Discovery 17.55-5 Outback

jbell6660

Apr 30, 2011
Sydney
All 17.55-5 owners, I have just sold my Expanda and now thinking of the Discovery 17.55-5. One thing I am concerned about is constantly walking into the wheel arch. There does not seem to be much room between the wheel arch & double bed. How have others found it??? Cheers. Jim.

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
I have the -SH model and the wheel arch is under the bed on one side and in the cupboard on the other. We originally were going for a non-shower model and was talked out of it for re-sale.

You get with a shower model - 2 gas bottles, two tanks and hot water system. Makes good sense from a value POV.

Now, I am glad to have it. Nice to have the internal shower when camping as there is no need to go to the park amenities, some are marginal at best.

casiochris

Dec 1, 2011
Newcastle NSW
Hi, we have this model and the where'll arches are not a concern. We love the layout and there is plenty of room and storage. We didn't go the toilet as SWMBO thought I would make it stink! :ambivalence: Do it you will love it.

jbell6660

Apr 30, 2011
Sydney
Hi all. Back again with same issue. Really keen to go with the new Journey 17-55.5 outback but just can't seem to be happy about those damn wheel arches inside the van. Spoke to Jayco and the internal layout is still pretty much the same and there is nothing they can do about them. Check out the photo I took back in 2012. Still can't commit because of that lack of room around the end of the bed!! Cheers. Jim.

EDIT: PS> do not want to go for the shower model.

Attachments

• IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 370

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Single beds? Just a thought. Have a look at my layout. Gives you the floor space which makes it more useable. We were used to the 'clear run' from front to back when we owned the Expanda.

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
Just back from 3 weeks in Tassie, first ten days were unpowered sites, and van was awesome, with the toilet used for the early morning pee, so much easier than stumbling over to amenities at 3.00am. shower used a couple of times when queue at amenities. in our layout wheel arches no problems.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Probably should't say this here BUT! if you like the layout but not happy with the wheel arch problems take layout to custom van builder for a quote, will have to make a few modifications as note to breach copywrite, unfortunately not much can be done with wheel arches thats why most vans have lounges/ kitchen cupboards etc in the middle.

Oh yeah, and as mentioned, single beds is the other option, but I wouldn't get away with that:bolt:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
You should hire a 17.55.5 for the weekend and see if it is an issue. Do a Google search for Sydney Caravan Hire and a number of ones will come up.
I know you don't want an internal shower, but it is so good. So glad I got it. Just don't use the toilet of your worried about the smell. It's great having a wet area to chuck swimmers and towels.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
We had a Windsor Genesis and had the same problem with the wheel arches. I was forever kicking them as I tried to maneuver around the bed in the morning. But then I don't like the single bed option either, maybe that is why I like our expanda so much.

BTW - if you are not short, check out the double bed for length - I'm less than 6' and had to have a 6" piece of foam which we used to extend the mattress so my feet weren't hanging over the end. Other than the names there is no set standard for mattress sizes!