20' Series Underbody protection

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi all,

Looking underneath my panda, there are a lot of very exposed plastic pipes and tubes and wires floating in the breeze.

I was wondering what others had done to protect all of these things from stones on dirt roads.

I'm looking at getting a stone stomper to protect the front of the van and rear of the tug, but it won't help much underneath the van.

I was thinking of wrapping the pipe work in some sort of covering, but would like to know what others may have done to address this.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
Depends how far you want to go I have seen full checker plate covers made on some vans that covers the tubes etc I think it's factory in one can't remember the name now but

Grano n play

Apr 18, 2013
Perth W.A
As I'm in the building game , I come across a lot of this pipe protection foam, just thrown away, I'm pretty sure they sell it at bunnings, does the job.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I sleeved the lines where they pass thru the cross members, good spot for chaffing then one day I will cover all the lines as Grano and some others have done, I wanted to do that mainly to stop the water freezing in cold climes. I have also fitted some old mud flaps in front of the water tanks plumbing as it was open to a good hit from goolies I thought.
I have sprayed the floor underneath to seal it better as the original black paint looked pretty ordinary and have been thinking of doing it again with some stone guard paint should protect it a bit more and keep a bit of the cold out.

Reactions: blacky and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats why I haven't got around to doing it yet, the thought of getting the plumbing out of the way. I have thought that I would try to mask them up instead of trying to move them. Spraying them would just cause a bad seal and water would surely get under .
Also thinking of just mixing up a batch of homemade......wax, tranny oil and turps, that way you can spray over everything underneath it spreads and seals really well once it sets. Just a pain to mix up.

Reactions: blacky

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
On the last Expanda it was conduit and split tube everywhere. Next van is getting the underbody paint and I have a roll of rubber ready to go as well. Can't over do it, Jayco don't do anywhere near enough protection for anything but sealed roads.

Reactions: Drover

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I thought of painting the floor with under body paint, but then I thought it might trap the moisture between the beams and the floor and rot it out?

Reactions: blacky

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Under floor on my old Truck fridge van had thin metal sheeting to protect the insulation and when it was refurbished it was full of dirt, gravel and moisture was not very nice at all.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
The good thing about the Aircon line Insulation, it's cheap, easy to install, pretty tough, doesn't hide things to much, so access to issues should they happen is easier, easy to replace if it gets damaged, and it's extremely light weight.

HM

Reactions: blacky and Chooky

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I did pretty much the same as stone stomper except I never got around to boxing in that rats nest of wiring. If you don't put rubber in front of the water tank fittings don't expect them to make it. They just smash as many have found.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
was thinking of getting some 0.40mm steel sheets (slightly thinner than colorbond roofing) and tek-screwing it to the underside of the beams - 2.4m x 1.2m for $17......
?

Yeah that's a great idea, possibly using contact as well.