17' Series Installing a circulating fan inside Dometic Fridge

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Base23 and @Bellbirdweb... do you think I need to get one if we are on the road full time, and in essence shouldn't ever get warm, is it primarily used to cool the fridge down initially? Or do you think it would also benefit long term use?
Yep as said, the fan doesn't help with cooling, rather for circulating the cold air internally to help create even temperatures.

We have less frozen lettuce now

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks.
Found it yesterday as well. Looks like it is the best/only price I'm heading up the the Newcastle caravan show on the weekend so I'll see if I can find one there

I'm heading to the Melbourne Show in a fortnight and am happy to keep an eye out for people too.

Ha ha.... you've inspired me @NoWorries. I have a few USB fans I bought off EBay cheap. I'll hook one up to one of my battery packs and see how long it runs for at work tomorrow. One would hope it would last quite a while.

Budget fan test update: Fan has been running for 8hrs non-stop now on my battery pack. It's still showing full capacity. :) Plus, I'm keeping cool at my desk.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I'm sure I bought my Valterra fan from Amazon - listed at $18US at the moment....
1 US dollar = 1.31 Aust dollars at the moment.
Postage = ???

Last edited:

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Looks like a great idea....I hate the lettuce tomatoes and cucumber partially freezing.

An idea for some might be what I'll be doing for batteries.. We usually take lots of cheap AA and AAA batteries with us but no other sizes....

upload_2017-3-1_18-37-22.png

There are all types of converters cheap if your willing to wait the six weeks for them to get here from China.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My small cpu fan worked pretty good when I dury rigged it up to the light switch, just never fitted it to be full time,maybe one day.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Just came across this thread about fans inside fridges. Although a bit late, I can definitely recommend it. Just recently had to modify a friend's fridge as his battery operated fan was broken. To replace same was approx $55.00 on ebay. Convinced him to install a small computer fan inside by running a thin wire through the same hole (at back of fridge) as the capillary tube for the thermostat - no drilling!! Only a small computer fan 60mm in diameter was used and attached to wall of fridge (open door side with velcro - no drilling again!!). Had to make a small standoff to allow air to come in from behind. Far cheaper than replacing old battery fan and more efficient too. Has inline switch so can control when required.
My own fridge has two fans inside - 80mm fan at bottom of fridge on side wall facing across the bottom ( no more frozen lettuce!) and moves cold around.
The other one was to combat/reduce the buildup of ice on the evaporator. This is a 60mm fan attached to side wall (again with velcro - no drilling!!) and blows air across the face of the evaporator. Since fitting, have had hardly any ice build up and less need to defrost even in humid weather. Both fans controlled by inline switch. Total power consumption 0.34A. Next step is to include a door switch to turn off fans when door opened. That is another issue.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi Mike with the Penguin, The easy answer to the drain tube allowing cold air to escape/let hot air is to make a small loop in drain tube so that there is always a sort of water lock. No air can flow through the water at the bottom of tube and as melt water builds up it allows excess water to flow out but still retains the same level in the bottom of loop. May need to buy some 10mm plastic tubing, but well worth it. Am getting some facts together to place a thread which may be helpful to a lot of followers who have has cooling problems with their fridge. Watch this space. Cheers.

Reactions: mikerezny

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Just came across this thread about fans inside fridges. Although a bit late, I can definitely recommend it. Just recently had to modify a friend's fridge as his battery operated fan was broken. To replace same was approx $55.00 on ebay. Convinced him to install a small computer fan inside by running a thin wire through the same hole (at back of fridge) as the capillary tube for the thermostat - no drilling!! Only a small computer fan 60mm in diameter was used and attached to wall of fridge (open door side with velcro - no drilling again!!). Had to make a small standoff to allow air to come in from behind. Far cheaper than replacing old battery fan and more efficient too. Has inline switch so can control when required.
My own fridge has two fans inside - 80mm fan at bottom of fridge on side wall facing across the bottom ( no more frozen lettuce!) and moves cold around.
The other one was to combat/reduce the buildup of ice on the evaporator. This is a 60mm fan attached to side wall (again with velcro - no drilling!!) and blows air across the face of the evaporator. Since fitting, have had hardly any ice build up and less need to defrost even in humid weather. Both fans controlled by inline switch. Total power consumption 0.34A. Next step is to include a door switch to turn off fans when door opened. That is another issue.
Would love a pic or two of these fan placements!:D

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi Mike with the Penguin, The easy answer to the drain tube allowing cold air to escape/let hot air is to make a small loop in drain tube so that there is always a sort of water lock. No air can flow through the water at the bottom of tube and as melt water builds up it allows excess water to flow out but still retains the same level in the bottom of loop. May need to buy some 10mm plastic tubing, but well worth it. Am getting some facts together to place a thread which may be helpful to a lot of followers who have has cooling problems with their fridge. Watch this space. Cheers.

Hi @Boots in Action,
thanks. I read about this some time ago, but when I took off the bottom vent and looked, the hose went into a drip tray and it wasn't obvious to me as to how to do it.

Some other Dometic fridges don't seem to have a drip tray and vent through the floor. In that case it would be much easier to put in the 'S' bend.

I wanted to do something quick before heading off and as the plug works well, I left it alone.

It would be good to see some pics of how you did it on your Penguin.

best wishes
Mike