14' Series What generator to run aircond

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
gday , we are about to head north into NT & the Kimberleys. I want to buy a generator so we can utilise the A/C when free camping. Does anyone else use a genie to run their Herron 2.2 a/c ? If so what size I'm hoping a 2KV will do it as any bigger gets up near the 30kg mark.. Cheers

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I ran our 2009 16.49.1 Herron from the 2kW Kipor, but i think that may have been a Herron 2.0. I think its draw from memory was around the 1100w mark ... it was well within the limits of the 2kW Kipor

Reactions: Ss--ss

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I too have a Kipor but it's a 2.6 and it runs the aircon no worries but I have mine mounted on the A frame due to the weight issue.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Honda 2kva runs our Heron 2.2 without any problems.

I think actually Honda state that at camping/caravan shows and sometimes have a little display with some cabinetry with an AC unit fitted.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I think actually Honda state that at camping/caravan shows and sometimes have a little display with some cabinetry with an AC unit fitted.

yes I've seen the same demo using a Honda EU20i and a Herron A/C. They do state in that demo that its necessary to ensure you use a heavy duty cable to deal with the voltage drop.

I am using a 5kVa Gentrax (according to the add its 5.5, but its really a 3.5kVa) from ebay. (http://outbaxcamping.com.au/inverte...a-puresine-inverter-generator-silent-326.html) Possibly a bit big for what you are looking for at 30kg, but it has 2 x 15A outlets, remote control electric or pull start and only cost $650 on special.

I also have a little EU7i Honda, which is very quiet, but wont run the A/C or Microwave.

Reactions: Smirke

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
we have a honda 20i (I think i know its a 20 something) it ran the roof top dometic on the panda, have't used it on the sterling with the heron yet

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We bought a Honda 2.0 to run our Heron 2.2 with no luck. If you look at the specs for the Heron (we should have before we bought)

Cooling output: 2.2 KW
Heating output: 1.5 KW
Maximum current (cooling): 4.0 amps
Maximum current (heating): 6.5 amps
Maximum locked rotor current: 19 amps - it's this figure that the Honda is not capable of. ( I worked out this is 4500 watts)

This is the reply from Heron

"Hello Jeff,

The minimum recommended generator capacity for any Aircommand unit is 2.8Kva and the gen set should deliver the smoothest possible sine wave.

There has never been a heron 2.2 designed specifically to run on a Honda 2.

Rotary compressors as used in our air conditioners, are just like motor car engines for example. They are manufactured to a dimensional tolerance, thus some are slightly tighter than others which may account for some people being able to run a Honda 2 successfully.

The risk however is that in demandingly hot weather, any gen set will lose some efficiency and the air conditioner will require a bigger kick start in the same conditions. This leaves the customer at risk of being disappointed when they need the air conditioner most.

Hopefully this explains sufficiently why we recommend nothing less than a 2.8Kva gen set dedicated solely to the air conditioner with nothing else drawing from it, not even a battery charger.

Should you have further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards, Colin Bates.

Service / Warranty Office

Aircommand Australia Pty Ltd

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We bought a Honda 2.0 to run our Heron 2.2 with no luck. If you look at the specs for the Heron (we should have before we bought)

Cooling output: 2.2 KW
Heating output: 1.5 KW
Maximum current (cooling): 4.0 amps
Maximum current (heating): 6.5 amps
Maximum locked rotor current: 19 amps - it's this figure that the Honda is not capable of. ( I worked out this is 4500 watts)

This is the reply from Heron

"Hello Jeff,

The minimum recommended generator capacity for any Aircommand unit is 2.8Kva and the gen set should deliver the smoothest possible sine wave.

There has never been a heron 2.2 designed specifically to run on a Honda 2.

Rotary compressors as used in our air conditioners, are just like motor car engines for example. They are manufactured to a dimensional tolerance, thus some are slightly tighter than others which may account for some people being able to run a Honda 2 successfully.

The risk however is that in demandingly hot weather, any gen set will lose some efficiency and the air conditioner will require a bigger kick start in the same conditions. This leaves the customer at risk of being disappointed when they need the air conditioner most.

Hopefully this explains sufficiently why we recommend nothing less than a 2.8Kva gen set dedicated solely to the air conditioner with nothing else drawing from it, not even a battery charger.

Should you have further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards, Colin Bates.

Service / Warranty Office

Aircommand Australia Pty Ltd

Good info @jeff

That's why I went for the 3.5kVa unit.
It runs the Ibis A/C, microwave and everything else at the same time.

Last edited:

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Thanks for the info! Was tossing up between the kipor , yamaha & honda 2kva units but now not sure..
Maybe one of the cheapo ebay 3.5, 4.4 , 5.o kva generators, the quality isn't as good as the others but they are relatively light & compact..

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Hondas, and to an ever so slightly lessor extent the Yamahas, have always the holy grails of generators. I suspect those that have the "also rans" (like me) did so based on cost.

That said, I have a 2 kW Kipor in the van by choice. We have a farm property with basic facilities i.e. no utilities, and early on we decided just to put a cheap Kipor 2.6kW down there until we got ourselves organised ... or until the Kipor blew up.

That was 5 years ago and that poor Kipor has been flogging away every time we're down there, and it has never skipped a beat. It never gets serviced, runs all day and all night, sits outside in the weather; rain, hail or shine, regularly runs out of fuel, gets overloaded .... basically gets treated like a red headed step child. And it still loves us. The Kipors undying blind devotion to duty won me over.

I also have a little old Honda EX500 2 stroke (@Drover , you've probably never even seen one of these babys) which ushered in the inverter revolution. Has a 0.8ltr tank and runs for about 4 or 5 hours ..... better than a Hybrid Camry, and proof to Mrs Crusty that Ive was a greenie before I even knew it .... baaa ha ha ha ha. Il be back shortly, just gotta throw some old rubber tyres in the incinerator

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That was good info @jeff, I must be one of the lucky ones as mine runs it well and doesn't seem to be working all that hard, mind you have only used it at home when it's been 38+ and working in the van as when I'm away it is usually near a beach which is far better than cooped up in a box.
@Ss-ss weight is a big factor as well, while I don't use my AC very often, make sure the Gennie you get is an Inverter model that way you will safeguard anything you use that has a circuit board, that includes whatever the system is in your van that gives you 12v power other gennies could fry your electronics.
There was a good comparo of gennies in Caravan and Motorhome on Tour Magazine issue 205 which you might be able to read on line, I thought it was pretty good for a change.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have the Honda 2 but would consider a Yamaha 2.4 if ever bought again. I think the extra power is worth it and I have heard the odd story of the Honda running hotter in the tropics.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Crusty181 I would probably know it if I see it, my favourite Genny had a small 2/ engine possibly from something that cut grass, stuck in a frame with a car alternator hanging off it thru a regulator box and a couple of 12v sockets, noisy bloody thing but charged the battery for the fridge and would run a few lights if needed. Dug a hole in the sand lined with cardboard and there it would live. My Honda is just so much easier and I have an ALDI job as well, get another flood here I'll have plenty of power to keep the beer cold this time.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
just remember that as the outside temperature increases so do your ac (gas) pressures. So while a smaller generator may run your ac in the high 30s once you get into the mid 40s thoses higher pressures are making your compressor motor draw more power and the ac will be running constant (not kicking in and out) so combine this with your generator motor making less power due to the same heat and you can see why there are many posts on different forums about Honda 2s cutting out when they needed it the most. I just brought a Yamaha 2.4. I would of liked the smaller Honda but didn't want to risk it.

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Funny you say that @Stone Stomper .. I connected my electricity consumption meter connected to the van input & was showing 3kw while air con was on. I thought that was too much so turned off & still showing nearly 2kw. Thought it was battery charger or microwave , fridge. Then realized hws was on !!

So that's a good tip make sure HWS is on gas when running a gennie..

Last edited: