16' Series Stoked Expanda Purchase

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you match the van tyres to tug tyres, that can be very expensive lazy axle rubber !!!! $300 plus for a tyre to put on a van !!!
I know my tug rubber wouldn't fit on my van they would scrub everywhere.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
If you match the van tyres to tug tyres, that can be very expensive lazy axle rubber !!!! $300 plus for a tyre to put on a van !!!
I know my tug rubber wouldn't fit on my van they would scrub everywhere.

Originally I was looking for the ability to have the same tyres all round, but once I got the van, I saw that it wouldn't have worked as you say @Drover.

We actually got the idea originally from Kedron who match the wheel size and stud pattern to the tug, but not Jayco.

I just hate dragging 3 spare tyres around.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @Bellbirdweb , same here I've looked at it everytime with van,trailer and camper, just a hassle sourcing rims, hubs and then tyres, what I've done for years is only carry 2 spares but have a tyre repair kit so i can plug the tyre, quite often don't even have to take the wheel off, of course if you rip the side out well you can only do it once.
But then like I used to do when away in never never land in the truck was carry a spare tyre or 2 not the rim, less weight ,just have to know how to change the damn thing easily, which nowadays not a lot can do let alone have the right tools.

You'd be right with a Cruiser my 14 has 6 stud cruiser hubs and now has Cruiser rims on it, albeit 15" steel ones. I don't think it would work with 18"rims though.

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
So my question is having a 2014 prado is it still beneficial to change to 16s?

Also I have 2' lift with the medium springs possibly B. Im thinking of going to a stiffer spring eg C like the front to help with increase load.

Last, mine is coming with tregg, do u suggest using stabilising bars or not that heavy. Im as mechanically minded as a monkey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have a Tregg or a Trig you can't use a WDH, as for 15 or 16 it really depends on what height your tow bar is compared to the hitch on the van, I think I would go 16 though.

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So my question is having a 2014 prado is it still beneficial to change to 16s?

Also I have 2' lift with the medium springs possibly B. Im thinking of going to a stiffer spring eg C like the front to help with increase load.

Last, mine is coming with tregg, do u suggest using stabilising bars or not that heavy. Im as mechanically minded as a monkey

I ended up finding a gooseneck that dropped down enough so I could make it level on the 15's, but it didn't need much as the outback sits pretty high anyhow.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I suggest the 16" for the van as already stated, they have a greater mass capability
it may or may not impact your Ball weight as such, but it cannot hurt
I should have gone for 16" when I got mine - forgot all about it.............
with the Tregg, as @Drover said, you cannot (well you can, but its a pain) fit the WDH
as for the rear of the Playdoh, have a look at Air Bags......... pump them up when towing, let them down when not.....
easy peasy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Excuse my ignorance ... i thought the only issue matching spare to both car and van would be finding a rim with a massive centre bore, that has the same stud pattern as both the car and van

Whats the other issues i dont know about

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Excuse my ignorance ... i thought the only issue matching spare to both car and van would be finding a rim with a massive centre bore, that has the same stud pattern as both the car and van

Whats the other issues i dont know about

if your like @Drover and have a flash car with very expencive wheels, its not realy a good idea :behindsofa:

if your like me, and have a run of the mill vehicle, great idea to have all rims and tyres the samies

my thoughts anyway........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@bigcol.......What flash car ???? A 10 yr old Jeep, well Yes it is rather flash as it is a Grand Cherokee...lol....245 70x16"tyres fitted, 5 stud rims which would require me to fit new hubs and they probably wouldn't fit without some mods.......

