20' Series Underbody protection

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We bit the bullet and ordered a Stone Stomper this week, arrives next week. Looking forward to installing it.
Good choice @Frog. The @Stone Stomper is really the only credible option that has virtually only one negative .... it gets filthy, but that's a small inconvenience and trade off. My only recommendation (Christian if your listening) is in my case was it needed to be a little wider at the car. I swapped my ute's factory rims for plain black steel and through lack of range they had a 30mm bigger offset but I needed about 100mm extra width on the Stonestomper to stop stones from sneaking past on the outside. The WDH penetrations could not have been in a worse spot ... in my case they are dead smack in the middle of the where the mesh joins solid sheet section, again possible my input there with my extended drawbar probably creating the issue, so whilst that was 1st world problem and didnt effect fucntion it wasn't ideal.

After all the 1000's of km's of dirt, gravel and rocks we crossed we have an insignificant spattering of small chips to the gellcoat on the outside edge of the front and the Stonestomper itself is still in great condition. Im in a 4x4 ute and we had virtually no dust in the back thanks to the Stonestomper. Around campfire happy hours we heard more than once the only other commercial option, the Rock Tamer, had an issue with the bolts vibrating loose.

Some nong left one of the clips undone after a roadside lunch stop, and just like the dog in European Vacation only a frayed end of shock cord was found at the nights camp. Christian happily posted me out a replacement (thanks again).

Reactions: Frog and Drover

Frog

May 13, 2017
Kuttabul
Good choice @Frog. The @Stone Stomper is really the only credible option that has virtually only one negative .... it gets filthy, but that's a small inconvenience and trade off. My only recommendation (Christian if your listening) is in my case was it needed to be a little wider at the car. I swapped my ute's factory rims for plain black steel and through lack of range they had a 30mm bigger offset but I needed about 100mm extra width on the Stonestomper to stop stones from sneaking past on the outside. The WDH penetrations could not have been in a worse spot ... in my case they are dead smack in the middle of the where the mesh joins solid sheet section, again possible my input there with my extended drawbar probably creating the issue, so whilst that was 1st world problem and didnt effect fucntion it wasn't ideal.

After all the 1000's of km's of dirt, gravel and rocks we crossed we have an insignificant spattering of small chips to the gellcoat on the outside edge of the front and the Stonestomper itself is still in great condition. Im in a 4x4 ute and we had virtually no dust in the back thanks to the Stonestomper. Around campfire happy hours we heard more than once the only other commercial option, the Rock Tamer, had an issue with the bolts vibrating loose.

Some nong left one of the clips undone after a roadside lunch stop, and just like the dog in European Vacation only a frayed end of shock cord was found at the nights camp. Christian happily posted me out a replacement (thanks again).
I am going to be very interested to see if the Stone Stomper helps keep the dust out of the ute, as it sucks in under the tonneau cover.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I am going to be very interested to see if the Stone Stomper helps keep the dust out of the ute, as it sucks in under the tonneau cover.
I have a seal kit from Brown Davis for the tailgate - I'd guess it stopped about 90% of the dust from the off road trips to High Country. Still gets a bit in from the canopy seal.

Reactions: Frog