Another Mattress problem.

OZSHEP

Oct 5, 2012
Sandhurst Melbourne
We have a new 16-49-1 and have found the mattress has an almost 2 cm height difference between the large and smaller piece. We complained about it on its first service last week and was given a new mattress with (you guessed it) the same problem. We cant work out whether the smaller part of the mattress isn't thick enough or the draws it rests on aren't high enough. Has anyone else had this problem and got it resolved thru Jayco's warranty? As it stands you simply cant sleep 2 adults on the double mattress near the fridge. Considering we bought the Expanda to sleep 4 adults , feeling a bit ripped off at the moment.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Mine is the other way around, the bit that sits on the storage lids is too thick and I roll off that onto my wife (KEEP IT CLEAN FELLA'S).

I will be doing a mod on this soon, as some have already done, increase the height of the cupboard and get some custom made mattresses made up.

OZSHEP

Oct 5, 2012
Sandhurst Melbourne
Thanks for the replies fellas, So essentially you're saying its a design flaw that Jayco wont rectify? Does the same thing happen with the foam mattresses ?

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi there Ozshep,
We have a 16.49-1 also. We had the foam mattress and it was dead level, which is good, but the foam was way too firm and unforgiving for our liking. So we did the custom mattress mod that MolongMick is referring too.

Reactions: OZSHEP

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi OZSHEP
We have the same issue as MolongMick. I have tackled it thus far with a 10mm packer under the larger section. I had read on this forum about a few people that had thiers replaced under warranty and the problem was gone (cant remember which threads) so we will be getting it replaced at the next service.
As you have experienced, I was/am worried about the problem repeating itself, so last month we went ot the Sydney Caravan show and tried out the matttresses in the display vans. Guess what - they were perfect! I am therefopre confident that it is within Jayco's power to get me a mattress that fits.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

OZSHEP

Oct 5, 2012
Sandhurst Melbourne
Thanks Lara and relgate for your replies. Ill look forward to hearing how you get along relgate. We are waiting for a rely from Jayco so Ill let you how far we get with our mattress.
BTW Laras (Queen of mods):clap2: I hope you regard 'copying' as a form of flattery. The Missus and I have been checking out what you have done with your van. We ditched the table on the weekend and the L-shape lounge area now looks like yours now. Next we are going to start on the wardrobe. But I have to ask, do you have a designated area to hang your clothes? Thanks :)

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Lara and relgate for your replies. Ill look forward to hearing how you get along relgate. We are waiting for a rely from Jayco so Ill let you how far we get with our mattress.
BTW Laras (Queen of mods):clap2: I hope you regard 'copying' as a form of flattery. The Missus and I have been checking out what you have done with your van. We ditched the table on the weekend and the L-shape lounge area now looks like yours now. Next we are going to start on the wardrobe. But I have to ask, do you have a designated area to hang your clothes? Thanks :)

Oh thanks Ozshep, I am flattered, Copy away!! How much better is it without the table. So much space! Burnsy also has no table in his Expanda for the same reason!
I don't have any hanging space for clothes, for me the wardrobe having shelves was more practical and a better use of space. So when packing to go away I try not to take any clothes that wrinkle and crumple too much or need hanging.
And hey, when away, it's ok to look a little crumpled sometimes anyway! ;)

Good luck with the mods, let us know how it all goes!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Ozshep, as Lara said no table for us either and don't miss it! With the wardrobe I offered to do the shelves myself and leave a space about 150mm on one side for hanging, however wifey didn't want that but I still think it would be a good option just in case.

Reactions: SP4RKI and OZSHEP

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
[quote="Burnsy, post: 39892, member: 2089leave a space about 150mm on one side for hanging, however wifey didn't want that but I still think it would be a good option just in case.[/quote]

I have done just that and it is handy to hang a pair of trousers and slacks with a jacket in case we want to go to a club or some place for dinner. Like most, I just wear shorts and tee shirts on holidays and the shelves do for them.
DSCN4051.JPG

Reactions: OZSHEP and Burnsy

OZSHEP

Oct 5, 2012
Sandhurst Melbourne
Gotta love this site!! Some GREAT ideas!! Thanks for posting the pic chartrock. I think I like the idea of having a small place to hang a few shirts. Heaven forbid the wife has to do any ironing on while on hols! Never hear the end of it ;D Oh and removing the table was the best thing ever. Even shortened the new table's legs a little so its same height of the original table. No more struggling to get in and out of bed will be the best part. :)

Reactions: Lara

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
Hi OZSHEP
We have the same issue as MolongMick. I have tackled it thus far with a 10mm packer under the larger section. I had read on this forum about a few people that had thiers replaced under warranty and the problem was gone (cant remember which threads) so we will be getting it replaced at the next service.
As you have experienced, I was/am worried about the problem repeating itself, so last month we went ot the Sydney Caravan show and tried out the matttresses in the display vans. Guess what - they were perfect! I am therefopre confident that it is within Jayco's power to get me a mattress that fits.

I'll let you all know how I get on.
Hi Relgate,
We also have a 17.56/2 that we bought second hand from another member on the forum. (Lara's still trying to work out who..... He he) We are also very dissapointed with the split mattress beds, have you taken yours back under warranty yet? I would also like to try and swap it over to see if it makes a difference before I go ahead and do the bed mod..... do we only get a one year warranty for all this type of stuff?
Cheers, Sp4rki

Reactions: Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Relgate,
We also have a 17.56/2 that we bought second hand from another member on the forum. (Lara's still trying to work out who..... He he) We are also very dissapointed with the split mattress beds, have you taken yours back under warranty yet? I would also like to try and swap it over to see if it makes a difference before I go ahead and do the bed mod..... do we only get a one year warranty for all this type of stuff?
Cheers, Sp4rki

Yep, you got it SP4RKI, I'm still guessing! Even looked through the for sale threads, nothing.....
Hmmm........ My investigative skills are failing me!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Relgate,
Cheers, Sp4rki

Hi Mate
Haven't been in yet for the warranty items but when I do it is at the top of the list! I wont take any negative response lying down (poor pun intended, apologies to those with a fragile humour)

I'll report back when it goes in, but it migh have to wait till after the June long weekend