annexe advice

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
Hi, I am thinking of buying an annexe for the expanda as we are going to the gold coast next April school holidays and staying in one caravan park for 10 days. I have never had the need for one yet because we have always been on the move and only staying a few nights in one place at a time.I have seen prices of canvess ones and are a bit out of my price range but have seen the ones on e-bay from coast rv awnings around the $1400. Just wondering if anyone has had any feed back on how good or bad they are, as it will be only something we use every now and again. They seem to be about $1000 cheaper than the others .Thanks for any advice, Barney

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Not sure about the ones you are talking about but after just buying one I can share a couple points.
We have a 16ft expanda and we spent about $1600 on our Tebbs Canvas Annexe, we already had AFK otherwise that would have been a few hundred more. They design it to fit your van and they fit all the press studs, canvas slide extruding's etc (as do other companies, I went local). We tried to keep it pretty simple, you can spend another $1000 pretty easy on extras. We did get a front verandah on ours as well included.
Setting up the annexe the first time was not as simple as I would have thought, we have the hang of it now and I think I would put it up on most trips over a couple of days long.
Keep an eye on ebay as they do come up for sale quite a bit, but you may need someone to fit the brackets etc for you.
I think in the end you get what you pay for. We have ours up at the moment in the front yard, if you want any photos let me know.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
ohhhh ...... hope the boss don't read this ....... i wouldn't touch the universal coast annex at all, we have fitted a few and they are a nightmare of universal panels to fit anything but never properly...... and usually take us a full day to sort out! and have a lousy fit as well a mossie don't even need to swerve to get in.
A local guy makes our awning from our measurements for each van and they are brilliant, simple to put on off with AFK's and pick and choose door window locations to suit your own needs. mind you they are a $1000 dearer, but my sanity would be happier with a custom job made to fit than a jury rigged heaps of straps, but if you like jigsaws go with the universals ones :) i like watching ppl put them on <------ add sadistic grin here

Reactions: Bmhdg76

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
thanks Dave, this is the type of info I was after and yes it was the coast annexe on e-bay I was looking at. hmmm, might have to save up that extra grand I think because I like to be sitting down with a beer with half hour of arriving and setting up, the whole idea of an expanda.
thanks, Barney. ......stupid question, but what are AFK's

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
AFK's ( anti flap kits) are extendable brackets that fit on the van and awning barrel and clamp the awning canvas, they have a rope track in them so the end walls just slide into them for a neat waterproof annex. simple to fit yourself if handy with a drill and bitdriver

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Gday.

I have a 16.49.3 and purchased the generic Coast to c Annex. Very happy with the setup - just came back from 2+ weeks of Free Camping and it went well even in rain. Used the draft stopper etc. Yes, they take a little working out the first time, as you have to work out which loops to use to get the correct angle for the end pieces. Also have to figure out which insert to use to get the correct width . Once that was sorted all I did was mark which loops to use and leave the inserts attached to the ends. On the front end, I put in a detour on the rope slide as it would normally drop across the side window and didn't want any scratch or rub mark. It also has tensioning clips at each end which assists in keeping the rollout awning from flapping.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi Barney
An alternate view here.

Not sure if you have beds for everyone in the van or are using a tent to supplement things. This is important.

We owned an Eagle then an Expanda 16.49-2 for 5 years and like you seemed to stay a few nights here and there and occasionally a week. We had a Kakadu annex for each of them. Only twice did we set up completely and for out latest Starcraft van opted not to buy one and save the not the insignificant coin.

Even in areas where it has been cold and wet the awning along with the right clothes (and of course the van itself) suited the four of us. The whole reason we went to an Expanda van was to make it easy and the annex was just more setup and pack up we felt.

Of course if you need the space or are setting up tents or indeed planning more longer stays then perhaps it's worth it.

The Kakadu was fine but but heavy as it was PVC and not true canvas. If you found yourself not using it, it will take up valuable space.

Cheers
Andrew

Reactions: benandjordansmum

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
If it is simply a little extra privacy you are after and not an extra room in which to put everything, then I might suggest a "shade cloth" extension to the awning. This adds shade, privacy and some extra space under the cover, but not water proof.

Simply measure the length of your awning.

We picked our up at the Jayco dealer and it was only about $130 - far cheaper than a full annex (which we also have, but never use).

Takes 5 minutes to set up too!

Reactions: AddItUp

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
We have a privacy screen like what @ROnEM suggests and it works really well.
Although we are thinking about an annex for the winter months so we have a place to get stuff out of the weather.
Another possibility we are thinking of is a tent at the end of the awning.

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
It is great to get lots of different peoples ideas, and the annexe is something we have done without for 2 and a half years. At this stage both kids share one end with a curtain hung down from roof support pole making 2 little cubby holes. The annexe was just an idea as we are plgoing to gold coast next april for 2 weeks and staying in one van park the whole time. A first for us as we normally do 2 or 3 week road trips just staying a couple of nights at any one place. I like the idea of maybe just the shade cloth privacy screen for one end and the side, a hell of a lot cheaper than full annexe. And I am not sure how often we will use full annexe..hmmmm food for thought

Gallo

Jan 9, 2013
Lake Macquarie
I use our annex all the time unless we are only going away for a weekend. I like the privacy and extra room room it gives. We usually store it in the rear lift up locker and it really doesn't take up much room. We do not free camp very often so storage is not an issue. It's full canvass with anti flap kit from Valley Canvas and was purchased with our van. The only thing I. Would like to add to it is a front verandah set up so I can sit under shade and watch the rug rats ride their bikes around in the afternoons.i must add that our annex legs angle out slightly and do not drop down vertically. Make a big difference to floor area even though it physically not much difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    934 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Great looking annex @Gallo Where did you get it from?

Also, where is the park in the picture? Looks a lovely place.

Cheers, Wayne

Gallo

Jan 9, 2013
Lake Macquarie
Hi Wayne,

Annex is from Valley Canvas (0249364778) I think they supply Jayco Newcastle.

The picture is at Big4 Soldiers Point In Port Stephens. Up here at the moment for our annual R&R holiday. It's a top spot.

Cheers Mark

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi barney120,

we have the Australia Wide Hybrid annex which gives us the flexibility to erect any wall we want or all walls and even with all walls on we can still roll them all up to open the whole space up.

Dave

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We have both, we use the shade sides for short trips and have recently used our Tebbs annexe for a 2 week holiday at 2 different parks. The best thing we did was the practice setup in our front yard. The annexe is surprisingly easy and quick to put up, we all get involved so that helps. One thing I never thought of before buying an annexe was caravan sites can be on slopes in caravan parks. We copped 2 with the same awkward slope, so in the end the kids still slept in the van. Having said that we found the annexe great, in the end it was turned into a family room. The verandah worked out well, if we keep the van I might get the add a room. .

Cheers Geoff

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
[quote="Gallo, post: 62541, member: use our annex all the time unless we are only going away for a weekend. I like the privacy and extra room room it gives. We usually store it in the rear lift up locker and it really doesn't take up much room. We do not free camp very often so storage is not an issue. It's full canvass with anti flap kit from Valley Canvas and was purchased with our van. The only thing I. Would like to add to it is a front verandah set up so I can sit under shade and watch the rug rats ride their bikes around in the afternoons.i must add that our annex legs angle out slightly and do not drop down vertically. Make a big difference to floor area even though it physically not much difference.[/quote]

Forget the patio and look at one of the 2.4m compact gazebos. They take up a bit more space but they are handy for a picnic in the park and the kids footy games when you aren't camping.

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
Hi barney120,

we have the Australia Wide Hybrid annex which gives us the flexibility to erect any wall we want or all walls and even with all walls on we can still roll them all up to open the whole space up.

Dave
Hi Dave, I like the idea of being able to set up any wall you want at any time, sort of the idea my wife liked about the shade cloth side and ends, but I am still leaning towards full annexe. Since you are just over the hill from us, did they come and measure up the van or it comes as a standard thing. Already have a 3x3 gazebo as icetechaus suggested and really like its flexability to set up any where.
Thanks, Barney