100 series or 76 series pros and cons

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Great to hear trying to tell the missis about the 100 series but all she can hear is $30000+ for a 10-13 year old car
You pay for what you get these days and every day look on computer if they didnt get what people ask for no one would bye them but heaps sell for very good money good ones are hard to find good luck hard decision belive me i know
Oh what van are you towing

Reactions: dagree

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
You pay for what you get these days and every day look on computer if they didnt get what people ask for no one would bye them but heaps sell for very good money good ones are hard to find good luck hard decision belive me i know
Oh what van are you towing
I know there are so many 100 series out there but to try and find the right one is always hard I was surprised to see a 100 series for 50K just goes to show how good they are.
We have a new 18-58.2 outback
Thanks bluey.

Reactions: Bluey

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
my $0.05 worth

100 series
I am biased, I have a V8 Kakadu one and I love it
I have knocked back offers of $45K for it as I dont think I would ever sell it
one of the most comfortable rides around, and as stated, would pull the Titanic into port without raising a sweat

76 series
sexy looking (in a 4wd kind of way boys.............)
V8 diesel, plenty of power - but at a cost
not as comfortable as the Hilux- no air bags - drinks like a wineo - sounds good though with the right exhaust
needs diff locks front & rear to make it a weapon (or equivalent to a 100 series)
finding a 2nd hand one NOT thrashed by mining companies and tosser P platers is not easy to do

one thought - hire a 76 for a week, drive it everywhere, get the feel of it, make the Missus drive it to and from the shops, dropping kids off at school ect

then go to a car yard that has a couple of 100 series - preferably one like what you want (but not what you want - to stop the buying at the spot) take it for a test drive for as long as you car, get the Missus to drive it as well

she will see the Value in a 12 year old car then

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I always wanted a Defender (like a 76 nice beast) mates who had them laugh when I say 90% my driving would be inner city and shopping centres etc.
The exact opposite of what a Defender likes. My nephew has an old one said he just stopped in time before he made it a convertible at a local underground shopping centre. Lifted and offroad tyres I think its close to 2.4 high. He struggles to take it through maccas drive thrus.

Do I still want one :) yes love a SWB

Lach

Jul 31, 2016
Sydney
Great to hear trying to tell the missis about the 100 series but all she can hear is $30000+ for a 10-13 year old car

Hi mate. I have a 2004 petrol cruiser and I love it. Extremely comfortable and the petrol is far cheaper than diesel and easier/cheaper to maintain. Diesel will obviously be more efficient towing so if you are planning on super remote travel eg canning stock route etc, the diesel is a no brainer otherwise petrol is cheaper, smoother and easier to maintain.

Re the 76 vs the cruiser, unless you plan on spending more time looking at it than driving it, I'd go the comfy car every time....

Wes

Nov 14, 2014
Okay then, my 2c:

I notice bellbirdweb says he gets 23L/100 in the HDFTE 100 series towing full height van.

I get 25L/100 towing 18.57-6 in my PETROL 200 series @100km/hr.

200 series petrol are newer, cheaper, more comfortable, more capable off road and have more safety and luxury features than TD 100 series. crawl control and KDSS standard on all petrols. Yes, they cost more in fuel, but much less for servicing. ULP is 10-15% cheaper in cities too.

You get the V8 note and arguably one of the most reliable vehicles on the road.

If you do moderate annual kilometres (I do about 10,000 plus trips), you could crunch your numbers and I'll reckon you'll come out in front. If you do lots of kms or lots of towing, you wont.

We have the 76 wagons at work and I hate them. Noisy, slow, uncomfortable, horrid (manual only) gearbox and you'd be safer and more comfortable on a moped. I seriously believe that if they were a 6cyl, Toyota would have sold 0 of these.

Now that's just my opinion and everyones different, but there you go