My BaseStation

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I found that the hinges on the 'trap door' to the boot rubs on the bi-fold mattress and was actually starting to wear a hole in the mattress. Ended up putting Duct tape over the hinges. Any one else found this?
Will definitely check the bolts on the Sea Dragon next time but fairly sure they are already turned.
Have not noticed but will keep an eye on it.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Finally got the replacement WDH frame brackets today for my Andersen weight distribution hitch. Adersen have made longer brackets to suit the jayco outback chassis. The Jayco outback has the tow hitch mounted to the lower of the A frame so that made the chains for the WDH run on an angle and because of that the chains would rub on the edge of the frame bracket tube and also was bending the tow ball connecting plate. The longer brackets hang about 90mm lower but I don't think it will cause any problems.

Original brackets
View attachment 42847

Longer brackets made for the Jayco outback chassis
View attachment 42848

I mounted the so called outer bracket(the one the chain connects through) to the inner of the A frame chassis so that the chains clear the jockey wheel. This makes it easier to connect the WDH up to the car being able to wind the jockey wheel down and take the load off the chains.
Also lets me stow the jockey wheel in the clamp when towing.
View attachment 42849

When I connect it to the car I will add some photos of the chain angles.

Hi @Base23, wondering how you are finding the hitch now with the new set up. I've decided to get a WDH and really like the design of this unit. Only issue I have is that the A-Frame chassis on the Gecko has a reinforcement piece that runs along its length (see the poor pic below). I'm wondering if this will get in the way of the set up? Any thoughts? Overall, still happy with the purchase?

IMG_4703.JPG

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hi @Base23, wondering how you are finding the hitch now with the new set up. I've decided to get a WDH and really like the design of this unit. Only issue I have is that the A-Frame chassis on the Gecko has a reinforcement piece that runs along its length (see the poor pic below). I'm wondering if this will get in the way of the set up? Any thoughts? Overall, still happy with the purchase?

View attachment 44546
Hello Smergen,
Love the Andersen WDH. With the longer A frame brackets it is now perfect, It was great before but now everything is at better angles. I have also just replaced the anti sway cone as I had a few creaking noises coming from the hitch. I just called the distributor (Titan Brakes) and was told that they have a modified cone because of this noise issue and a revised white replacement cone will be posted to me for FREE. Customer service is very good.

New cone is white
2016-08-09 09.00.26.jpg

New cone fitted
2016-08-09 09.00.38.jpg 2016-08-09 09.21.56.jpg

I am very happy that I chose the Andersen WDH as it is very easy to adjust to get the desired load on the front wheels of the tow vehicle and if it still feels bit light at the front I just pull over and give the adjusting nuts a half a turn more and it perfect. Can back and turn the van without disconnecting it and is so smooth and quite. I also think it is a lot safer than the traditional wdh systems.

As for fitting your van it will depend if you can get the lower bolt of the A-Frame bracket between the A-Frame chassis and the reinforcing bar. I think it is about a 16mm bolt.
Looking at the photo it looks to have a bit of room but I cant tell how much.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Really appreciate the quick reply and positive review, so thanks for that. I'll take a closer look tonight and try and work out clearance rates and the like. Will probably get in touch with Titan Brakes and get their feedback on it prior to purchase. I don't want to get one delivered and find that it isn't suitable.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I got a ctek battery sense the other day.
It a Bluetooth battery monitoring device that communicates to my phone and lets me know the battery percentage. Makes it easy to see how the battery is with out going in to the van.
Its just a positive and negative conection to the battery and download the app and it is good to go.

.Screenshot_20160917-211251.png
20160911_101816.jpg 20160911_101714.jpg

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I have been having trouble with the Jayco setec battery charger mains (green) light flashing and have contacted Setec and was advised that this is normal when the charger switches in to float mode. I asked on this forum and no one could tell me that they have seen theirs flash so I have been trying to find the problem and I believe that I have found it.
I let my battery go flat and unplugged the charger and I still had a charge voltage of 13.6 volts going to the battery coming from my projecta IP2000 inverter as it has mains power connected to it.
Rang projecta and was advised that the charge voltage of 13.6 volt and 2 amps is ment to be there as the inverter can be used without a battery connected and still let 240volt pass through.
So I have now fitted a 200 amp resetable circuit breaker so I can disconnect the battery from the inverter and now the Setec charger is working correctly and no lights are flashing.

