20' Series Well we have decided to upgrade to a 20.63-1 OB

AndrewJ

Aug 15, 2014
After much deliberating we have decided to sell our 17.56-2 that we purchased earlier this year, and upgrade to a 20.63-1. Sounds a bit crazy I know, but having done a few short trips in the 17 (our first ever van), we have realised that the 20.63 would suit us a lot better!

So if anyone is interested in buying a 2013 17.56-2 that is practically brand new, I have posted an ad in the 'for sale' section - van is located in Townsville North QLD :)

So now we have to wait until October for the new van - exciting times ahead!

AndrewJ

Aug 15, 2014
Sitting here in my 20.63-1 expanda @ Swansea I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Just want to ask 1 question if you don't mind what are you towing it with. Cheers

Reactions: Flossymk1

AndrewJ

Aug 15, 2014
I have a 2008 Nissan patrol with airbag suspension, traveling up the M1 today couldn't get near 100klm an hr without getting the wobbles any idea. Thanks.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
I have a 2008 Nissan patrol with airbag suspension, traveling up the M1 today couldn't get near 100klm an hr without getting the wobbles any idea. Thanks.
Ha mate got the same van tow with a territory awd diesel same here when first got it over come it by more weight up front I got 240 kg on ball tows like a dream moves around a little in windy weather but got to expect that with the size of it I had a day with dealer and could not find any problems with van or car I have fitted air bags to car and wdh happy with set up now

Matt'N'nic

Aug 9, 2014
Narre Warren South
Hi all,

Short time member and first time poster!!! Love this site.... So much info!!!!

We also ordered the 20.63-1 touring model last week (due off the line on the 7th October) and are upgrading from the Hawk camper (outback) which is only 12 months old.... (Loved it but we want to go on short sharp trips and reduce the set up time and also go on multi stop holidays) We are very excited about new van (wife and 2 kids 9 and 7).

We have similar extras added but we chose to have the axle under slung for some extra clearance, got the 4 bike carrier on the back and ESC added and also added an access hatch to access the storage area under the bunks from outside and a few more small bits and bobs.

If you know anyone who is interested in an almost new camper, I hope the link below will work!!

2013 Jayco Hawk OUTBACK on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1053854091

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Just a question, does Jayco fit bike carriers on the van after market?
Yes the dealers do .
We ordered one for our new van pre delivered as they told us that in our case there is a mirror on the inside wall and it would likely brake when removing it to fit the rack later

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
We wanted to have one put on ours and the dealer WON'T do it now.
Reason they gave on ours was only way will be to have a metal plate and bolts through the wall = ugly.
That and some other tool put 4 bikes on a 2 bike rack and they got done for it for supposedly not saying he couldn't. Well that was the excuse they gave me anyway.

BJ

Matt'N'nic

Aug 9, 2014
Narre Warren South
Ren77,
I am sure they will on the 20.63-1 as is has the solid wall at the back - not sure about other models?? I think they fit the fiamma 2 bike rack and then add another part to make it a 4... I think the dealer charged me $400 + $200 for the attachment?

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Hi all,

Short time member and first time poster!!! Love this site.... So much info!!!!

We also ordered the 20.63-1 touring model last week (due off the line on the 7th October) and are upgrading from the Hawk camper (outback) which is only 12 months old.... (Loved it but we want to go on short sharp trips and reduce the set up time and also go on multi stop holidays) We are very excited about new van (wife and 2 kids 9 and 7).

We have similar extras added but we chose to have the axle under slung for some extra clearance, got the 4 bike carrier on the back and ESC added and also added an access hatch to access the storage area under the bunks from outside and a few more small bits and bobs.

If you know anyone who is interested in an almost new camper, I hope the link below will work!!

2013 Jayco Hawk OUTBACK on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1053854091

Nice one @MattNnic ! We ummed and ahhhed about an access hatch for under the bed actually, but didn't end up doing anything about it - can I ask how much it cost?

Didn't worry about the ESC for now - we thought we would see how the Navara goes towing it, and it necessary we can always add it later.

Sounds like me might get our new vans around the same time - hurry up October!! :D

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Sounds great... I'd go an extended draw bar as well if u can. Makes backing so much easier.

Matt'N'nic

Aug 9, 2014
Narre Warren South
Thanks @Flossmk1... We can't wait.. I hope they take care making our new toys!!!

I think the access hatch cost $160?? Wasn't expensive. Just helped balance out the inside storage and out door for me (lol).

The ESC was a tough one... I did a lot of research on it and still didn't know if I need it. At the end I got them down to $870 fitted and I thought for that I can have peace of mind. I am quite experienced towing but the good lady wife hasn't done a lot and we are keen to share the driving on longer trips...

That's the thing with extras, when do you stop? I was like a kid in a lollie shop. I could have had 10 more things done but I tried to be sensible.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Thanks @Flossmk1... We can't wait.. I hope they take care making our new toys!!!

I think the access hatch cost $160?? Wasn't expensive. Just helped balance out the inside storage and out door for me (lol).

The ESC was a tough one... I did a lot of research on it and still didn't know if I need it. At the end I got them down to $870 fitted and I thought for that I can have peace of mind. I am quite experienced towing but the good lady wife hasn't done a lot and we are keen to share the driving on longer trips...

That's the thing with extras, when do you stop? I was like a kid in a lollie shop. I could have had 10 more things done but I tried to be sensible.

Tell me about it! Very easy to get carried away and overindulge on all the extras lol

We aren't going to worry about the extended drawbar - we have been umming and ahhing all day about it, but as we have space issues already re storing it in our driveway, an extra 30cm will make it even more painful... But we are going to get the access hatch I think - we like the idea of being able to access the cavity under the bunk from outside the van = less trudging backwards and forwards packing/unpacking stuff!

Reactions: Matt'N'nic

Matt'N'nic

Aug 9, 2014
Narre Warren South
Tell me about it! Very easy to get carried away and overindulge on all the extras lol

We aren't going to worry about the extended drawbar - we have been umming and ahhing all day about it, but as we have space issues already re storing it in our driveway, an extra 30cm will make it even more painful... But we are going to get the access hatch I think - we like the idea of being able to access the cavity under the bunk from outside the van = less trudging backwards and forwards packing/unpacking stuff!
The other thing I suggest is to get them to move the internal draw that is located under the bunk towards the back of the van... They located it directly under the ladder location which I thought was silly. I have asked them to move the draw and I will have access to where the old draw was located from outside. I hope you can picture this... Didn't cost me to do it either... One more thing that I did was upgrade the air con to the Ibis air command. They are meant to be awesome. Again, it was reasonable. $190...

My order has gone "red" so no more changes for me - thank goodness...lol

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
The other thing I suggest is to get them to move the internal draw that is located under the bunk towards the back of the van... They located it directly under the ladder location which I thought was silly. I have asked them to move the draw and I will have access to where the old draw was located from outside. I hope you can picture this... Didn't cost me to do it either... One more thing that I did was upgrade the air con to the Ibis air command. They are meant to be awesome. Again, it was reasonable. $190...

My order has gone "red" so no more changes for me - thank goodness...lol

We got rid of the drawer altogether - figured we could use the area under the bed to store longer things like chairs/beach umbrella etc.

I think we went with the standard Coleman Mach 8 air con - does anyone know much about these? Are they good, bad etc? What's the difference between the Coleman and the Ibis? (apart from the price lol)

Matt'N'nic

Aug 9, 2014
Narre Warren South
We got rid of the drawer altogether - figured we could use the area under the bed to store longer things like chairs/beach umbrella etc.

I think we went with the standard Coleman Mach 8 air con - does anyone know much about these? Are they good, bad etc? What's the
difference between the Coleman and the Ibis? (apart from the price lol)
Removing the draw is a good idea. Too late for me :) ah well.

With the air con, I did a little investigating on this forum and there was not one complaint about the ibis air command and all reports were glowing. The Coleman seems okay but some thought it didn't work too well in extremes but they might be referring to the non roof mount units installed in the pop top expandas? My sales guy said that they are quite good but ibis are the ducks guts. I am really fussy with climate control (sort of work in the industry) and have probably gone overboard at home (large daiken central air con and hydronic heating for Melbournes cold winters) and prob gone over again here.... Bit I figure if I am away and it's really hot then I know it will do the job. I am sure the Coleman will be fine.