Just Browsing Advice on new 18, 20 or 21 foot model

PeterE

Jul 9, 2014
Melbourne
Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum.

We currently have a 2013 Swan outback, and after using it extensively over the last year have already decided that an upgrade is on the way.

The main reasons for the upgrade are that we would like an internal shower and toilet and a larger caravan, and reduced setup time. The Expanda seems like a great choice, and having read other posts, it seems like the setup time is significantly reduced. We probably do about 70 percent free camping and 30 percent caravan parks. There are four of us using the van, myself, my wife and two young boys. Towing capacity isn't a problem as we have a current model Discovery 4.

I am looking at either the 18, 20 or 21 foot caravans as opposed to pop tops as I personally prefer the interior look of the caravans, and they are slightly larger.

Obviously having a small camper at the moment, towing and manoeuvring isn't really an issue. I was just wanting to get the opinion of some of the other people here regarding caravans of this size. Do people have problems finding large enough spaces in caravan parks? Also, do people have issues with a caravan as opposed to a pop top on free camping sites with access, low branches etc? Also, are they an issue on narrow winding roads?

I absolutely love the look of these larger Expandas and I know that it would suit our needs perfectly, but would like some practical guidance before I committed to something.

I am leaning towards the 20 or 21 foot versions primarily because of the larger bathrooms and slide out section.
I would appreciate any advice from those of you that has one of these caravans.

Thanks,

Peter

Reactions: Patons

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Welcome @PeterE, hopefully someone will be able to offer some advice. Going to watch this thread as am interested as well. Toying up the idea of upgrading eventually as well. We have a 14" now, and find it great and no problems, but am like you in would like the internal shower etc.

BJ.

PeterE

Jul 9, 2014
Melbourne
Good to hear that someone is also thinking along the same lines as me. I find the camper fantastic from a manoeuvrability point of view, but by the time you’ve wound it up, set up the beds, pegged it out so it doesn’t sway in the wind, and set up the external toilet and shower, it’s a much bigger ordeal than I would have liked. Especially when you are wanting to move every couple of days. The internal storage space is also quite limiting.

I’m just wanting to make sure that I’m not limiting the places I can go too much with a larger caravan.

Peter

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Hi Peter,
We have had a full caravan and loved it in caravan parks. We are going back to the 1756 2 pop top as we found poptops easier to get into places when free camping. Not as long, and lower roof helps. As we have kids free camping is the best as some parks cost us a fortune. If you mostly do parks and are on the road a bit a full hieght van will probably be more comfortable. Good luck in deciding.

Moore Family

Jun 18, 2014
SE Queensland
Hi @PeterE
We went through the same decision process only a few weeks ago.
Myself, wife and two young boys all wanted our own sleeping arrangements plus my wife wanted more storage.
I wanted a quick set up but was concerned about towing something so big and high!

We brought the 20.63-1 outback with slide out lounge area and last week towed it 200k to the Sunshine Coast.
The overall length inc tow bar etc is 8.1m and almost every site can accommodate this size easily. The Alko-ESC made towing a dream and easy.
image.jpg

This was a small site which we fitted perfectly
I know I'm bias but this was the best purchase we have ever made. The whole family loves it. Free camping has never been so easy.
I hope I didn't ramble to much and wish you all the best with your decisions

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Hi peterE, and welcome.
i have a 16.49-1 with two adults , one child and suits us for our needs.
if i was to purchase again i would go outback model, and would include ESC, a must on the bigger vans i reckon, then again i always work on the side of safety. option it up as much as you can for your needs, as its dearer to add later.

melboure , got to love this weather ? not.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I guess it's all a matter of opinion. We had a 17 and got into some very tight spots. We decided we would eventually upgrade to a full ensuite and fixed internal beds and the rest is history.
I reckon we will get into all the same sites with the 22ft van but time will tell. There is always a compromise with every set up. Whatever you decide you are gonna love the quick set up!

Reactions: Moore Family

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
I was wondering about the slide out lounge in caravan parks.. Most parks are generally already a tight squeeze how does it go with the slide out side ? Wouldn't leave much room between vans..?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Welcome @PeterE ,

We went through a similar process before ordering our van back in January.

We had hired a pop top van previously, and had camped with friends in their swan outback.

We looked at various vans, and came up with the 21.64-1 outback expanda.

Whilst we generally only have 2 of use travelling, we really liked the space, the larger bathroom and the slide out section.

We also have older children who still like to do some travelling with us, and looking forward may need to cater for grand kids in the future.

There will be some places that we won't be able to get too for free camping, mainly due to the height, but on the couple of trips we have done since picking up the van in May, I have found its manoeuvrability to be fine, albeit I have had a lot of experience with horse floats prior to the expanda.

If you like the space and flexibility of catering for up to 8 sleeping if necessary, the 21 is a great choice.

Reactions: Moore Family

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Hi we have a 20/63-1 and love it we have had both pop top and full vans would never go back to pop top full van so easy Never had a Problem with sites and the thing I love is that separate shower and toilet and quick set up time more time to get out and play with the kids . I tow ours with a awd diesel territory and no probs . With need any more help allways happy to help

Moore Family

Jun 18, 2014
SE Queensland
Hi @Patons
When we book we tell them what type of expanda we have. We are VERY new to expandas but have now booked 8 different parks and all have been very accommodating.
Even a small site got us in :)
image.jpg

Reactions: Ren77

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
Thanks guys doesn't look/ sound quite as bad as I was imagining haha.. Have been trying to get hubby to agree on 17.56-2 instead of the 20.63 as I thought it would be much easier to get sites for etc

PeterE

Jul 9, 2014
Melbourne
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. @Moore Family, that is one good looking van in the picture. Have you has any height problems free camping? Or more specifically do you have to be careful which campgrounds you pick due to height and size? Thanks for the tip regarding the Alko-ESC system.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Last edited:
Reactions: relgate