17' Series Awning options...

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Hi all.

We have a carefree fiesta awning on the Expanda and it is getting to the end of its useful life. Will get us through the last 6 weeks of our trip but keen to look at new options when we get home.

Fabric is getting a bit shabby with a couple of tears near the tube and a few small holes up near where it meets the van., The hardware is also showing it's age and has had a hit when with its previous owner so a bit stiff to operate one side.

I can just buy a new complete fiesta awning and hardware kit but are there better awnings out there? I know a new carefree fiesta would be easiest swap as all holes etc should line up, but what have others done if replacing their awnings?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having replaced 2 awnings ove rthe years and checked out various others, I would say the Carefree is the better of the bunch in regards to durability...... if the arms are getting difficult to operate check that they are straight as more than likely the slide is distorted and is can be replaced, in a big storm I managed to damage one of the slides and things were difficult until i replaced it, of course many don't open their awnings correctly and cause damage which might have been the case previously...

Once the vinyl starts to fall apart, replacement of the whole thing is best, vinyls and barrel, internally the barrel is probably very rusty, I told my neighbour that but he just wanted the vinyl done so we did that and what a mongrel job that was, in a matter of months the barrel then shat itself, so wasn't the saving he thought it was ................ I have done a How To on changing the awning and its not hard but you do need at least 2 of you.
Recently changed the awning and barrel on Big Mal and found this mob https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/caravan-rv/awnings-accessories/awnings/ to have the genuine gear and good pricing, (its a real store in Brisbane) I saved a few hundred bucks, freight was quick as well, in addition this time around I fitted one of these for when Big Mal is parked up at home, https://jillaroo.com.au/product/jillaroo-awning-vinyl-cover-protector/ and it is keeping lots of crap off the roll.............

Reactions: Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
I’m thinking replacing like for like would be easiest and no real compelling reason to change brands I guess.

that jillaroo awning cover looks like a good idea too.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhouse

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
My jallaroo awning replacement looks identical to the original except for a place to run wires for the leds in the drum which i don't use. They have great boxing day sales.