Awning Shade Screen - How to peg down?

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Hi everyone,

We have a Kakadu Shade Screen that slides into our awning and we were try to figure out how to peg it down?

I have seen pictures of these pegged down with what looks like short ropes or elastic through the eyelets? If so where did you buy these short ropes or elastic?

Thanks
Duncan

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Duncan, yep that's what I've done, I've made mine about 30cm long doubled, so a piece 60cm long, tie ends together grab a lighter and melt ends to stop fraying then push through eyelet so the knot stops it from pulling through. At this length I can peg out on angle to give more room. Bunnings have bungee cord sold by the meter, mine is 8mm diameter, also bcf have it but cheaper at bunnings.

Cheers.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
For rubbers, I have just cut an old inner tube into 2cm width and stretch one between the eyelet and a peg. I passed the tubing through the eyelet and through itself to fasten to to the awning and if we want it further out a short bit of rope between it and the peg.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
I also put it out on an angle then attached standard rope metal springs to the eyelets by cable ties and then pegged the spring to the ground.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I just use the old occy straps.
Both hooks into the awning and the loop pegged to the ground.
They come in all different lengths to suit your need too.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
imagesCA8BWOBJ.jpgWe used those black rubber "occy straps". You can buy them from Mitre 10 or bunnings. We took off a hook, fed the black rubber thru the hole, re fitted the hook and then doubled the strap so both ends of the strap(hooks) were at the peg. This allows for wind movement.

Geoff

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Same as Matty4... We use the good old occy straps. Doubled up if we want the screen vertical or in a single line if we want the screen angled out. Just bear in mind that after a while they deteriorate and can become dangerous if stretched too far.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I use rubber adjustable straps from Costco. Seem to work pretty well and as they are rubber so have some give. They look a bit industrial but hey I couldn't find occy straps that tone with the van :)