Another bike carrier

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Why not just purchase the bike rack number plate $39.oo from RTA (NSW that is)!

https://www.myplates.com.au/design_a_plate/order_bike_rack_plate.html?vehicletype=LIGHT_VEHICLE
Yep, that's what we have, mind you it took 4 goes to get it. Went to Dept. of Transport, ordered, paid and waited for our bike rack number plate, when it arrived it was the regular car size plate. Staff were apologetic and re-ordered. Couple of weeks later exactly the same thing happened. Very embarrassed staff re-ordered, boldly marking BIKE RACK PLATE on the form. Guess what? Same thing again!!!! This time they gave us the plate to keep as a spare and then re-ordered our bike rack size again, finally with success :biggrin1:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Why wouldn't you just unscrew the van number plate and screw it to the bike carrier for those times when you take the van away with the carrier?

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
Thats what Jayco HQ want me 2 do, supplied me with tail board to attach to bike rack, and they wired in lights via a 7 pin plug (which was good of em), but its a pain to do it.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
In NSW since you cant order a proper bike rack plate, Order a second full size plate & keep it screwed to the bike rack telling the RTA that the original went missing.
Not sure what the legalitys would be having two of the same plate fitted to the trailer even if one is obscured

Reactions: Bonners

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
In NSW since you cant order a proper bike rack plate, Order a second full size plate & keep it screwed to the bike rack telling the RTA that the original went missing.
Not sure what the legalitys would be having two of the same plate fitted to the trailer even if one is obscured

They will probably issue you with new plates all together if you told them that!

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I remember trying to get a plate for my bike rack in NSW. From memory, even if you take it off your van and put it on your rack then it may be legally too high. (NSW). I also think if you tell them you lost your rear plate, they'll give you a new one straight away, with a different rego number.

NSW make things difficult.

This is why I ended up making a bike rack that fits onto the front draw bar.

Another 5 advantages with having a bike rack on the front are

1. You can always see your bikes in the rear vision mirror as your driving so if anythig gets loose you see it, and fix it before it's too late.
2. No chance of obstructing rego plate.
3. The 2nd plate for rack isn't needed. (Not that you can even get one in NSW)
4. My van (14.44.2) has fold down bed at rear so I don't need to remove bikes to set up.
5. Extra weight at rear of van isn't a concern.

I`m happy with my front mounted triple bike rack. I`ve driven it to the Sunshine Coast and back and had no dramas at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanda

Geekdeck

Oct 29, 2013
Gday,

I have one of those rack brackets on my Expanda in Victoria. We have no issues at all. The racks mount on the rear with ease and we mount an auxiliary plate on the bike rack. My van has a fold down bed each end. We have a bike rack attached that just clips off. We did initially have the bikes on the front however this caused issues. It adds to drawbar weight and put us over the limit for our vehicle. Adding them to the back fixed this. The bikes got in the way when we turned sharp corners or backed into a site. Putting on the back fixed this. We also found that you had to take the bikes off before disconnecting the van from the car as they got in the way. This made it hard and put you under pressure when your car is blocking the caravan park drive way when you are parking and trying to take bikes off and disconnect the car. Now with them on the rear I can take them off in my own time and not block the drive way.

They are also a lot easier to access on the rear. When they were on the front it was very difficult to put them on and off and not good for the back. On the rear they are directly in front of you with nothing in between you and the bike. You can be in a good posture when loading them.

It seems illogical that NSW would not supply auxiliary plates for caravans and yet you can be fined for not having them. Other states supply them for caravans. I will follow it up with NSW Transport Roads and Maritime services and see what I can find out.

Cheers.

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Hi all,

To solve this issue with taking bikes with the van I recently bought an X-tech bike rack that straps on to the rear tyre of the Paj. Only two bikes though but this is fine for us. It is a just fit for the 265/70/R16 & have to take the hard tyre cover off when we use it but thats no big deal. It is rated for 30kg. I wasn't expecting much when I ordered it but was pleasantly surpised with the quality. It is steel tubular construction & all hardware is quite substantial. After using it I think it was a bargain at $75 delivered off Ebay.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfCL9PCl1eATHt56D7pS-LG0isfMq6s63CuJs2HDRUZBp44pEr.jpg

Did a 4hrs each way run with it on the back. performed purfectly & no issues with backing or interference with the drawbar on our touring 1649-1. 2 x 26" steel frame MTB's on the rack, bang on the 30kg limit.

If this is a fix for anyone then great...

Cheers,
Frosty.

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfCL9PCl1eATHt56D7pS-LG0isfMq6s63CuJs2HDRUZBp44pEr.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfCL9PCl1eATHt56D7pS-LG0isfMq6s63CuJs2HDRUZBp44pEr.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: Stan Lee

Geekdeck

Oct 29, 2013
Hi Again,

I have got some further information in regards to caravan auxiliary number plates in NSW.

I contacted NSW Transport Roads and Maritime services and spoke to a group manager. She said it was purely due to a wording in the legislation "Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007" in relation to what an axillary number plate is. It states that "an auxiliary number-plate is a number-plate for the purposes of this Regulation and is taken to be issued for use on a motor vehicle". She said that because it was described as "motor vehicle" that they have decided not to release them to caravans as they do not have a motor....

She said that the legislation is managed by Transport NSW. She also stated that Transport NSW is already working on a submission to remove the word "Motor" from the legislation therefore allowing the use of an auxiliary number-plate on a caravan.

I have called transport NSW in regards to timing for this change. They are following this up and will let me know shortly. I will keep you updated.

In the meantime people in NSW will just have to move their caravan number plate to the bike rack. This was suggested by both NSW Transport Roads and Maritime services and the NSW police as a suitable alternative until the legislation is changed.

Reactions: blacky and Bonners

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I took my van in today for warranty work and was tossing up whether to put the plate on or not......I opted to slip the bike rack on (number plate holder)!

Geekdeck

Oct 29, 2013
Hi all,

I have now discussed and had confirmation from transport NSW. They are in fact currently submitting draft changes to the legislation in NSW. They have removed the word "motor" from "an auxiliary number-plate is a number-plate for the purposes of this Regulation and is taken to be issued for use on a motor vehicle". This change will mean they will be able to supply auxiliary number-plates for caravans and trailers.

They confirmed that this should be in place within 2 months. This would bring them in line with the rest of our states.

No more numberplate issues.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all,

I have now discussed and had confirmation from transport NSW. They are in fact currently submitting draft changes to the legislation in NSW. They have removed the word "motor" from "an auxiliary number-plate is a number-plate for the purposes of this Regulation and is taken to be issued for use on a motor vehicle". This change will mean they will be able to supply auxiliary number-plates for caravans and trailers.

They confirmed that this should be in place within 2 months. This would bring them in line with the rest of our states.

No more numberplate issues.

Hooray.....someones using their brains....after all it's more money for NSW transport! Thanks Geekdeck for the update!