14' Series What generator to run aircond

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Only place I can think of that I would need the Genny running for AC would be Nindigully but then if it was that hot I'd be in the Nindigully Pub anyway....................................lol,lol.

There's a few showgrounds that if you ran your HWS and your AC you would be tripping the breakers, actually in winter and there's a few people parked up, the heaters can cause them to trip, it can be a cold time then........................until you hear the Genny's come to life.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I went to the caravan show a couple of years back.... or maybe it was last year... dunno! anyway, to buy a Honda 3 and after I picked myself up off the ground when I saw how much they were I came home with a Yamaha 2400, its been good as gold runs the Aircon without a hitch, only down side is there is no off for the eco-throttle like on the Honda so I have had it stall on me when using a couple of my more power hungry power tools for work

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 I would probably know it if I see it
The EX500 next to the 2kW Kipor for comparison ... weighs nothing, quiet and almost fits in my pocket

20150218_113615.jpg

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We've got the Ibis and I tested it with the 2kW Kipor on a warmish day, the day we picked the van up ... the soft start wound it up surprisingly slowly and it peaked out at 900w whilst the compressor was cycling, and no spikes when the compressor kicked. I already had the Kipor so I was praying I didn't have to buy a new genset.

The Herron in the previous 16.49.1 pulled more power out of the the Kipor than this Ibis

I hear what you guys are saying about the heat. The aircon compressor isn't proportional and is either on or off, so I only have the ambient temp to worry about knocking the genset around.

Lucky for you guys the Melb forecast this weekend is high 30's .... so my tin roof factory will ramp that that up to 40deg and provide the perfect test laboratory. (and an oasis from work, with a quick shower, my slippers, a little drinky and maybe a afternoon movie followed by a nap)

Watch this space

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We've got the Ibis and I tested it with the 2kW Kipor on a warmish day, the day we picked the van up ... the soft start wound it up surprisingly slowly and it peaked out at 900w whilst the compressor was cycling, and no spikes when the compressor kicked. I already had the Kipor so I was praying I didn't have to buy a new genset.

The Herron in the previous 16.49.1 pulled more power out of the the Kipor than this Ibis

I hear what you guys are saying about the heat. The aircon compressor isn't proportional and is either on or off, so I only have the ambient temp to worry about knocking the genset around.

Lucky for you guys the Melb forecast this weekend is high 30's .... so my tin roof factory will ramp that that up to 40deg and provide the perfect test laboratory. (and an oasis from work, with a quick shower, my slippers, a little drinky and maybe a afternoon movie followed by a nap)

Watch this space

My gene has a power metre, so running the Ibis on cooling with an ambient of 30c, it was measuring 1kw. When the compressor started it briefly went up to 1.2kw.

Haven't checked it on heating as yet, but given the thump when it cuts in, I suspect the startup current will be a lot more

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
The issue with the Honda EU20i is that it is only rated at 1600w continuous, with a peak of 2000w. The Yamaha is rated at 2000w continuous with 2400w peak. That extra 400w peak capacity seems to be the tipping point for starting some of these aircon units.

One thing to try with the Honda's that wont start the A/C is to get as heavy lead as possible, and also as short a lead as possible from the genny to the van.

because its obviously so close between working and not working (given the varying reports from everyone) the voltage drop in the power lead could mean the difference between working and not working.

Its certainly cheaper to upgrade the lead than replace the Honda with a Yamaha if you don't really need too.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
or don't stay somewhere that doesn't have an Air Cond Club or shops.
If your going to go out and spend big bikkies on a genny so you can run the AC, then why not stay at home.......what you would spend on one would pay for a lot of motel rooms.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
That's true Drover, but you can use it to run the A/C, microwave, HWS and charge the batteries. If I spent that amount of money on solar I would only be charging my batteries

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
or don't stay somewhere that doesn't have an Air Cond Club or shops.
If your going to go out and spend big bikkies on a genny so you can run the AC, then why not stay at home.......what you would spend on one would pay for a lot of motel rooms.
..... because I don't have aircon at home and its too bloody hot. Do these Motels you mention have aircon ??? Sounds nice .. why the hell did I buy a caravan. Next thing you'll be telling me there in every town ... and they have Foxtel

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and your own dunny.................

If I spent $1500 on solar I'd expect it to do more than charge the batteries................

Well enough fishing.........it is just nice to have all your gear workable no matter where you and I always like to be prepared for anything, hell I even carry a scoop net in case I catch a fish, haven't used it yet though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
And if this wind/rain gets too much here and we loose power I can hook up one of the gennys to the house use the other to run the van and move into it do the cooking there..............and if we have floods like last time I'll just put a fuel hose into the utes tank to run the genny for the week, save refilling the dam thing.

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Thanks for all the advice.. Anyway I got this ebay generator , picked up same day I bought it was $699..
It's 28kg but has heaps of grunt as I ran the aircon, hotwater system at the same time no problem. Also the nesspresso machine is working well on it..Starts with a remote control , key or pull start & has started 1st time every time so im impressed so far.
image.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GenPower...92?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e82af8298

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Was at the Illawarra camping show on the weekend and interesting sign up at the Honda generator tent. They promise that the Honda gennie will run any and ALL caravan ACs or 100% money back. Only catch was that you must use their custom 4m 20amp cable