20' Series Underbody protection

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My rubber over the tank fittings actually follows the line of the bash plate, covering the bits really well.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks for all of the replies so far everyone.

Looks like the first place to start is with some armour flex, and work up from there

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Bluey Armaflex is the black foam insulating material that covers the pipes.

It seems to be the easiest way to protect pipes and wiring.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@Bluey Armaflex is the black foam insulating material that covers the pipes.

It seems to be the easiest way to protect pipes and wiring.
ah yes already done that on my 1756-2 ob all the pipes and wireing are mainly in the middle so couldn't paint any of the floor there is it worth just doing frount and back covering most of underbody with shade cloth is tricky but doable screw treated pine to frame then attach mesh to that can be removed by unscrewing the screws leaving mesh attached to be put back on after cleaning maybe will seriously look at doing this

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I had thought of covering the underneath of the van, screwed underneath the joists, with this, vermon mesh

http://www.bunnings.com.au/wire-mesh-mouse-90cm-6-5x6-5x0-6mm-5m-20014_p3040081

My thinking was with a bit of tension on it, it should stop stones coming through, should allow mud etc to drop out, and should also be reasonably light weight.

Jason
grinner914 should come to the lake beaufort weekend 19th till 21st we are going I think about 29 of us are going some staying longer

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think putting any sort of double panel underneath be it ply, shade cloth or metal is asking for trouble moisture, dirt etc will collect and a section coming away whilst driving will do more damage than the odd rock, taking it off to clean really wouldn't happen often enough either.
Far better to use an underbody paint after covering your pipes that are exposed, pipes behind water tanks would be okay. A big mud flap across the front cross member would be more use in limiting damage and using cable trays to carry the drain pipes front to rear.
But thats just my view.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I think putting any sort of double panel underneath be it ply, shade cloth or metal is asking for trouble moisture, dirt etc will collect and a section coming away whilst driving will do more damage than the odd rock, taking it off to clean really wouldn't happen often enough either.
Far better to use an underbody paint after covering your pipes that are exposed, pipes behind water tanks would be okay. A big mud flap across the front cross member would be more use in limiting damage and using cable trays to carry the drain pipes front to rear.
But thats just my view.
makes sense

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Well, I've been prepping the van for our little jaunt in a few weeks and did a bit of everyones' suggestions;
lagging on the exposed pipes, thanks @Grano n play and @Holden_man)
rubber hanging flaps infront of joints, connectors and electrical that couldn't get the lagging, (Thanks @Stone Stomper)
and sheets of rubber screwed to the floor over water and gas points where saddle clipped to the underside of the floor. (variant of mine)
:)

BTS

Mar 1, 2013
Sydney
Thought I would resurrect this thread in place of starting a new one, have given a considerable amount of thought how to best protect under the van, and finally decided on using some gutter guard galvanised wire and air-condition tubing. Haven’t been off road as yet just hoping this actually works, as I feel that I will need to hose out any mud that gets stuck in the actual mesh. Below is the end result

Under 2.jpg
Under 5.jpg
Under 6.jpg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thought I would resurrect this thread in place of starting a new one, have given a considerable amount of thought how to best protect under the van, and finally decided on using some gutter guard galvanised wire and air-condition tubing. Haven’t been off road as yet just hoping this actually works, as I feel that I will need to hose out any mud that gets stuck in the actual mesh. Below is the end result

View attachment 34847 View attachment 34848 View attachment 34849
nice love it well done I wanted to do something like this but haven't yet

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That should do the job I would have large washers or alloy strips over the screws to fasten the wire as over time vibration will break the individual wires which are holding things up and make more problems.
I'm sure of this as I've done similar years ago and the first time the wire was tek screwed straight on then I went to screwing a strip down over the wire after it started to break and that fixed the problem.
My rig has rubber flaps in front of the tank plumbing and body deadener sprayed elsewhere, seems to work, gas taps are at the front and tucked out of the way.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

View attachment 34847 View attachment 34848 View attachment 34849
Terrific idea @BTS. I wouldnt expect too much "mud" to accumulate on the mesh, depending on where you plan on taking it of course. Ive never had any mud accumulate on any of my chassis cross members in the 3 vans Ive owned ... so cant see mesh attracting it.

Outback dust will obviously coat the wires themselves, but a wet road would wash that off anyway. I think you may have solved a widely ongoing issue, very simply. Awesome; I knew there was reason I never installed that gal gutter mesh I bought 5 years ago. Having the loppers cut down all the trees seems easier, anyway.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Get caught on a wet clay road around broken hill and the stuff will stick to Teflon coated in olive oil. And thats were the flaps are good cause they stop the stuff getting past. But as long as you wash it off whilst it's still wet your good.