advice on tow vehicle needed

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
good old faithful TD42 Patrol mate, thats what you want
not fast (not thirsty either - 14L/100 towing) but pulls 3.5t all day every day

Yeah but Col, some of us with real tow vehicles have driven to our destination, set up the Expanda, had a 10 day holiday, packed up and are back home before the poor old TD42 has plucked top gear on the way there! :chuncky:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
good old faithful TD42 Patrol mate, thats what you want
not fast (not thirsty either - 14L/100 towing) but pulls 3.5t all day every day

Yeah but Col, some of us with real tow vehicles have driven to our destination, set up the Expanda, had a 10 day holiday, packed up and are back home before the poor old TD42 has plucked top gear on the way there! :chuncky:

now play fair

half the holiday is the trip, so you may as well enjoy it, and see it
dont have to do 110km just to get there
100 suits me

Russ

Jul 7, 2015
melbourne
Hey Chartrock,what other tow vehicle did you have in mind other than the mazda. I have heard great reports about the Dmax.I,m still divided between the two.I have the mazda in front on power and seating position.

Ash

Apr 29, 2015
Geelong
Just as a comparison, I towed my 16.49-1OB with two full water tanks, two gas bottles and fully loaded with family 'stuff' for 6,500 Kms to central Aus and back behind the VF Calais-V and averaged 15.5l/100Kms for the trip. On the main roads I sat on 100Kph no probs at all.

Reactions: DRW

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hey Chartrock,what other tow vehicle did you have in mind other than the mazda. I have heard great reports about the Dmax.I,m still divided between the two.I have the mazda in front on power and seating position.
Hi Russ, we looked at most of the utes available at the time, ignored the Triton, a personal dislike (Sorry @17triton :behindsofa:) and the new Navara was not available at the time. We even looked at a Jeep but they were too expensive. The Hilux was ruled out because of its 2500Kg towing capacity, both the Colorado and the D-max I felt were pulling a lot more power from a smaller motor and would possibly have more problems because of it. So basically it was the motor size which swayed us to the BT50, the Ranger being a bit more expensive for much the same vehicle. Personal opinions only, I don't want to start another tug war. :fencing: