My BaseStation

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Could be a wheel alignment issue. I have read similar issues with the independent suspension being out of alignment from the factory. Getting the alignment checked should reveal the cause.
Cheers
Nick
If you have solid axles then more than likely bent axle with independent probably excessive tow out but a bit strange for all 4 to be the same.......whatever though go to a truck wheel alighner to get it rectified don't go to a dealer or a tyre shop unless they are properly set up for heavy vehicles or you will just keep going back and buying tyres.

I have the independent suspension so I thought I would check the alignment myself and I found that I had between 4mm and 9mm of toe out on 4 wheels.
I could not find any specification on the Jtech independent suspension but a few different companies recommend 2mm toe IN on the front wheels and 0mm on the rear wheels.
To check the amount of toe I had I used a straight edge across the face of the tyre and measured back to the chassis either side of the tyre.
So I went under the van to have a play. The Jtech suspension only has adjustment for toe and you can not adjust the camber.
I first marked all the bolt factory setting so I could revet back to the original setting if I need to. I then loosened the nylock nut and turned the adjuster bolt on one of the suspension arms and set the toe measurement to the specification that I had.

Tonight I will do a tyre rotation from left to right to help with tyre ware.

Photo of tyre, worn on inner edge of tread
2016-07-27 18.12.18.jpg

Marked factory setting
4mm to 9mm toe out
2016-07-27 18.27.28.jpg

This is how much I had to rotate it
My toe is now 2mm in on front wheels and 0mm on rear wheels
2016-07-27 23.02.29.jpg

Nothing ever goes to plan as one of the side block the bolt rotates against to adjust the toe broke so I had to re weld it back on.
(don't be rude tack welds from factory)
2016-07-27 22.12.25.jpg 2016-07-27 23.02.33.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That should work, it's easier if you park each wheel on it's own square of lino or other slippery stuff, wheel will turn easier and less stress on fittings, roll van forward and back and couple of metres with no turning then check as the tyre flex will take up some of the movement, if you had the wheels off the ground disregard the former.............
With dual axle you should rotate front to rear regularly as the rears will scrub.............a steer type tread will offer less rolling resistance and won't chop out as much as a chunky tyre, which serves no purpose other than looks good.

Excellant DIY by the way................GR8

PS: Did you check your measure from a couple of points on the tyre ?????

Reactions: bigcol

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
That should work, it's easier if you park each wheel on it's own square of lino or other slippery stuff, wheel will turn easier and less stress on fittings, roll van forward and back and couple of metres with no turning then check as the tyre flex will take up some of the movement, if you had the wheels off the ground disregard the former.............
With dual axle you should rotate front to rear regularly as the rears will scrub.............a steer type tread will offer less rolling resistance and won't chop out as much as a chunky tyre, which serves no purpose other than looks good.

Excellant DIY by the way................GR8

PS: Did you check your measure from a couple of points on the tyre ?????

Will have to remember the lino trick for next time

Rolled van forward and backwards after every adjustment. ( family were getting sick of coming out to shed to help push van)
and yes I did take measurements from different point on tyre, had to make sure my straight edge was not resting on any of the raised lettering of the tyre though.

Cheers

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats the way, it can be a pain but most satisfying when you sort it out yourself................the lino works or anything that allows the tyre to turn on the concrete without distorting.

Reactions: skippy and bigcol

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
While we were away we we doing a lot of walking so we were drinking a lot water. The drinking water we use comes from my tanks through the factory fitted filtered water tap next to the sink. When we are filling water bottles through this tap the 12 volt pump turns on and off very rapidly and the plumbing pipe work vibrates and is quite noisy as the water flow through the filter tap is slow. Whenever a tap was turned on low we would have the same problem.
To try and fix this problem I am going to fit a Shurflo accumulator (182-200).
upload_2016-8-1_16-13-50.jpeg

I have decided to fit the accumulator to the underside of the van because if it ever leaks it will not cause any damage inside the van.
Before I could fit it I had to sort out the pipe work under the van as I needed a little room to mount it to the underside of the floor. The factory pipe work was a bit messy and pipes all crossed over each other so I decided to remount the water valve and tempering valve so the pipe work runs a little neater.

Before
2016-07-31 15.38.24.jpg 2016-07-31 15.38.02.jpg 2016-07-31 15.38.16.jpg

After
20160801_172728.jpg 20160801_172719.jpg

I needed some John Guest fitting and hose to connect up the accumulator but it was a very simple modification. Basically the accumulator just goes inline in the pump outlet pipe.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy4e41mKeoBcCxAKY_ENuv5Jt1hmA3dojnSs5zv4W-kWiZ3edDjQ.jpg

All installed and looking quite good.

20160801_172704.jpg 20160801_172754.jpg

When I now turn on the water filter tap the pump does not cycle and there is no noise from the pipe work.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Just a few more pics of the basestation in caravan parks from my recent trip to Uluru NT.

Alice springs, Big 4 McDonald ranges
We had a on suite site amd the van was a little big to fit complete on the site.
park were good and supplied a concrete block and witches hat
View attachment 43966 View attachment 43967

Kings canyon resort,
Great park and great views of Canyon. Trees around van would not let me get satellite reception.

View attachment 43965 View attachment 43968 View attachment 43970

The red centre way
Half way between Kings canyon and Uluru
View attachment 43973 View attachment 43974

Ayres rock resort camp ground.
Was one of the worst parks that I have stayed in. Facilities are old and in need of repair, we were placed on a powered site in the un powered area and it was a very narrow site. lucky I was on the end so I could still have my awning out. Power station was only a few hundred meters away and you could hear 4 diesel generators going all day and night.
View attachment 43980 View attachment 43981 View attachment 43982 View attachment 43983 View attachment 43984

On the way home we stopped at Cadney homestead
View attachment 43986 View attachment 43987

and Wommera
View attachment 43985 View attachment 43989 View attachment 43988
Hi @Base23 , we are looking at cvp's in Alice Springs for October and have read a few unflattering reviews about the ensuite sites at the Big 4 McDonald Ranges. What did you think of them (other than the site being too small!). Was it clean and worth the cost? We have also been considering the park across the road from Big 4 as they have ensuite sites too but we don't know much about this park either. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hi @Base23 , we are looking at cvp's in Alice Springs for October and have read a few unflattering reviews about the ensuite sites at the Big 4 McDonald Ranges. What did you think of them (other than the site being too small!). Was it clean and worth the cost? We have also been considering the park across the road from Big 4 as they have ensuite sites too but we don't know much about this park either. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Wanda
The big 4 was a great park, staff were helpful and plenty of facilities. The ensuites were dated but they were clean and had everything you needed. They do not clean the ensuite during your stay but if you run out of toilet paper you just ask and they give you some. When we were at the park there were 2000 other guests so I think the ensuite was worth every cent.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Hi Wanda
The big 4 was a great park, staff were helpful and plenty of facilities. The ensuites were dated but they were clean and had everything you needed. They do not clean the ensuite during your stay but if you run out of toilet paper you just ask and they give you some. When we were at the park there were 2000 other guests so I think the ensuite was worth every cent.
Thanks for that, there are so many reviews around it's good to have one from someone who has been there recently. We really want an ensuite site because we will be staying for about 9 days attending the Masters Games. As for the toilet paper, well that's not a problem, personal preference dictates we always byo! :biggrin1: Cheers, Wanda.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Just a small mod but on the weekend I rotated the bolts that hold the cables for the expanda bed end.
They were factory fitted with the bolt thread towards the canvas and when the bed was folded the thread would touch the canvas and I was scared the one day they would rub through.

Factory
2016-08-16 17.33.38.jpg

Bolt thread now not near canvas
2016-08-16 17.33.30.jpg 2016-08-16 17.33.28.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I put some of those closed round headed nuts over mine so they wouldn't catch on stuff, available at you know where.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
While we were away up in Uluru and Kings canyon we had a few power outages in the parks and because I have wired my inverter to power the complete van it caused a few problems. We were using the A/C during the times the power went out and the inverter would just kick in and we would not even know the power had gone out until about 10 minutes later when the van battery was flat and alarms would sound. This also was a problem with the hot water heating and using inverter power.

So I am rewiring the van so that the A/C and hot water service and not connected to the inverter.
To do that I have had to pull apart the pantry cupboard to get to the 240v wiring and add a few extra cables.

This is how it was wired
upload_2016-8-22_12-41-43.png
This is how it will be
2016-08-22 12.58.40.jpg

This is the mess
2016-08-21 20.52.33.jpg 2016-08-21 20.52.29.jpg

Will get some CMS cables today and complete the wiring tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and peterg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wow, inverter running the HWS that would suck the batteries inside out I would have thought..................been checking power usage while camped on the block and was nearly using as much as our old house !!!!!!!!!! by shutting hings down it has dropped to a better level the HWS was chewing up 60% of the power and the AC for heating was taking the rest with the fridge being very efficient on 240 compared to 12v, now run the HWS on gas instead....

Going by the pic of the wiring did you do a Jayco wiring course ?????

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Wow, inverter running the HWS that would suck the batteries inside out I would have thought..................been checking power usage while camped on the block and was nearly using as much as our old house !!!!!!!!!! by shutting hings down it has dropped to a better level the HWS was chewing up 60% of the power and the AC for heating was taking the rest with the fridge being very efficient on 240 compared to 12v, now run the HWS on gas instead....

Going by the pic of the wiring did you do a Jayco wiring course ?????

Yes HWS uses about 1600 watts so that does not take long to flatten battery.
I would normally run the HWS on gas when free camping but we were in a caravan park and connected to mains so had it on 240volt. It was because on the caravan park power outage that I noticed that I had a problem with the inverter kicking in.

That wiring is all Jayco. (very messy) I have not touched it yet just pulled it apart to see what I needed. It will be a lot neater when I have finished.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
HWS is like having the kettle running non stop, you will need patience and panadol to play with that wiring I reckon...........I've taken to leaving the gas turned on for the fridge so if the power goes off the fridge will run on gas, I reckon if it blows up then I can go van shopping again and lost tucker will be the least of my problems.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Picked up 3 CMS cables and some double adaptors so I could rewired the van last night. Now the hot water and A/C only work when connected to mains power.
2016-08-22 17.10.56.jpg

Basically I split the power in to 2 circuits after the factory circuit breaker, One run feeds HWS, A/C and battery charger and the other feeds goes through the inverter to supply all other power points.

Hot water service and setec battery charger power points had to be rewired on a separate run with the A/C
2016-08-22 18.33.16.jpg 2016-08-22 18.33.19.jpg 2016-08-22 19.09.06.jpg 2016-08-22 19.09.10.jpg

Had to pull a lot apart to change what power point was feed with what power but now I should have no problems when free camping or during power outages.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well that was quick, if we have no 240 only means the AC and Nukeavator are off line, can live with that.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Just a small mod but on the weekend I rotated the bolts that hold the cables for the expanda bed end.
They were factory fitted with the bolt thread towards the canvas and when the bed was folded the thread would touch the canvas and I was scared the one day they would rub through.

Factory
View attachment 44515

Bolt thread now not near canvas
View attachment 44516 View attachment 44517
I found that the hinges on the 'trap door' to the boot rubs on the bi-fold mattress and was actually starting to wear a hole in the mattress. Ended up putting Duct tape over the hinges. Any one else found this?
Will definitely check the bolts on the Sea Dragon next time but fairly sure they are already turned.