Our 18-57-6

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Made it to Geelong, the girls were troopers with the travel so we kept going. I wish going north was as easy, great run down here! If it wasn't for the traffic in Melbourne about 14 hrs including stops. Average 9.5L/100 @115km/hr with chip fitted......interesting to see what the return trip says! Now relax tomorrow with heaps to do here for the kids and will check out some spots as suggested by expandafan, thanks for that mate! Oh, and thanks for the well wishes guys!

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Bad news! Could you imagine my disappointment, frustration and anger when Jayco rang me today (the day before handover) to tell me they found a large crack in the shower floor! They have had this van for 3 weeks and only found it now!!!! So I went to the dealers to tear someone a new rear passage and was given 2 options. 1 they would send back to factory and have it replaced then freight back to Newcastle or 2 take it as planned with the crack sealed with sicca and have it replaced at Newcastle, a 25hr job they said!

Well what do you do? We spent 14hrs to get here, excited to pickup and spend 2 nights in it traveling back home not to mention October long weekend! Geelong have assured me that if not satisfied with repairs it will be freighted back to factory, fixed and then sent back to me so I have decided to take home and enjoy the rest of our trip as planned....hope we made the right decision, very bloody frustrating though! As far as I'm concerned it's total incompetence by factory (why did it even leave) and dealer for not picking up on it earlier, as I told them today....how do these major issues go without detection?Anyhow at the end of the day if it's fixed without a trace all will be good I suppose but the inconvenience is at our expense!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Bugger...and everything was going so smoothly. I wonder if the original owner of my van had hassles on delivery as well? That said, everything was obviously corrected because it's perfect now and they purchased another Jayco. Make the most of the handover and enjoy the trip back home. Treat this as just another Jayco hiccup – makes you appreciate an Expanda even more when you suffer for it.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
What can I say, that really sux, shear incompitence of the factory, to start and as for the dealer, basicly from what I can figure out once the van arrives it just sits there untill about the day before delivery then they simply detail it to make it look pretty.

On a recent vist to our dealer to pick up our van, I walked into the work shop to see the workshop manger, there was another staff member present, in the corner was a Starcraft with many of it body parts removed or hanging off, I heard the manager stay " It's got me stuffed how the hell this van ever left the factory"

I guess at the end off the day it's how the problem is dealt with by Jayco/and or the dealer that matters.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Bummer, Burnsy. I can empathise with you as I had the choice of taking my van from Newcastle and returning to the Gold Coast with a non working A/C or leaving it there to be fixed. I think you have made the right decision and it will give you a chance to sus out any other problems.

Good luck and enjoy the trip home.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Bummer, Burnsy. I can empathise with you as I had the choice of taking my van from Newcastle and returning to the Gold Coast with a non working A/C or leaving it there to be fixed. I think you have made the right decision and it will give you a chance to sus out any other problems.

Good luck and enjoy the trip home.
Hi burnsy, yep that's a bummer, I would be pretty unhappy also. I'm with chartrock, think you did the right thing, bring her home see if there are any issue and get it all fixed to your timetable. Safe trip home.
Jas

Cuey

Jan 31, 2012
I Agree Bush Palace, I know you get what you pay for but they say they have Quality control gates in the factory?. I think they are run by the Blind institute of Australia or a Pre primary class..

My roof had more silastik on it to seal 5 vans...

I wasnt happy either....

Good Luck Burnsy....

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thats heart braking Burnsy.

I feel your pain as in the first 12 months i had my van it was back to the dealers for warranty repairs countless times. I think taking the van was wise, and as mention by Chartrock, allows you to go over the van with a fine tooth comb to see if there is any other issues.

I remember there were a number of issues with mine, but by the time i had returned to get them fixed the list was 3 times longer LOL.

My advice is book the van in early, as the dealers always seem to be booked out for months these days. Get the warranty issues fixed, then get out there and use it. Many of my friends and family can't believe after all the issues i had, that i still love my van so much. And i do love it, can't wait to go away again in it soon:)

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Burnsy
As the other guys have said, dont let it ruin your adventure. I guess it's just 'one of those things'. I agree with your decision. Dont be robbed of your fun trip home! I would have done the same.

It is the dealer that has let you down. They would no doubt have a person whos job it is to look over the van at delivery. Looks like s/he was having a shocker that day!

All the best for a safe trip home and a speedy repair.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
That is such a dissapointment. For a company to let a product trough with a fault like that is terrible. Like said before, how can that happen. I am a pretty easy going guy, I have already told my wife to go easy on certain doors etc and don't worry if a couple things break, it's to be expected as we get what we pay for and we are protected by Jayco's excellent warranty. Touch wood I have been rapt with our van and the hand over was OK, we got a little rushed because the 25ft van before us took 3 times the time but we are having fun learning about our van in our own time. We only drove two hours to pick ours up not a couple days each way. I would write a letter direct to Gerry Ryan, he would not be impressed. At the end of the day it needs to be sorted. I think for your inconvenience you deserve a discount or upgrade in accessories like a generator! I would ask to see the process of how the repair will be done. I presume the shower is smaller than the front door? Do they have to remove a bed end? Etc etc?

It will all work out, but i feel your dissapointment.

Geoff

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
I agree with Geoff, a gesture is in order from the dealer/factory for handing over a van with a known defect that a) should have been pickup by factory QC, and b) should have been picked up at pre delivery prep. Maybe even a first service credit at your local dealer, I think that would go someway to compensate for the inconvenience, but also as recognition by the suppliers that this is not acceptable.
But I am sure you are still lovin the panda burnsy, and seeing her there in the rear view I am sure is a sight.

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Whow, Burnsy, I bet you felt sick, and having to make that descision soo far from home is not real good, anyway try to have a good holiday and not think of the van dramas till your at the end of the F3 on the return home.

Greg

AAJB

Jun 3, 2012
Cranbourne nth Victoria
burnsy feel for you with such a big issue, did the dealer offer you anything of compensation? I agree that the servicing should be payed for either by the dealer or the factory due to having this shower issue.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Burnsy. Hope the delivery well very smoothly after the earlier hiccup. The sun came out so I thought that might have been a good omen. Trust you're settled in to watch the game. - Bill

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I met up with Burnsy and his family today down at Geelong and his Expanda is very impressive in the flesh :thumb:

It was good to put a face to a name mate and have a good chat about all things Expanda's and Pajero's :high5: