17' Series 17.56 Turning Circle?

G'day all,
I have a 2013 RG Colorado and our 17.56OB will turn up at the end of the month.
As I don't have the van yet I don't know how tight of a turn I can do in it.
My question is what is the turning circle like of the van? What I am trying to work out is how tight of a turning circle I can do with it on the back to get it into our rear yard.
I have a lane way behind our house which is probly 5 or 6 meters wide.
We have a 3m wide gate on our rear fence and a barb wire fence on the other side of the lane which is vacant land.
The owner of the vacant land with the barb wire fence has allowed me to install a farm gate. I have 2 x 3.6m farm gates to install.
I plan on driving down the lane and driving into the vacant land through the double farm gate, straighten up and then reversing into our rear yard across the laneway.

How does this sound to everyone? Is it possible? Or should I change one 12ft farm gate for a 14 or 16 ft?

Here are some pics
IMAG8680Medium_zps6e099966.jpg
IMAG8684Medium_zps779b81ed.jpg
IMAG8685Medium_zpscc72526c.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG8680Medium_zps6e099966.jpg
    IMAG8680Medium_zps6e099966.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG8684Medium_zps779b81ed.jpg
    IMAG8684Medium_zps779b81ed.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG8685Medium_zpscc72526c.jpg
    IMAG8685Medium_zpscc72526c.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 161

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
What's the land like in the paddock, if you have trouble driving in because it might be tight you might find it easier to back the van into the paddock and then turn around in there maybe.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
HHHMMMM interesting one! I would go as wide as possible on the farm gates, you'll have to go far left as you can to get the turn in., remembering the rear of the van will swing out as you turn, coming out you'll most likely need to do the opposite, go into the paddock chuck a U-turn and come out

Grano n play

Apr 18, 2013
Perth W.A
Just a thought , instead of putting in the gates , have u thought of making your gate entrance wider, because to be honest that's a fairly wide lane way , with some practice , could probably get it in in one shot, while your at it put electric gates in.........

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Go wide as you can with the paddock gates so you can drive thru at less of an acute angle, then straighten up opposite your house rear gate. I'm happy driving through narrow gates, but only on the straight. Nearly came unstuck once turning through a narrow gate, and once was enough. It was fiendishly difficult to untangle without damaging van and/or tug.
You'll find reversing in a straight line relatively easy with the dual axle van.
You'll need some fencing advice to get the gates fitted properly so they can swing almost 180 degrees to maximise your access and to maintain the wire fence integrity. Farm gate support wheels make life easier in lots of ways. Chain and padlock the gates and give your neighbour a key.

Last edited:
The paddock is fairly solid ground. It's only used for cattle during flood times as its high ground.
The owner even slashed a turn around bay for me on the weekend :clap2:
I should have 500mm spare on my double gates if reversing straight through.
There shouldn't be any problem driving into the paddock and turning around.
I want to make it as easy as possible to get in an out so we can bugger off every other weekend with no hassle.
I might swap on 12ft gate over for a 16ft gate. I will hang the gates of the inside of the posts so I can open them 180 back against the barb wire. I will be putting in posts with stays to make sure the fence is suitable for cattle (it will be better than it is now).
I have no trouble reversing trailers and last weekend I backed an offroad buggy trailer down the lane at 8km/hr.:plane:

Ok just a quick update.
I ended up just putting the 2 12ft gates in. We decided to mount the gates as normal. This way allows me to swing a gate either way. One into the lane and one into the paddock. We now have our van and there is stacks of room to get in and out. I simply drive down the lane, nose in and reverse straight across the lane into the backyard.
When going out I drive into the paddock, do a 3 point turn and drive out and up the lane. Piece of cake.

IMAG8922Medium_zps9a217613.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG8922Medium_zps9a217613.jpg
    IMAG8922Medium_zps9a217613.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 169