And so the wait begins... Order placed.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Well we have done it, we are now at the start of the dreaded long wait.
We placed our order today for our new Expanda. We have been told it will be here around end of August.

As my signature says, we have done the tent thing and then the soft floor camper, but we saw the Expandas around and knew that they would be the best for us. We really got sick of the setup and pack up time of the camper. Especially as that was one of the reasons that stopped us from using it as we planned, for the quick weekend getaways. Looking forward to being able to simpler pull up and be done in 10 minutes!

We have ordered a 14.44-4(OB) with a few extras. We feel we got a good price compared to the deal that we were offered at the caravan sales late last year.

Now for the extras...
- Extended drawbar (with a view to put on a storage box like Brad or Hit the road) as I like the idea of side access to the toolbox for gennie and the like)
- Drifter control panel
- Second water tank
- Extra annexe light (for offside of van)
- 150l fridge. Would have preferred a Waeco or Engel compressor fridge as they are physically smaller and am not really sure of the 3-ways. Time will tell if it gets pulled out and replaced.
- 12v water pump
- Lifestyle entertainment pack including Wineguard wind up antennae
- Extra door for storage under dinette seat for outside access
- Removed the microwave as we never use one to be replaced with a pot drawer.

Would have loved so much more but as being a young family, will just have to do as we can. I considered the HWS but we have the Coleman HWOD already so will make do with that. When it dies, I may put the HWS in.

We didn't really want the Lifestyle pack, but was thrown in as an extra. If the gear is not the best it will eventually get replaced as I cannot stand bad picture or sound quality! I used to work in a high end sight and sound store, so I got spoilt! It is good to have all the wiring already done for me though!

We only ever free camp (at places like Gordon Country) and already have a lot of stuff like gennie, inverter and solar etc so will add them to the van ourselves. Glad the caravan show is on next week as will be looking at what other toys we may want to get!

We figure that the bunks are ideal for our kids now 6 and 4.

One question SWMBO wants to know is though... Where does everyone store their Porta-Pottie in these models?

Well that's it for now... Let the counting begin.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Congratulations! :applouse: you will be very happy with that setup, our boys are 7 & 4 & they love having their own bunks, the bottom bunk is actually the best one as it's so dark & warm in there it's like a little cocoon.

We store our Porta-Pottie under the main cupboard thats next to the fridge there is a small door that swings to the side & makes it real easy to slide the toilet out, but you will most likely need to get a new toilet tho as most of the ones on the market don't fit, we found that height was the main problem.

I think from memory ours is a dometic, the smallest one in their range.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
We store our Porta-Pottie under the main cupboard thats next to the fridge there is a small door that swings to the side & makes it real easy to slide the toilet out, but you will most likely need to get a new toilet tho as most of the ones on the market don't fit, we found that height was the main problem.

I think from memory ours is a dometic, the smallest one in their range.

Congratulations, we love our 14-44-4 OB. We have had it since October last year and have already had over 30 nights away in it.

We were going to buy a Porta Pottie when we got the van but the cupboard CJ1177 talks about has the Airconditioning in there so that stuffed that idea up.

Happy Waiting :D

Duncan

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Congratulations, we love our 14-44-4 OB. We have had it since October last year and have already had over 30 nights away in it.

We were going to buy a Porta Pottie when we got the van but the cupboard CJ1177 talks about has the Airconditioning in there so that stuffed that idea up.

Happy Waiting :D

Duncan
That's actually one of the reasons why we chose to put the A/C on the roof

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
That's actually one of the reasons why we chose to put the A/C on the roof

We originally ordered with the roof top A/C but once the final measures came in it was only going to fit in the shed door by about 5mm so we decided to just go back to the standard A/C

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi, and welcome to the forum. We too ordered a 14.44-4ob earlier this year and are still waiting for delivery. Seems to be a popular model.
cheers

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi and welcome
My 2 cents is to get the hot water. Even though you have the coleman, it is so convenient having it in the sink, and no doubt will cost a lot more $$$ to do it later on.
Also. I know I'm soft, but the other thing we love is the outdoor shower. Very convenient and multi purpose for washing hot plates, outdoor washing up etc.

Good luck for the delivery

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi guys, welcome from us as well. I agree with relgate, if you can stretch the budget get the hot water up front you won't regret it, but you may wish you had later on if you leave it out. Reckon it could be painful to add later. We also like the external shower, good for the kids to clean up before coming inside. Would also be convenient as a proper external shower if there isn't a shower inside. Congrats on the new addition, the wait is a killer.......HM

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

We probably will end up getting a HWS but will do that ourselves. We are lucky that the father in law is a caravan repairer in his retired life, so he can do that for us. That is also one of the reasons we went the 14.44-4 as we figure when the kids decide they won't wont to be in with us we will rip the bunks out and change it over to a shower/toilet unit. Who knows though as we may want to upgrade before then anyway!

BJ

and yes. Not looking forward to the wait!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase!
We don't have a HWS, but wish we did. Is something I'll be looking at adding in the near future!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
:welcome:
yep that is the same reason why we started in vans. You would constantly sit in the tent and watch some van rock up and be fully set up in what felt like minutes. And then gone again in a blink of an eye.

on Thursday night this week I turned around to my wife and said let's go somewhere.
friday came around, I went to work, my wife hooked up the van once she had finished with the car in the morning, she drove in to work and picked me up on the way through and now we sit in Barwon heads for the weekend.
Its raining but who cares when you have the comfort of a van :thumb:

Reactions: Bmhdg76

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
yep that is the same reason why we started in vans. You would constantly sit in the tent and watch some van rock up and be fully set up in what felt like minutes. And then gone again in a blink of an eye.

on Thursday night this week I turned around to my wife and said let's go somewhere.
friday came around, I went to work, my wife hooked up the van once she had finished with the car in the morning, she drove in to work and picked me up on the way through and now we sit in Barwon heads for the weekend.

Did she remember to pack the kids?

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Yes the outlaws have a motor home (Fiat) that they have made and it pi$$ed us off last time we went away with them. They were packed up in five minutes. Need I say anymore?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria

Rather Barwon Heads in the rain than here at home. Enjoy.