17' Series Installing a circulating fan inside Dometic Fridge

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Hi Guys,
Has anyone installed an internal 12v fan on the elements to circulate cold air in the fridge?
We went away camping in the bush for 3 weeks in Jan and ran the fridge on gas for the whole time. Worked really well but all the eliments ended up icing up a fair bit which reduced the efficency of the fridge. Especially during the hot days.
Doing a bit of googling and a fair few people have done it on their van fridges to reduce icing and circulate the cool air.
Anyone done it with their Jayco?

Cheers

Duncan

Attachments

• examples.png
    examples.png
    313.6 KB · Views: 1,183
  • 6458313.jpg
    6458313.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 739
Reactions: Marv_mart

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Jasman , you have activated my "little grey cells", I have a couple of CPU fans in nice little housings that might just find there way into my fridge ...............great idea for a mod, just need a switch and a battery don't want to drill holes, hang on my fridge has a light...........problem should be solved.......................I'll really be in the good books as we often have things frozen to the elements.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I am also interested in putting a fan inside the fridge.
But I have a few questions for people with more knowledge and experience in this area than me.

I haven't used my fridge for long enough for ice to build up. Does anyone know where the ice builds up on a Dometic 2350?
How long does it take before ice builds up? I expect it would depend on the humidity of the air entering the fridge every time it is opened. Is that correct?
It seems to me that one would only want the fan to come on when the door is shut. What do others think?
Has anyone measured the temperature difference between the cooling fins and the fridge temperature?

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The ice usually forms on the fins after a few days, depends on outside humidity, how often door open, how packed the fridge is but after having one as a food warmer until I fitted it properly, we were happy with ice........................temp depends on loading but too much door opening will keep it warmer.
My fridge has a light in it and looking at things yesterday I think I will fit my fan at back of shelf just below fins to circulate air, but not underneath the fins as I don't want water run off getting into fan plus fitting fan against the fins would only move air around a couple of them.......picking up power from light switch, will see how things go as to whether I will fit a switch set up for it to go off when door opened but will fit a micro switch to shut it down....no light can run power thru the drain.

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
I got some wires through next to the capillary from the thermostat, for the external temp gauge I fitted. maybe look at that. I didn't like going through the drain as that might cause a blockage

Reactions: Drover

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I got some wires through next to the capillary from the thermostat, for the external temp gauge I fitted. maybe look at that. I didn't like going through the drain as that might cause a blockage
Hi,
I actually fitted a plug to block up the drain hole. It seemed to me that the drip tray fits directly under the cooling fins and channels
some of the coldest air out to the back of the fridge, or lets hot air flow up into the fridge. However, I suspect it probably doesn't make a huge improvement.

I made the plug loose fitting so water can still seep past if it builds up. Check each time when we get home and there hasn't been any water in the tray.

I fit plastic trays to all the shelves including a crisper tray to the bottom shelf to greatly reduce new hot humid air getting into the fridge every time the door is opened. Also, reduce the number of times the door is opened.

If the fridge is cycling instead of being on all the time, and the temperature is not too low, wouldn't the ice buildup be melting away?

cheers
Mike

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Base23 and @Bellbirdweb... do you think I need to get one if we are on the road full time, and in essence shouldn't ever get warm, is it primarily used to cool the fridge down initially? Or do you think it would also benefit long term use?

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
@Base23 and @Bellbirdweb... do you think I need to get one if we are on the road full time, and in essence shouldn't ever get warm, is it primarily used to cool the fridge down initially? Or do you think it would also benefit long term use?
My wife loves the fridge fan, She says the fridge temp is more even with the fan on and we no longer have frozen lettuce or rock hard butter.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
mmmm beer...

While we are talking fridges, has anyone ever herd of the bottom shelf breaking off the door? I may have put too many beers in there on our last trip and i think the weight and vibrations didn't agree with the fridge door. Opened it when we got there and found the bottom shelf had snapped one of the plastic mounts off the door and the tray was sitting in the bottom of the fridge. Thankfully beer was ok.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Off the cuff, @spiderpig I would recommend throw away the shelf, fasten a big wide band of velcro to the door, (white with the hooks) and then make up some stubby holders out of the furry velcro and stick beer to door..........................can't have beer running amok inside fridge.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
mmmm beer...

While we are talking fridges, has anyone ever herd of the bottom shelf breaking off the door? I may have put too many beers in there on our last trip and i think the weight and vibrations didn't agree with the fridge door. Opened it when we got there and found the bottom shelf had snapped one of the plastic mounts off the door and the tray was sitting in the bottom of the fridge. Thankfully beer was ok.

Hi @spiderpig,

just out of curiosity regarding the beers: were they heavies or lights?

cheers
Mike