Advice on new car to tow caravan

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Looks like a great buy, I wouldn't remove the cargo barrier unless you require the use of the back seats (3rd row)
The sump guard is aftermarket from a mob called Bushskinz, great product, I have one my Pajero after a Skippy took out the original a few years back
You wont have a problem with most car parks unless they are less than 2 mtrs (very rare) but I have come across the odd one

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Highly recommend the NRMA inspection ...and you've got a solid report to base any warranty issues in the future.

Be wary of the unknown underground car parks. I avoid them as much as possible as its a bit embarrassing / unfriendly getting out to inspect even though they have signs indicating height. I doubt myself and have to remember if the air bags are deflated.

The known ones are fine and I'm gung ho in my approach to them...I have 20cm clearance at home so have to remember to keep the roof racks empty.

It looks like a good vehicle...so good luck with the deliberations

Reactions: Delano

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Thanks again for the feedback and advice.

I think we will be buying it. The Mrs said ok to buy too.

I was not planning on it and I could see if I could book it in for an inspection next week but would have to negotiate with the dealer but it looks like the owner looked after it well and has been serviced properly so there should be nothing wrong with it.

I did check NMRA prices though and for non member, 4wd car, it costs $339.

Don't think I will get it inspected though.......

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
I spoke with my mechanic and he was saying Diesel engines and not really good for short trips such as dropping the kids to school, running to the shops etc.

Should I be worried about this? Twice a week I usually drive to work and back which is about 22kms each way on Victoria road in Sydney. That may be a bit better for it to give it a bit of a run, or does it need highway kms.

Never really considered it as being a potential problem...

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Should be okay in my limited experience.

I was also conscious of that as ours gets very little use when not towing. I realised the 1k dump run several times a week was not ideal so now deliberately use it for longer runs when possible . ...as long as I dont have to use a car park I'm iffy about.

I was advised to avoid lots of little trips...unders 10kms...and get the diesel working harder. My compromise is a 100k run every couple of weeks and hope that's enough.

It was also suggested that I buy an engine diagnostic thing to monitor engine performance, particularly when towing. I haven't used it yet but it looks relatively simple.

As you can tell, I'm not into engines, performance etc and rely heavily on those who know what they're talking about.. and I've been down the same track as you.

My patrol has still only done 30000k and has to last a long time. We paid more than expected for it and thought long and hard about it...wondered if it was overkill...but it's allowed us to do much more ...so we look after it as best we can.

But to the unitiated, the world of used car sales is a minefield . ..best wishes for a stress free experience!

Reactions: Delano

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Hey Matey,

Ignore the comment about short trips and the engine, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst) that comment rates about a 1. It is how you interpret the comment that matters. Everyone knows that Diesel engines are at there optimum performance when cruising the freeway but that does not mean that it cant handle the short trips.

I have been in the industry for 18 years and have never had an advisor submit a warranty claim for "not driving the car enough" as the cause of a problem other than maybe a flat battery where it has not been driven at all.

It also sounds like you have pretty much committed to buying the car at those prices so you will find it difficult now to get much of a discount. But if you have left it open then ask for a 25k changeover including the transfer into your name and use the wife as the excuse and say that you have had to walk her up from $$ to get this car, they should do the deal at that figure.

The main thing is to enjoy the buying experience, there will always be negative comments somewhere from someone no matter what we buy in life.

Denlo's are next door to me and are a main franchise dealer so if something does go wrong in the next 3 months they have to fix it regardless, that is your statuary warranty you get on all used cars. Then you have the manufactures warranty anyway. You have the peace of mind in the fact you are buying from a good dealer group.

If there is something mechanically wrong with the car it will go wrong pretty much straight away anyway so again you just take It back to be fixed. Remember they are all machines and machines do go wrong from time to time.

When you next go there, have a look up the road and you will see a showroom under renovations at the lights, I am the General Manager of all the brands you see surrounding it, Holden/Suzuki/Nissan/Hyundai/Jeep etc and I run the used car yard over the road with all the Holden signage.

It is a good looking car and I think if you and the wife are happy then go for it mate. Go down there, drop the Kluger off and drive the Pajero away, toot your horn as you pass me up the road!!!!!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds like good advice to me.

Re diesels: am I creating any long term problems by using mine for towing mainly? and for shortish trips around town?

The only issue I've found so far is the eyebrow lift when I take it in for a service....low kms compared with the norm.....and the need to keep an eye on the battery charge. Too much drain from constant electronics but that's easily overcome.

@Jared01 I hope you get it sorted out easily. I reckon confidence in the vehicle is paramount when towing....and @warren cook sounds like a great contact'

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Re diesels: am I creating any long term problems by using mine for towing mainly? and for shortish trips around town?

NO
well, not really

old style diesels it was not recommended to do short startups continuously as the engine has not "warmed up" to optimum temperature

but you also had to "glow" them to get them to start - some older ones even had petrol engines to start and warm up the diesel (tractors and the like)

new technologies allows us to now "get in, turn the key and start"
it is not detrimental to the engine

if you are concerned in anyway - best advice would be to start it, warm it up for a couple of minutes (1-2 or 2-3 mins) before moving off
it wont hurt it, and so what if you have to start 2 mins earlier to go out...........?

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Sounds like good advice to me.

The only issue I've found so far is the eyebrow lift when I take it in for a service....low kms compared with the norm.....and the need to keep an eye on the battery charge. Too much drain from constant electronics but that's easily overcome.

@Jared01 I hope you get it sorted out easily. I reckon confidence in the vehicle is paramount when towing....and @warren cook sounds like a great contact'
Hey @Dobbie

You are not creating any problems at all, a mechanic will maybe tell you the disadvantages of not driving much but with everything
I like to put it on a scale of 1-10 and then that puts things into perspective. Its human nature to make things sound worse than they really are.

You are in fact making your vehicle more attractive when you come to sell it, EVERYONE wants a low K'm diesel when they are buying.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
NO
well, not really

old style diesels it was not recommended to do short startups continuously as the engine has not "warmed up" to optimum temperature

but you also had to "glow" them to get them to start - some older ones even had petrol engines to start and warm up the diesel (tractors and the like)

new technologies allows us to now "get in, turn the key and start"
it is not detrimental to the engine

if you are concerned in anyway - best advice would be to start it, warm it up for a couple of minutes (1-2 or 2-3 mins) before moving off
it wont hurt it, and so what if you have to start 2 mins earlier to go out...........?

Spot on @bigcol you hit the nail on the head.

Technology has come along way but peoples perception is still in the past.

The torque in some diesel motors I have driven is immense and outperforms quite a few petrol variants.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks guys. I was beginning to doubt myself but that fits neatly with what I thought and been told. Reassuring.....and yes, my cars tend to always be low mileage when I sell but this one is a keeper.

And......I want to know if @Jared01 has spent his money yet.

It's nice to see a lovely detailed vehicle....wish mine was as clean!

:car::beaten:

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
a
I think @Jared01 may be swanning around the "burbs in his new car........

I did not like this bit though...............

bloody heck - bull in china shop charging there of.................

And the worst part is they always find something wrong to tell the customer, even if its just "precautionary" to justify the charge.

Customer then panics and doesn't buy the car anyway. :mad2:

Reactions: Dobbie and bigcol

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
thought as much

maybe a good idea @warren cook - starting up a company with a couple of Mechanic's (real ones - over 50 years old) to do vehicle inspections

I can see the reports:

" they don't make them like they used too"
"she aint bad mate, got a bit left in her I reckon"
"it's lighting up like a Christmas tree, but give it a squirt down the road and it should be good"

This is tongue in cheek guys before I offend said experienced machanics