Circuit breaker fitted
20160920_191117.jpg
Label above inverter to remind me to turn on the circuit breaker.
20160920_191144.jpg

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Fitted a fridge vent van to the top vent of the Basestation to help out the fridge on hot days. The fridge seemed to work well but I just thought it would be a good idea to fit one.
I used a Valterra fridge vent fan and it has a thermal switch in it body of the fan that turns the fan on at 38 degrees and off at 26 degrees, it also has a manual override switch so I can turn the fan off completely.

$_35.jpg

I fitted the fan under the fridge roof vent and got 12volt power from behind the kitchen cupboard next to the fridge.
I fitted the manual override switch in the external entrainment unit PowerPoint switch box.
2017-01-22 15.22.35.jpg

All seems to work well and you can just hear the fan is running.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Fitted a fridge vent van to the top vent of the Basestation to help out the fridge on hot days. The fridge seemed to work well but I just thought it would be a good idea to fit one.
I used a Valterra fridge vent fan and it has a thermal switch in it body of the fan that turns the fan on at 38 degrees and off at 26 degrees, it also has a manual override switch so I can turn the fan off completely.

$_35.jpg

I fitted the fan under the fridge roof vent and got 12volt power from behind the kitchen cupboard next to the fridge.
I fitted the manual override switch in the external entrainment unit PowerPoint switch box.
View attachment 47783

All seems to work well and you can just hear the fan is running.
I like the idea of using the GPO plate to mount 12v switches. Thats going straight to the pool room

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I installed some pantry lights in the Basestation as it was always difficult to see what was in the pantry with no lights.
I used 12v LED corner lights from Jaycar. and a switch that is activated when the door is opened.

I drilled a hole in the plastic edging to mount the switch
2017-02-04 21.15.48.jpg

Door switch fitted
2017-02-05 00.05.28.jpg

I used 2off these lights
2017-02-04 22.28.36.jpg

Mounted the lights to the inside corner of the cupboard
2017-02-05 00.05.48.jpg

All lit up
2017-02-05 00.05.42.jpg

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I installed some pantry lights in the Basestation as it was always difficult to see what was in the pantry with no lights.
I used 12v LED corner lights from Jaycar. and a switch that is activated when the door is opened.

I drilled a hole in the plastic edging to mount the switch
View attachment 47813

Door switch fitted
View attachment 47817

I used 2off these lights
View attachment 47815

Mounted the lights to the inside corner of the cupboard
View attachment 47814

All lit up
View attachment 47816
@Base23 have you got the Jaycar part number for those lights ? I can't find them on their we site, and want to pinch your idea, it looks great.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
At the top of my pantry I have the sphere wireless lighting control box that is controlled with12volt. I removed the control box and got to all the wires behind it and that is where I connected to get power from .
No such luck in mine, so I'll need to run a cable.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Just wondering how far back does the Andersen hitch sit on your Jeep?
I'm considering drilling another hole in the hitch to allow it to sit closer to the tear bumper to reduce the length of the overhang from the rear axle.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Just wondering how far back does the Andersen hitch sit on your Jeep?
I'm considering drilling another hole in the hitch to allow it to sit closer to the tear bumper to reduce the length of the overhang from the rear axle.
My Andersen hitch did sit out to far originally but I have drilled another hole to make it sit back about roughly 50mm.
Will measure and take a photo when I get home tonight.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Measured hitch and the extra hole I drilled was 67mm centre to centre away from original hole.
20170301_202240.jpg 20170301_202444.jpg 20170301_202343.jpg
Could not notice any effect on the way the wdh preformed by moving the hitch further in.
I drilled the extra hole only for cosmetic reasons and also less chance of me hitting my shin on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Out of interest did you drill the hole yourself? I'm not sure I've got any gear that would be able to do it so might need to head down to the local workshop. I've had it confirmed from Titan that drilling the hole doesn't void any warranty, which is nice to know.

Reactions: bigcol