16ft Expanda wheel spats

MRP

Oct 22, 2021
Perth WA
on a recent trip up north blew a tyre wrecked the rim and wheel spat any advice on where to get a replacement tried the usual jayco etc any help appreciated

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
We broke one a few years ago, and to match ended up having to go through Jayco.
They are however relatively easy to fit, just remember you also need a tube of silicon matching colour.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When one of mine started to crack I was toying with the idea to replace them both with rubber wheel flares, in the mean time I did a repair and repainted them both to match but sold van before I needed to go further.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I'd be interested in finding out how you go with the spat. I was also up nth recently when I was pushed off the tar by a 3 trailer road train,the result was one ally wheel destroyed one tyre shredded a broken spring leaf and a spat damaged and 11 days in Clermont Qld waiting for springs. Also a 16ft jayco.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I always head into the table drain with a triple coming at me, the rear trailer can easily walk 6 or 8 foot or more while the rest stays in line...... Couplemate is good for fast delivery of springs and stuff if not available locally.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Drover,it was coming in a nice straight line and at the last minute the rear trailer swung it happened fast. The spring was ordered from Alko at the time via the garage that bought the van in and that was through a supplier in Rockhampton and on top of that the freight was all screwed up because of Covid. However 11 days in Clermont was OK a great little town well supplied with public Dump point and potable water in various taps through the town with easy access. The local businesses were very obliging so all in all not a bad place to break down.
Big shout out to Clermont Tyre Power for the repair and putting our caravan up on their warehouse concrete apron in the middle of town with power and water while we waited and Purdies Tyres who found me a new wheel for the spare.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I always head into the table drain with a triple coming at me, the rear trailer can easily walk 6 or 8 foot or more while the rest stays in line...... Couplemate is good for fast delivery of springs and stuff if not available locally.
Excellent advice @Drover. I give the triples ALL the room on the road including my side. If I see one coming, I too get right off the road and also stop if necessary while they go by. They are too big to argue with and best to get right out of their way!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Drover,it was coming in a nice straight line and at the last minute the rear trailer swung it happened fast. The spring was ordered from Alko at the time via the garage that bought the van in and that was through a supplier in Rockhampton and on top of that the freight was all screwed up because of Covid. However 11 days in Clermont was OK a great little town well supplied with public Dump point and potable water in various taps through the town with easy access. The local businesses were very obliging so all in all not a bad place to break down.
Big shout out to Clermont Tyre Power for the repair and putting our caravan up on their warehouse concrete apron in the middle of town with power and water while we waited and Purdies Tyres who found me a new wheel for the spare.

Mate, Clermont is a great little town, found it friendly and some nice places to visit and I'm glad you got it all sorted .................... and as @Boots in Action said even pulling up in the drain is handy............... It doesn't take much for the back trailer to walk and you know bugger all about it up front....................................... Once upon a time (here comes the old time story) when the Morven to Charleville Road was barely wide enough to keep all wheels on the tar I met a triple, I rolled all wheels into the drain, told him to stay on the black and the mongrel back trailer chased me even further across the table drain, I started off about 3 ft off the road and it finally got me as I was heading up the other side of the drain, a good 8 ft it ran, took off the mirror, and missed me " by that much", lol, we were both down to about 60 kph, mongrel road and my boss was peed as I was in a newish Coach not one of the old bangers with the cheap mirrors... Now if the road hasn't fog lines I roll into the drain with a slow roll or stop....... if the road is narrow I give a yell, " Stay on the Black fella, I'm moving " ...............

"B" doubles or triples won't move as much as Road Trains due to the way they are connected but always give plenty of room........ besides I give single stock crates heaps of room as well.

Have some great yarns about exploding mirrors on bridges not quite wide enough as well.

Reactions: Boots in Action