a sign of the times

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Topped up yesterday 200.2c/lt , today the local went up 205.0c/lt, he's still cheaper than most in Gympie and Maryborough, think Big Mal will be in a long maintenance period... Rainbow Beach diesel 218.9c/lt and climbing over $3 on Fraser.

• Wow
Reactions: DRW

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I filled the Jeep yesterday $160 a bloke next to me was filling a 200 series I think he had his mortgage documents with him, my brother used to say if you can afford a 200 series you can afford the fuel, I must ring him lol

• Haha
Reactions: Drover

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Sad But true! What polish do you use?
I had to wash the van because of all the wet weather she started to grow mould on the awning and the pop top skirt,just used normal truck wash on the metal and vinyl ,the fibre glass end cones I used meguiars marine and Rv polish,next time I may have to do a light cut and polish as it was showing some weather damage, from some of the other posts its lucky I don't have jeep or land cruiser as I may have had to wait before I could afford to put her back in the shed

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Reactions: 1DayIll

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I used Septone Fibreglass restorer and Wax on my glass van, worked wonders and didn't need to cut.. and didn't need to spend heaps.

PS: I'll have you know my Jeep returns a very nice 9lt/100km without Big Mal on the back, far more economical than my old 2WD Hi Lux Ute...... now it can be a thirsty bugga.

Last edited:
Reactions: poor but proud

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Holy crappo, just looked at Petrol Spy, topped up the other day at 2.02 it jumped the next day to 2.07 and now its at 2.17, not just here in Tin can but all over the place even more in some places, Rainbow Beach is 2.31, absolute BS ..................... and here I was thinking of going for a little run... :becky: :becky::crazy:

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Yep filled up at Curra yesterday on my way to a funeral on the sunny coast just under half full $152 to top up, I’ve canceled my Mt Isa trip till next year, actually I’ve canceled the rest of this year )-:
Sad,you are not the only one to cancel trips this year. Trying to save up for the big trip in 2023,the way it’s going there will be no fuel no lpg ,very little food. No spare parts And just saw on the idiot box there is a shortage of snot tissues. And we are running out of electricity, thank you, the people who make vodka!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Toms hitting $10, well expected with the rain we have had I suppose along with lettuce, some scungy little ones here were going for about $8, they looked like the type I once cut out of the paddock for the chooks.......................................... Usually drive to Nambour to a Hobby shop to get some stuff, this time I ordered it from the supplier in Brissie as it was cheaper for the 7kg package than fuel to Nambour..............
I wonder if prices will drop by Sept ?? My Canberra/Temora/Murray River trip maybe canned again.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
I would not hold your breath hoping for the prices to go down, once the multi nationals find a reason to get the price up they never find the need to take it down again,and remember the the feds are about to reapply the fuel excise duty, having worked the land I know how ,much the farmer is getting for his lettuce or cabbage and thats why they are being left in the ground , happy days ahead

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would not hold your breath hoping for the prices to go down, once the multi nationals find a reason to get the price up they never find the need to take it down again,and remember the the feds are about to reapply the fuel excise duty, having worked the land I know how ,much the farmer is getting for his lettuce or cabbage and thats why they are being left in the ground , happy days ahead

I used to do farm pick ups in the Lockyer and Darling Downs, vege growers been getting shafted for years by the big supermarkets and the market agents, ..... when I see lettuce is going for a dollar I know blokes are getting screwed, thats $12 a box, so the farmer would be growing at a loss of a good few dollars a box as he would be lucky to be getting 15c a lettuce. He pays for the carton, freight, wrap, picking, sorting, growing and the supermarkets will even add a charge of 1 or 2 cents for advertising.............. Mr brother in law wouldn't let me go to Rocklea markets with him when he had an orchard as I read an agents horoscope for him, thieving bustard he was... So nothing has changed in decades, they just get sneakier...................

If it drops to under $2 again I can handle that but of it stays over $2 I will probably get rid of Big Mal, a run to Canberra towing will suck nearly a fortnight pension.................. too old to go back to the future in a tent.................

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
I used to do farm pick ups in the Lockyer and Darling Downs, vege growers been getting shafted for years by the big supermarkets and the market agents, ..... when I see lettuce is going for a dollar I know blokes are getting screwed, thats $12 a box, so the farmer would be growing at a loss of a good few dollars a box as he would be lucky to be getting 15c a lettuce. He pays for the carton, freight, wrap, picking, sorting, growing and the supermarkets will even add a charge of 1 or 2 cents for advertising.............. Mr brother in law wouldn't let me go to Rocklea markets with him when he had an orchard as I read an agents horoscope for him, thieving bustard he was... So nothing has changed in decades, they just get sneakier...................

If it drops to under $2 again I can handle that but of it stays over $2 I will probably get rid of Big Mal, a run to Canberra towing will suck nearly a fortnight pension.................. too old to go back to the future in a tent.................
Maybe the trips away just need to be a tad closer to home for a while? I don't think the price of fuel is going to drop in a hurry. Be a tragedy to get rid of the tiny house altogether.

I generally don't like to travel much more than a full tank of fuel away for a break anyway...which for me is up to maybe 600km from home. I much prefer to spend my time relaxing rather than driving...

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Maybe the trips away just need to be a tad closer to home for a while? I don't think the price of fuel is going to drop in a hurry. Be a tragedy to get rid of the tiny house altogether.

I generally don't like to travel much more than a full tank of fuel away for a break anyway...which for me is up to maybe 600km from home. I much prefer to spend my time relaxing rather than driving...
Totally agree it’s an age thing , travel less stay longer, when you get really old , you get up in the morning wander around have a poppy nap in the van then get up and walk back to the big house to see what’s going on , the joys of van life

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD

Well our breaks away are more wanderings, we start close to home and end up a few thousand kms away a month or so later then wander back home, rarely drive more than 300 kms a day and stay at places for 4 - 7 days, since when I was working a nice days drive would be 1100 kms upon retirement 300km is nice... we can take 3 weeks to get the 1400 km to Canberra sometimes.......................... a half tank now costs what a full tank used to, might have to take up hydroponics.

Totally agree it’s an age thing , travel less stay longer, when you get really old , you get up in the morning wander around have a poppy nap in the van then get up and walk back to the big house to see what’s going on , the joys of van life
Classic ................................ We have friends that drag their van to Innskip Point for a few weeks every so often, they love it, economical and reckon they save a heap of fuel ..... They certainly would as they live in Tn Can Bay about 30 kms away................

Friend in Maryborough left it late to fill his ute up, 2 tanks he nearly had to ring 000 ....

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Well our breaks away are more wanderings, we start close to home and end up a few thousand kms away a month or so later then wander back home, rarely drive more than 300 kms a day and stay at places for 4 - 7 days, since when I was working a nice days drive would be 1100 kms upon retirement 300km is nice... we can take 3 weeks to get the 1400 km to Canberra sometimes.......................... a half tank now costs what a full tank used to, might have to take up hydroponics.

Classic ................................ We have friends that drag their van to Innskip Point for a few weeks every so often, they love it, economical and reckon they save a heap of fuel ..... They certainly would as they live in Tn Can Bay about 30 kms away................

Friend in Maryborough left it late to fill his ute up, 2 tanks he nearly had to ring 000 ....

I definitely hear you Drover...the ridiculous cost of fuel right now is certainly going to trash many people's retirement plans...the "big lap" may even lose appeal when the real cost is considered.

Taking in to consideration that we are paying now around 50% more per litre for fuel than what we were paying a year ago...and how much further will it go up? The upside is we aren't paying over $3 a litre as our English friends are right now!

So much stuff we took for granted has been and is being trashed now, imo thanks to a modified virus being let loose on the world, and now the totally unnecessary "energy" crises we face thank to a handful of loons deciding that Coal and Gas exploration is a bad thing and should be banned. In the meantime making the Chinese wealthier by buying their solar panels and wind generators is their plan B...go figure.

I guess the reality is that fuel cost and budgeting has to be more front and centre than ever...how many kms are we going to travel...and at what speed will we travel. I'll be slowing down for sure, and looking for new ways to squeeze that extra K out of every litre of fuel...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thankfully QLD still owns its coal generators and is keeping the lights on in NSW and Victoria........ Having come from a time when fuel was 15c/gallon (3.4c/lt) I know in time the higher price will become the norm and everyone will just revise their ways.... Armoured doors on fill points, armour plate around fuel tanks and jerry can racks...... lawn mowers locked in vaults etc.

Reactions: Hitting the road

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Off to NZ in a weeks time to,give the 2012 WK Grand Cherokee diesel a run,at last.! Been driven every two months so fingers crossed nothing goes pear shaped.$2.90 diesel but at least distances traveled not huge! And yes Drover when govts sell critical infrastructure ,assets etc to private companies this what can happen.California sold its complete power network including dams about 20 years ago ,guess what massive price hikes ,C Govt couldnt afford to buy power ,blackouts etc end result.and in the end had to buy back the infrastructure !