16' Series Awning Issue

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
With my awning open, one of the black handles that tightens on the top bar of the awning is not holding bar in place. Gradually the bar starts to move inwards and the awning starts flopping around. Looking for both permanent and quick fix as currently away in country WA.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
With my awning open, one of the black handles that tightens on the top bar of the awning is not holding bar in place. Gradually the bar starts to move inwards and the awning starts flopping around. Looking for both permanent and quick fix as currently away in country WA.
Hi
try a guy rope to pull the arm tight

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Yes done that as normal practice and still no success. Happens more so when I have the awning legs out vertical vs on the side of the van.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
If it is only happening on one arm suggest that the thread has stripped on the locking knob or the plate the thread goes into? Either way maybe a new knob and plate could solve your issue, there is not much else there, do you have springs on your tie down ropes? If so that may be allowing a damaged lock nut to flex and move? If you use something like a ratchet strap to secure your awning until it is sorted, but don’t overdo the tension. Best of luck

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Better late than never, does not sound like you are using deflapper bars? Something like Aussie traveller, ends and centre rafters they will also take tha strain off your awning ,my awning is a lot more stable and quiet since I installed them

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As @poor but proud pointed out, you are just clamping a large nut down on the rail, if its a calm day pull open awning, remove the grub screw stop in the groove of the bottom arm so you can slip out the top rail, then swing the lower arm out to vertical, hold out with guy rope... you can then split the top rail into two and check out the slide lock to see if thread stripped or chewed...................

To get a good tension when you open the awning and set the top bar in poition, move the awning lever to close (holding barrel at same time, then pull down to apply tension where both top and bottom rails meet, when nice tension on awning do up the lock nut, do same to other side then loop guy around end of top rail passin over the the barrel junction then down to spring/peg ........... this should apply enough tension so that if your lock is poor it should stay in position and awning shouldn't open anymore ..... Of course if you are adding rails you have to jiggle the position so holes in the correct spot, just a bit of practice and it works easy.

Reactions: BJM

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
My emergency repair when the black threaded bolt would not hold it was to (almost) fully extend the awning and lock the top bar in place, then drill a hole through the top of the arm (about half way along) so a tent peg would fit in hold it where I wanted it. Now I can extend the awning, slide the locking bar around until I find where the tent peg drops through, then set the awning to retract so it tightens up the slack.