17' Series Installing a circulating fan inside Dometic Fridge

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I cut a small bit of alloy, 2mm thick, and riveted it to the spring clip then riveted the thermo to it..........worked a treat and a pic of it is somewhere in this link, just can't find it...............http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/page-4 so easy to swap around.

Hi @Drover , thanks for the link to this thread. It took a while to find the picture as I started at page 4 and went up through your threads. It was all on page one!!! Time goes very quickly as we all get older and lose track of time. The photo is great and I will give it a go and see what happens. Will be getting back to you when details confirmed and what thermo worked best for me. Thanks again.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ha !!!!!!!! I started in the middle but gave up at page 4, I really should bookmark some of the bits............with The Tardis I just went with the 70 as thats what others used, it was with Big Mal that I tried others but ended up back with a 70 for no other reason than it would shut down where the 50 stayed on all the time.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Ha !!!!!!!! I started in the middle but gave up at page 4, I really should bookmark some of the bits............with The Tardis I just went with the 70 as thats what others used, it was with Big Mal that I tried others but ended up back with a 70 for no other reason than it would shut down where the 50 stayed on all the time.

Hi @Drover , it was great fun reading about all your adventures as I perused all those threads you have placed in this forum. Got to know a lot about you that way! It will be very interesting to see what each thermo does for my "little esky" in the Penguin. Should keep my "bag of ice and a can of coke" at a more constant temp when it gets hot. Noted again your success with a 70 C thermo for your bigger fridge in Big Mal.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Did the fan mod on a Swan and I can't recall what thermo I used think it was a 70 but it kept it running very well by all reports, at least when you drop something down the back you can find or reach it, on Big Mal the drop is about 4ft and exceedingly hard to get at.......if at all.
I can't take any cudo's for the fan mod all others work, well maybe the clip for the switch.

and I'm not at the top of the list of posties either, mind you some of the ideas/mods are mine others are drawn from elsewhere, on here or around campfires, some of my mods which I spent hours working out how to do, I find out later others have done the same and I wish I'd found out earlier would have saved a lot of work, doesn't matter so long as we all share the news and have a laugh while doing it.........................

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Did the fan mod on a Swan and I can't recall what thermo I used think it was a 70 but it kept it running very well by all reports, at least when you drop something down the back you can find or reach it, on Big Mal the drop is about 4ft and exceedingly hard to get at.......if at all.
I can't take any cudo's for the fan mod all others work, well maybe the clip for the switch.

and I'm not at the top of the list of posties either, mind you some of the ideas/mods are mine others are drawn from elsewhere, on here or around campfires, some of my mods which I spent hours working out how to do, I find out later others have done the same and I wish I'd found out earlier would have saved a lot of work, doesn't matter so long as we all share the news and have a laugh while doing it.........................

I agree completely about sharing the news and ideas and having a laugh as well. That is why I cheat on everybody else's ideas if I think it will improve my modest van. You are too modest!!!! And honest as well.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
That's a good article @Duncanblake36 , have to save it so we don't have to repeat the same thing in another thread when this gets rehashed again........its just what's been said in a couple threads over the last few years.
Hi @Drover and @mikerezny , I have finally got around to fitting thermostat on pipe at back of fridge. Thanks to @Drover , I have been able to modify his good idea by using machine screws instead of rivets to hold bracket to metal plate and thermo itself. Will make changing thermos easy, by just undoing screws and replacing with another one whilst seeing which one suits best for our climate up here in sunny Queensland. See photos. Also, I have placed thermo on pipe on side AWAY from boiler stack. See photo. I thought that the boiler side might be too hot most of the time. Anyway, I can always change it back as I left sufficient cable so that it will reach either side. Starting off with 55C thermo, but have 60C and 50C as spares. Thanks to both above for assistance and others on this forum .

Attachments

• P1120151.JPG
    P1120151.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 262
  • P1120158.JPG
    P1120158.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 260
  • P1120159.JPG
    P1120159.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 271

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A lot neater than mine, I think mine isn't working as the fans will come on soon as I flick the switch even when its all stone cold, either that or I stuffed something up last time I was fiddling in there, I suppose I better sort it out, one day....