16' Series Stoked Expanda Purchase

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Just put down a deposit on 2015 16.49-4 Expanda Outback. Extras: Fusion stereo system (int/ext speakers), Anderson plug on draw bar, show special Tv/antenna.

Now just the long wait til it arrives. Have the WA Caravan and Camping Show coming up...this will be dangerous.

Wants:
Annexe Walls (feedback appreciated)
Extended Mirrors for 2014 Prado
Caravan Cover
Caravan Rear Camera
Rear bike rack (advice appreciated)
Extra 9kg gas bottle
Additional deep cycle battery
Any additional items relative to free camping or other nick nacks for the Expanda
Showering considerations. Not overly preterbed about hot water

Previously owned 2014 Jayco Swan Outback (yep 6 months old) so have all the personal kit eg. cutlery plates etc.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
annex walls - there are a few who have gone the full Annex - see @dagree 's thread on his build
mirrors - Clearview everyday (well, they are on my car all the time.......)

Cvan cover, mmmm
rear camera - again mmmm to many to choose from - I have Polaris hard wired and love it, some have Wireless

well, the gas bottle - get factory fitted - when you go in to choose colours etc
also get the extended draw bar - helps for fitting a box at later date, helps with reversing, helps for somewhere to mount bike rack etc
Bed End Fly's / Privacy screen
go for the 16" wheels if you can - helps with weight distribution

2nd battery is a funny one, depending on where you are camped, and for how long, your single battery may be suffice, with Solar charging - if it is fitted.......

extras..........
Webber Baby Q - you will NOT regret it

also, use it as much as possible..................... :)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Well done David:encouragement: as far as annexe walls goes that depends on the style of camping and how long you go for, you may find a end and side mesh screen will suffice, I have both and only use the annexe at xmas time when setup for 2 weeks. Extended drawbar is a good extra to get as you can`t do it later. Drop down picnic table are great as well.
How do 16" wheels help with weight distribution @bigcol ? I`ve never heard of that.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Would agree with @bigcol's advice re the extend drawbar and also putting the bike rack on the front. Many before, myself included, have had bike racks come off the rear of the van, the second time for me was with a manufacturers designed mount!

Barra

Apr 11, 2014
Townsville
Hi David. You will love it! Get the gas bottle and extra battery from factory so it is included in the factory van weight. Otherwise you will lose your load capacity. You only need an extra battery though if you will be camping without power. I find our 12v TV can draw a bit of power when watched for a few hours. (Only have 1 battery). I bought clear views for our prado. Love em. Also got a rear camera installed on van. Clip on screen in the prado. Makes reversing easy and you can see who is behind you when travelling. Annex walls add weight and take time to set up. Only get it if you will really use it. Baby q is a must! Ours fits under the dining table when travelling.

I have a dual batt in the prado but haven't connected this to the van. It runs the engel in the car. I have powered the 12pin plug to run the frig in the van while travelling with a redarc isolator from the main battery. Travelled 9000kms to Kimberley's and back and worked a treat. Oh, the camera was also wired through the 12pin so only 1 connection required for van to car. Hope this helps.

Barra

Apr 11, 2014
Townsville
Buggar. Forgot to mention the drop down picnic table is a must! Works well to put the toaster on for breaky outside under the annex. as well as other uses.

Reactions: davemc

Squirter231

Feb 21, 2015
Melbourne
Congrats David! Well the Jayco Swan didn't last long did it!

We recently (Dec 14) went from a Swan to an Expanda 16.49-1,

Went with the weberQ 200 with a 4.5kg additional gas bottle on the draw bar. I find it easier to move around with the Q.
Installed my own head unit and speakers just inside the door, sound travels beautifully out through the screen door. (See pic)
We have a full annex, came with the van, has been put up once just to see how it worked.
We use a fold up blow mould table (from bunnings) fits perfectly between the door and awning arm, easily accommodated pod coffee machine, toaster, Weber Q and Waeco underneath. Seems to work for us.

Am also interested on any advice on Bike racks and covers, cheers

IMG_3507.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
How do 16" wheels help with weight distribution@bigcol ? I`ve never heard of that.

I read on here (I think on @Drover 's thread) and other places, that the 15" wheels have a Max Weight Capacity of 1000Kgs
where the 16" are 1500Kgs
not sure on the complete ins and outs, but with the 16" your GMV & GCM are different to the 15"

I have the links on my home Puter - I'm in the desert at work

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Hi guys, great info keep it up.

As per price list:

A frame extended by 300mm $248
Gas Bottle (extra) $208
3 16" wheels (not sure if that incl tyres) $369
Picnic table ??
Baby Q Got one yeeahh

Re reversing camera some make/model advice would be great. I have a 2014 GXL Prado with my wheel fitted reversing camera.Not sure if I can wire the van camera into that screen. Open to wireless/hard wire.

I have an Anderson plug already fitted on my Prado. I asked the dealer to get the Expanda fitted with one to facilitate the fridge but is this not required if I go through the 7 pin plug?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @David Spencer
We got an Australiamade Annex as they were recommended by Caravanland. As @bigcol said it can be seen on our My Jayco thread http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/dagrees-david-greer-2014-17-56-2ob.4749/page-6
When you go to the C & C Show They have a small stand within the Jayco stand and another one inside. Catch up with Terry (Beware as he likes a chat) and see what he can do as a show special!

We only use the full walls if staying more than a week otherwise it's the same as @17triton does and we fit a sunblaster long screen and one end wall screen.

If you can...... DEFINATELY go the extended drawbar. Our van was ordered as floor stock and just has a standard bar :(

We went the Anderson for the fridge, charging batt and feed to the ESC and had the cable to the fridge beefed up in size. Minimal voltage drop over the length from car battery to fridge compared to running through the trailer plug.

I have an Axis reversing camera (Hard wired) which I will be starting to fit tomorrow. Will let you know how it works once installed.

Edit: Just noticed you went the Anderson option!!!!!!

PS...... The wait for pickup is the worst thing ever !

Reactions: Justin

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
Just put down a deposit on 2015 16.49-4 Expanda Outback. Extras: Fusion stereo system (int/ext speakers), Anderson plug on draw bar, show special Tv/antenna.

Now just the long wait til it arrives. Have the WA Caravan and Camping Show coming up...this will be dangerous.

Wants:
Caravan Cover
Caravan Rear Camera
Extra 9kg gas bottle
Any additional items relative to free camping or other nick nacks for the Expanda

Previously owned 2014 Jayco Swan Outback (yep 6 months old) so have all the personal kit eg. cutlery plates etc.
Can I ask

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
Hi David. You will love it! Get the gas bottle and extra battery from factory so it is included in the factory van weight. Otherwise you will lose your load capacity. You only need an extra battery though if you will be camping without power. I find our 12v TV can draw a bit of power when watched for a few hours. (Only have 1 battery). I bought clear views for our prado. Love em. Also got a rear camera installed on van. Clip on screen in the prado. Makes reversing easy and you can see who is behind you when travelling. Annex walls add weight and take time to set up. Only get it if you will really use it. Baby q is a must! Ours fits under the dining table when travelling.

I have a dual batt in the prado but haven't connected this to the van. It runs the engel in the car. I have powered the 12pin plug to run the frig in the van while travelling with a redarc isolator from the main battery. Travelled 9000kms to Kimberley's and back and worked a treat. Oh, the camera was also wired through the 12pin so only 1 connection required for van to car. Hope this helps.
We added an extra water tank, shower, gas bottle etc and assumed the van would be rated accordingly. Basically due to the extra weight of the water and gas. Our dealer advised that this is not the case.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
All great advice @David Spencer maybe I'd also look at extra water tank and does it have hot water ?
as @bigcol said go the 16"s down the track you won't regret it. The load rating is better on the tyres (yes there included in the option) and there is a better range After market. as its a non shower model your payload will be 300kg regardless of tyre fitted but try and ask them to up that to the shower model payload of 375kg you would be supervised how quickley the gear adds up in weight.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

Wants:
Caravan Cover
Caravan Rear Camera
Extra 9kg gas bottle

Ive gone from a normal draw bar in the old Expanda to ext draw bar in the new Expanda, and it makes a big difference for the better

We used the Coleman HWS and a shower tent with the previous van, and found it to be great. I had a 60cm zip door put in the middle of the annex rear wall. Id set up the shower tent outside that zip door, and it work much like an enclosed ensuite with a porta potti and the Coleman HWS.

Rear bike carriers on a van are a disaster waiting to happen unless they have fitted by an engineer. I cringe every time I get behind one of the bouncing, lurching things ........

We use the Milenco Aero clamp on mirrors. I find then really good, and literally take around 10 secs to fit. Im personally not a fan of the super giant, super expensive Clearviews. I quiet like the idea, but in a smaller, cheaper version maybe. The Milenco mirror is very slightly non glass and very slightly distorted, and they vibrate a little (not selling them too well am I) .... but they are good, they stay put, I can see stuff and don't make the car. To put my mirror opinion into perspective, until this our forth van, Ive never used tow mirrors.

We ordered annex walls on our last van, but only used them 4 times in 5 years; 1 of those times was to make sure that they fit. But the times we did use them they were worth the cost, when the annex allowed friends to join us where they would not have been able to otherwise. In the past we've tended not to stay too long in one place, but Im always envious of those groups of people set up with their annexes etc. We did get the walls with the new van too.

Reactions: jvp and Bellbirdweb

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The van tare weight will include the extra tanks, water and gas BUT empty so you don't really gain very much, at least thats what I've led to believe.

As for 15" rim load rating that just depends on the rim, mine came with 1ton ris for an 1800 kg van but has 1100kg rims now, 16" rims will give extra height depending on suspension set up and easier to get the load rated tyre off the shelf instead of ordering in.

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We fought with our dealer when we asked for 16" rims, so we could have the same size tyres as on the car.

After much discussion, they refused to fit them, saying the spare tyre wouldn't fit (which is crap, especially since we got the extended draw bar)

In addition to load increase, 16's are the easiest way to give you added ground clearance.

Last edited: