7 Point Trailer Plug to 12 Point - How much ?

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
The Kluger is going in for a service tomorrow and Melbourne City Toyota are quoting $245. Does this sound reasonable, we were hoping for cheaper. The plug is $45 with $200 labour.They say we need a new wire from the front to the back. Jayco say we need this for the bigger fridge, does anyone have anymore info ?

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
They will need to run a new wire to run the larger fridge, if you are running this from the main battery ask them if it is switched through a relay. If it is not then you need to be careful not to flatten your main battery when the ignition is off, these fridges will suck it dry in no time. Ask an auto elec for a price on the job, you might save a few bucks and they would probably give you more options.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
They will need to run a new wire to run the larger fridge, if you are running this from the main battery ask them if it is switched through a relay. If it is not then you need to be careful not to flatten your main battery when the ignition is off, these fridges will suck it dry in no time. Ask an auto elec for a price on the job, you might save a few bucks and they would probably give you more options.

I have a Redarc battery isolator on my Patrol, which I installed myself, they will allow the battery/fridge to run while driving ,and will isoalte the van's fridge and batterey while the engine is not runnning, so you will always have a fully charged battery to start the car.

Istallation was very easy.

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Thank you for the info, we were quoted an extra $45 for the relay. I cancelled the job with Toyota and will phone around a few auto elecs and try and get cheaper.

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Hey Klugerclan,
We actually requested for Jayco to fit our new van with a 7-pin plug (as our Kluger came with a 7pin connector from original.
We don't plan on running the fridge whilst driving but Jayco installed an anderson plug for the fridge (along with the 7pin connector) in case we ever changed out mind - we can just get an anderson plug fitted to the Kluger.

When we went away we just ran the fridge at home for 24hrs the day before and the fridge should stay cold for 6-8hrs, so wasn't an issue for us....but for those that are on the move all day (say for an "around Australia" trip, then I can see how running the fridge whilst driving would be a plus.

I guess it comes down to how you plan on using the van.

I'd get a 2nd price from an auto elec (as already suggested) and running it through a relay so you don't flatten the battery is a wise suggestion. We're talking like 30mins of running the fridge with the car off to flatten it - which could happen if you pull up at shops for lunch (as an example).

Dave

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
I have a Redarc battery isolator on my Patrol, which I installed myself, they will allow the battery/fridge to run while driving ,and will isoalte the van's fridge and batterey while the engine is not runnning, so you will always have a fully charged battery to start the car.

Istallation was very easy.

I have the same set up with an ARB isolator but I've found the AUX battery still sucked dry quite quickly when stopped, I can still start the car on the main battery but it leaves me with a flat AUX battery and the other accessories on that battery have no volts, I will be installing a relay soon as the fridge still maintains a good temp even when isolated for a while.

Klugerclan, I'm guessing the Kluger would only be running one battery, correct me if I'm wrong. In which case, you would need to isolate the fridge if stopping for more than a short time. I've been unplugging the Anderson plug when stopped but have forgotten a few times and run the AUX battery down and the kids have lost their DVD for a while, not happy campers!

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Thank you all for your thoughts. Drewy, yes Kluger only one one battery so fitting a relay is a must. In time we want to do some extended trips to multiple destinations, think easiest to get the 12 pin done on the car. Will do some phoning around in the coming days. Flying back to Blighty tomorrow for the weekend as my best mate turns 40 and has paid to get me back. Top man. I will be introducing my old mates to you guys and the wonderful world we are having / about to have in our Expandas. Having grown up in Blighty and spent much time camping in UK, you don't know how lucky we all are to have so many beautiful places very close by. In UK, where there is a great spot, it will be totally packed - Where's the Serenity !!