Anyway @Crusty181 if you have say 265 70 R 16 tyres on your tug, you would have to have 16 x 8"rims at least on your van and the width would probably be too much so you would have to increase/decrease the rim offset so the tyre didn't touch the chassis, then it may not fit in the wheel arch as well and many are now coming out with (what i think are stupid) 18 and 20"rims on FWD's so no hope putting them on a van with any sort of decent tyre, so many things to look at.
(Yes I know some require big rims to fit the brake calipers.)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@bigcol.......What flash car ???? A 10 yr old Jeep, well Yes it is rather flash as it is a Grand Cherokee...lol....245 70x16"tyres fitted, 5 stud rims which would require me to fit new hubs and they probably wouldn't fit without some mods.......

flash as a rat with a gold tooth I say......................
10 year old........hurump

mines having its "sweet 16th" this year

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Anyway @Crusty181 if you have say 265 70 R 16 tyres on your tug, you would have to have 16 x 8"rims at least on your van and the width would probably be too much so you would have to increase/decrease the rim offset so the tyre didn't touch the chassis, then it may not fit in the wheel arch as well and many are now coming out with (what i think are stupid) 18 and 20"rims on FWD's so no hope putting them on a van with any sort of decent tyre, so many things to look at.
(Yes I know some require big rims to fit the brake calipers.)

he's right, if it was a case of standard width in the wheel wells of the Vans, you could put the same as whats on your car - with luck

I run 265/75/16 on my car - they wont fit under the Expanda....................

oh well............

I will change to 16" later on, not same tyres, but 16" so if I do have a bad day - I can atleast swap some around

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've worked it out if I put 16's on mine with the new spring set up I think I could go a 225 65 tyre any more and my height would climb beyond the 500mm mark on the hitch and I'm close enough to that ATM.

Sorry for wandering Off Topic @David Spencer just chatting waiting for the pics of your new rig when it turns up.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have 15's on the van and 17's on the car. The overall diameter difference of the tyre about 40mm.

I have two questions; the first, is tire or tyre correct?

And the second question is; assuming I can't carry 2 van spares and 2 car spares ..... so ..... the question is this .... is it better the die a horrible painful drawn out death stranded in the middle of a frightening dangerous nowhere (say, in Perth (ha)), or have a wheel/tire (or tyre) thats not quite right for either the car or van, but fits both as far a stud pattern and clearance etc and would be touch too small for the car and a touch to big for the van .... and maybe a split rim that I can repair as a bonus. The idea being something is better than nothing, and to at least have something to get me to safety (say, not in Perth any more)

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Firstly Tire is the American spelling and Tyre is the English spelling.

If you cannot carry 2 of each spare then don't get flats, simple OR you can repair them in situ with a simple easy to use kit, nail in tyre you jack up wheel, inflate tyre, prepare plug, remove nail, score nail hole, with extra glue ram plug into hole, reinflate tyre, have a beer then lower jack and drive off, job done spare still on rack. These simple kits are available at Supercheap,Repco etc, have been using them for over 30 yrs and never leave home without one.
Now if you rip side out of tyre or blow it to pieces then you use spare, if spare already used because the same has happened before, choose better tyres !!! carry a spare tyre under van, cut off old tyre from rim, liberally smear straight dish washing liquid over bead of new tyre and slam onto rim, using big rubber hammer and 2 x tyre levers pop tyre onto rim, note: you must put tyre on so bead drops into dip in rim first or you will be there for ages. Advise to wear boots not thongs, is easier than it sounds really, if you have CDF is even easier.
Removing a buggered tyre from rim,now that requires skill...try Mr Google he's bound to have something but drive over the tyre on rim works sometimes, but be prepared to look in the bush for your rim when it takes off.......lol.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I carry 2 spares for the tug after several hard learned lessons on outback roads.

I'm only carrying one for the van, but figure if the van has 2 flats you at least have some options.

Depending how far away from civilisation you are, you can always take them in the tug to get them repaired.

You may be able to travel a short distance with only 1 wheel on the van (I've actually done this on a horse float before, without a horse in it).

Or as @Drover has said, you can also attempt a repair.

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Far out tyre gurus. Im heading into dealership tomorrow to finalise the small bits and pieces and this thread has been really valuable eg. wheels (def 16"), extended draw bar, factory fitted extra gas bottle, picnic table (possible).
Caravan Camping Show Wants: clearview mirrors, caravan cover, rear van mirror (I think wireless), Annexe sun shade 1 x long 1 x side, rear air bags.
Later down the track, source a front storage box like one of the guys had made for his drawbar.

They reckon wont be available til late July.. spewing. When I get it, Ill wack some photos on.