Adelaide to Darwin to Adelaide in 1926

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
there's a book I'm awaiting to get: "the Worlds Longest Taxi Fare".
A spinster in 1930 asks the taxi driver if he's interested in a long fare. Turns out she wants him to take her and her two friends up to darwin and back from Lorne Vic.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
A country town I worked in some decades ago had a person who shared a win in a large lottery. Proceeded to blow it on cars and booze. Lost his licence and had wanted to go on an interstate trip. Paid someone to drive his car with him and friend(s) in it. This happened a bit before I got to the town and ordinarily that wouldn't be any concern to me other than his car was similar to mine and also I hadn't actually met him. One Monday morning while commuting from Adelaide to this town some distance away for the usual weeks work I was chased by the Highway Patrol who eventually caught me. I didn't know they were chasing me as 6 cyl Valiants take a long time to get going and catch anybody. During the course of their questioning, accusations and finding out where I was headed they asked whether I knew a particular person in that town. It dawned on me that they thought they were chasing him. Bugger it. Sorry Officer, I only work there between Monday to Friday lunchtime's and don't socialize much.

Reactions: dagree and blacky