Electrical 12 Pin Wiring - Pin 2

Kirstyandyjb

May 31, 2021
Perth
Hi all,

I've recently got a new car and it has a 7 pin connector on it which I have swapped over for a 12 pin.....

My question is for pin 2, in the manual on page 5 (step 4) mentions a voltage-sensing battery isolator relay to be placed before the battery

My question is where can I source one of these? Part numbers etc.

Thanks
1679552061033.png

Jayco-Tow-Vehicle-Requirements-Issue-104-sm-1634175775

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Or just get a fridge switch and wire it in at the back of fridge, comes with instructions and is simple to connect, saves forking out for a sparky and your fridge won't flatten your tug battery, works on all 3 way fridges, manual and auto .........................

The D+ needs to be connected to an ignition ON source on tug, often its just connected to a 12v source from tug which may or not be only live with ignition ON, to check plug into the tug turn fridge ON with tug ignition OFF see if fridge finds the 12v, if the D+ is connected correctly it won't find 12v but check with ignition ON just to make sure the connection does work.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Didn't think anyone bothered except for fridge supply, I would be checking to confirm that Pin 2 is indeed wired to supply 12v to whatever Power distribution system is fitted in your van and if indeed it does anything, hate to spend all those $$$ on something not needed ....................... Part number depends on brand as @mikerezny said look at an auto or marine shop they can range in prices, its not some special Jayco thing ...

Also depends on how the new tug is wired as well don't assume its wired the same as your old rig.....check everything.....

Ideally you run a dedicated power supply to rear of tug where it goes thru a VSR then splits to supply power to fridge and the 12v feed to van, Pin2 with Pin 9 for fridge or using an Anderson for fridge (preferred) then when engine shut down the VSR will cut power to the lot also saves running extra cabling and using the actual vehicle wring is not a great idea its never heavy enough ........ the best thing with a fridge switch on a van is change tugs, no rewiring needed......

Reactions: Boots in Action

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Would this be suitable for the 30A fuse and relay for Pin 2
It depends. That relay will need to be wired so it is controlled by the ignition so it only operates when the engine is running. Then it is fine for switching pin 2

The text you posted in the first post refers to a voltage sensitive relay. Something like this https://www.bcf.com.au/p/xtm-12v-dc-voltage-sensitive-relay/605591.html but there are many manufacturers equally suitable. This relay will automatically switch pin 2 (and a future fridge on pin 9)

Both relay options need some wiring knowledge, fusing and possible cable runs to work. It is very unlikely your car is wired for this (unless the previous owner had a jayco) and you can simply plug in a relay. For example, pin 2 as wired on a standard car is for reversing lights, not 12v as required by jayco. An auto electrician is needed if you don't have this knowledge.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Would this be suitable for the 30A fuse and relay for Pin 2?

I must have been replying to your post when you edited it as I missed that bit, As @jazzeddie1234 said I would only use it for Pin 2 if its just supplying 12v to van, something that needs checking ..... I wouldn't fit it to the run for the frdige..................... Depending on the vehicle, the wirinig for Pin 2 and 9 may need to wired a certain way to get around the smart alternator BS, if the vehicle has a manufacturers tow harness fitted pin 2 would be wired to the reverse so a new run would be required........

Kirstyandyjb

May 31, 2021
Perth
It depends. That relay will need to be wired so it is controlled by the ignition so it only operates when the engine is running. Then it is fine for switching pin 2

The text you posted in the first post refers to a voltage sensitive relay. Something like this https://www.bcf.com.au/p/xtm-12v-dc-voltage-sensitive-relay/605591.html but there are many manufacturers equally suitable. This relay will automatically switch pin 2 (and a future fridge on pin 9)

Both relay options need some wiring knowledge, fusing and possible cable runs to work. It is very unlikely your car is wired for this (unless the previous owner had a jayco) and you can simply plug in a relay. For example, pin 2 as wired on a standard car is for reversing lights, not 12v as required by jayco. An auto electrician is needed if you don't have this knowledge.
Thanks @ jazzeddie1234 - That's what I thought was after, just needed confirmation as some sites where pushing towards installing relay to the ignition. I have an LV cabling background so am happy to do the work myself.

Thanks @ Drover - I had already disconnected the original Pin 2 wiring and re-ran in a larger cable back to the battery when i swapped the factory fitted 7pin over for the Jayco 12pin config. I've also ran the fridge cabling ready to finish this weekend before our Easter getaway......

Thanks everyone