advice on tow vehicle needed

Russ

Jul 7, 2015
melbourne
Hi, having just spent three years tracking down and purchasing a 16.49.3 OB .(yes I do take my time ) I,m now on the hunt for a tow vehicle. I,m keen on the BT50. Has any one got fuel figures for the mazda towing a van similar in size to mine.
Russ

Reactions: Smirke

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Russ, welcome and congrats of the new van. Navara is of course the best car going around ...... (shhhh. Not everyone here knows that). Hopefully it wasnt a 2012 model you spent 3 years looking for ;)

Theres a rule here. If theres no photos it either doesnt exist or it never happend

Reactions: stuartcarr2002

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
There's a few BT owners floating around on here with the same van. I'm sure they'll pop in eventually and tell you what you want to know

Oh! welcome to the forum :welcome:

Reactions: Drover

Russ

Jul 7, 2015
melbourne
thanks or the welcome ,May 2015 both the wife and myself very pleased.Dissappointed with the solar set up though , no output figures available as according to Page brothers it doesn,t work with other components and causes no end of troubles,pity as the 12v is great for free camping which we plan on doing a lot of. Once I sorted out a to vehicle other than the trusty falcon !!!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
thanks or the welcome ,May 2015 both the wife and myself very pleased.Dissappointed with the solar set up though , no output figures available as according to Page brothers it doesn,t work with other components and causes no end of troubles,pity as the 12v is great for free camping which we plan on doing a lot of. Once I sorted out a to vehicle other than the trusty falcon !!!
Huh?

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Everyone but the few will tell you fantastic figures. My vehicle Ford Ranger is pretty terrible.... exact figures can't tell you cause after the initial calculation of $50 per 100km return I knew what I had to, my holidays are worked out from that given similar fuel figures to what I can't remember. It's all a bit fairy......I suppose I could be exact and calculate after several thousand km and then differentiate between when towing and not towing and blah blah blah..............but really.................you can't trust anyone............it's all a conspiracy.............don't tell anyone...........shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............if it gets out we are all lost..................... jeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeee............I've lost my twinkies...............Oh no......that's not my twinkies.........that's my nuggets....................better go to bed.....

Reactions: bigcol

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Gday @Russ my BT has 32's bullbar etc and is a manual towing a 16.49.3 and constantly get around the 15's give or take given the area we are travelling. Thats fully loaded to etc

Welcome to the forum

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I bought one of these . it the second one I,ve owned
$_12.jpg

The unit also automatically disconnects the battery if the terminal voltage drops below the selected Voltage (user selectable), and then reconnects it once it is charged again.

It features an LCD panel that displays battery voltage, the solar panel voltage and the active charge mode.

"Unlike other regulators, you can see the true status of the charging system at a glance".

Features

*User adjustable charging voltages*Suits Wet or Sealed Lead Acid, Gel, AGM ,Lead Calcium, Lead Antimony, Ni-CD, NiFe Batteries*Microprocessor control PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) for optimum charging*3 stage charge algorithms, Bulk, Absorption and Float charge with status on LCD display*Ampere Hour logging readouts in 3 sets, today and last 2 days*5-state LED indications of battery levels*Electronic overcharge protection and back current blocking to solar panel*Dusk to dawn automatic on-off with 10 selectable on-off programs*Adjustable battery low voltage level disconnect and reconnect for DC outputs*Battery reverse protection

Specifications:

Battery voltage: 12V
Maximum PV panel open circuit voltage: 26V
Continuous load / charge current: 30A
Maximum charge current (5 mins.): 35A
Maximum load current (5 mins.): 35A
Operation current (no load and PV): 15mA
Voltage across terminal (PV to battery): 1.2V
Voltage across terminal (battery to load): 0.6V
Electronic Blocking*: Yes
Battery reverse polarity protection: Yes
Overcharge & Over-discharge protection: Yes
Battery status LED indiction: 5-state LED Indications
Charging status indiction: 3-state LCD Display
Recommended wire size: #10AWG
Weight: 0.48kg
Dimension: 150(W) x 85(D) x 50(H) mm
Fuse: 40A
Operating ambient temperature: -10 to 50°C
Over temperature protection: Yes
Battery charging float voltage setting: Adjustable from 12.0-15.0V
Battery charging bulk voltage setting: Adjustable from 12.0-16.0V

DC load control mode ( For DC load terminal)
Low Voltage Disconnect(LVD): 8-16V
Low Voltage Reconnect(LVR): 8-16V

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have an auto BT50. only 5 months old with around 7000kms on it. My last trip with the van on, three tanks full returned 16.2, 18.5 and 15.6. The engine has not run in yet so I am hoping it will improve. I just returned from a run to Sydney from the Gold Coast without the van and two tanks full returned 8.9 L/100 km on each. Very happy with the truck.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Dumb question? Why is it diesels do better on fuel once they've 'run in'?
I think any vehicle performance improves when it is run in. It seems high spots on cylinders and rings wear down and the top of the cylinders seal better once this happens. Rings and piston match each other and seal so the compression is better.