Electrical Anderson plug wiring ???

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
My discovery came with a 7 pin and a Anderson plug I now have the car wired up with Anderson plug to 2nd battery I connected trailer to car and nothing in van works and yes the plug on car has power to it van has a battery system also is the van wired up standard to run lights etc and run fridge while towing from Anderson plug or do I need to have done if it should work where do I start searching for problems ? Thanks

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
I connected trailer to car and nothing in van works and yes the plug on car has power to it van has a battery system

If you have a battery fitted in the van then the lights etc. should work without the car being connected. Have a look at this post to see what the setec looks like. Depending on how it has been wired the fridge may only work when the car is plugged in and running. The most common way for jayco seems to be to run the 150ltr and up fridges from a separate line.

where do I start searching for problems
First steps to take are:

Make sure the main switch is turned on. You can see in the post i refer to above they most often look like a normal house light switch.

Check for blown fuses in the setec. There are fuses for different circuits and a main one (usually marked as Batt) the main one will stop everything from working if it is blown.

Check for blown inline fuse at the van battery. Locate your battery and find the inline fuse which is usually positioned close to the battery somewhere. if this fuse is blown nothing will work either. When my van was delivered there wasn't even a fuse in the holder.

Make sure your van battery is not flat. The setec will automatically disconnect the battery once it gets below 10.5v and nothing will work.

We have had several members that have had faulty main switches so if your fuses are all ok then that might be worth testing. I have also seen bad/loose connections on the back of the setec but if you are not confident with wiring you may be better off seeking out a sparky to check it out.

Last edited:

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
Ok everything 12v works from vans battery lights ,fans etc my 7 pin plug is wired to my cars 2nd battery so when 7 pin is connected all 12v stuff in van works without draining cars main battery I done Anderson plug so if & when free camping I could just leave Anderson plug connected only saves draining vans battery plus I thought it would charge vans battery and keep my 150 ltr fridge a bit colder while towing and yes it has a setec the same as the 1 in link you posted when battery in van is disconnected and Anderson plug still connected should lights etc work ???
Thanks.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Im a bit confused on what your trying to say, but did have a long day at work today so it may just be me.
Does this help you, Plug your 7 pin in only does your fridge work? does your van work? Unplug the 7 pin and plug in the andrson does your fridge work? does your van work?
I would think it would be wired up to charge your battery through your 7pin and just run your fridge from the anderson.
If it is wired this way I would run a low voltage cut out relay (jaycar) on your 2nd battery to save it from being over worked this would give you a few hours of fridge time when parked up site seeing.

Reactions: Delano

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
when battery in van is disconnected and Anderson plug still connected should lights etc work ???
Thanks.
It will depend on how it is wired but yes usually it should. If it is wired to the aux input of the setec it should power the van loads even without the van battery connected. If it is connected directly to the van battery and you turn off the master switch then you will loose power to the van even with the anderson plug connected.
you can see from the setec diagram below that the aux in (shown as external dc input) goes through the blocking diode and then directly to the fuses. You will need to establish Where the anderson wiring connects in to the van wiring. it could go directly to the van battery or to the setec aux in or may just be wired to the fridge only.

setec diagram.jpg

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Good info @boots33 :)
Had the anderson plug fitted to ours prior to pickup to power the fridge and just tidied up the split conduit the other day and noticed two wires coming from the plug.
Tested the feed to the fridge but ran out of light to track where the other one goes.... Now I know where to look :encouragement:

Reactions: Rod.F

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
IMG_2530.JPG
I made up this extension lead for when free camping and car is not attached to van in thinking i could have the lead connected to Anderson plug to use my cars second battery not the vans battery just to run lights etc fridge i was not concerned about as it can run of gas that's the only reason I thought I could use Anderson plug so while I am towing and both plugs are connected should the vans battery switch be on or off .

VDJ200R

Jan 19, 2014
Perth
I think you will find when you have a seven pin plug and anderson plug to power fridge they leave the earth wire for the setec in the seven pin plug and power for fridge, power for setec in the anderson plug, also earth for fridge in anderson plug. I only know this as when I unpluged the seven pin plug with no battery in the van the interior lights would turn off and vice versa if I unplugged the anderson. Turn your battery switch off and see if this is the case and my anderson only has one earth wire and two power wires in the positive side.

Reactions: Rod.F

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
while I am towing and both plugs are connected should the vans battery switch be on or off .

There really is no reason to turn off the battery switch while travelling of course there is no real reason why you should leave it on as well.
It will still depend on where your anderson wiring goes to.... if your wiring goes through the setec then you should leave the switch on if you want to try and get some charge from the vehicle.

For what it's worth i always leave mine on while travelling.