4 bike rack and changes to our 17.56/2

10petenat

Jun 5, 2011
Yeppoon, Central Queensland
CARAVAN SWIM CARNIVAL 029.jpgCARAVAN SWIM CARNIVAL 030.jpgCARAVAN SWIM CARNIVAL 032.jpg
Three weeks to go for us before our big trip around Australia. Wanted to share our last minute adaptions.
(4 bike rack, jerry can holders, storage pipe for hoses etc, shelving in our cupboard)
Think we are now all sorted ready to go.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
How did you mount the bikes on the front. Going through this ATM. SWMBO bought a kiddy seat for the young fellow so now we have to take our bikes away as Christmas down at Batemans bay

10petenat

Jun 5, 2011
First we had to create a fake tow ball on the extended A Frame. Then we just put a Thule 4 bike rack onto the fake tow ball.
Only problem is we have to take the first two bikes off to rotate the bike rack so that we can open the bed end up. We decided to do it this way so that the weight wasnt on the back of the van. We only have two kids so if we stop for a quick stopover we are going to put the kids in the bunks and sleep up the toilet end.

Reactions: stuartcarr2002

10petenat

Jun 5, 2011
The only thing with turning is we have to take the first two bikes off so that the wheels dont hit the van. The bike rack has a bolt that screws into where it goes onto the tow ball. you just loosen this, turn and then rescrew it on once the rack is turned around.

Gonewest

Mar 12, 2012
Western Suburbs, Melbourne, VIC
That is a sweet set up 10petenat - and definitely better than mounting the bike rack at the rear of the van where the bumper supports are only rated to 30kg (Jayco manufacturing rep infoms me).
I have a 16.49.1 and I did this mod: bracket to move gas bottles closer to van, and support bracket made to mount the 4-bike rack holder as close to the van body as possible. This keeps the bikes away from interference with the towing car in tight turns. The first bike sits just off the gass bottles.
I still have to take all the bikes off remove the rack to get the beds out.
I have looked at other mods on this forum and others and IMHO this is far simpler and safer! (howver i would say that wouldn't i!)
bike rack1.jpgbike rack2.jpgbike rack3.jpg
So have a look and let me know if you have any questions.