Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Good morning just a thought hows @Crusty181 s van going ????? Maybe i missed it but heard nothing has he got it back ??? Are they rebuilding it under warranty from the chassis up or hang on that needed repairing too is he getting a new van ???? Or just new couch ive heard page bros has to get a sucker truck in to clean out there drains after all the dirt from his van cloged there drains what eva is happening im sure hes on top of it he will have to go outback again to make it look as it did
Its back at the factory .... but only temporarily. Its going back again for some more love.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Roughing it. Might need to turn the fire down.

IMG_0018.JPG

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've got some of them........................and I mean the coverings over your legs and feet, just haven't seen them for ages, I wonder where they are ?????????????????????????????

Oh and Drovers Handy Tip No: 214........don't use Thinners to remove tar from the van walls especially the metal ones, it takes the paint with it.............some fool grabbed Thinners instead of Turps.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Aaaaaarrrggghhhhhhhh, ordered a wheel cover, just a cheapy simulated vinyl leather to cover the tyres on Big Mal while it sits in the yard, box arrives in mail today, it didn't look the right shape, I was right inside the box was a flash kids bike helmet, complete with visor, not flamin happy, logged onto to Ebay, did the "I'm not happy"form and find the Australian ebayer I bought it form is actually in China, must have depot in Brissie though as the postage was like 2 days...................I will be very surprised if this gets sorted out in a couple of days, might have a flash Xmas pressie for a G/kid.
ebay03.jpg...........................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We headed down to the Bellarine Big4 last weekend with our oldest 2 and their families. Bit of a mixed bag on the Crusty's Incident Success Meter.

Firstly the vans been at the dealer for 2 months getting fixed, ..... or more importantly not getting fixed. I collected it just for this weekend like a rental van only to have to return it to collect my deposit We had a list of non catastrophic issues, and I have a pretty good relationship with the dealer service area, but surprisingly only the one of the listed items was resolved within that 2 months and that was the replacement of the bed end fly mesh with Midgie mesh, which ironically is the item I paid them a lot of money to do. The elderly owner of Page Bros Jayco is an old building mate of my dads from the Jurassic age.

Only just got the anode I think
20170629_131513-resized-1400.jpg

The oven came free whilst we were away on the big trip and after being returned to the dealer after the "repair" it was to everyone's horror, when it was discovered the Dometic agent waved his Harry Potters wand over it ..... and it didnt change a thing, so the ovens still sitting on the service dept floor which is a long way from the open gas line in the large cabinet hole where the oven used to live.

Had I had not been careful I may well have the opportunity to do I practical comparison btw the diesel and gas ducted heater
20170629_153840-resized-1400.jpg

However as an ideas man I knocked up this almost identical, and attractive replacement. (which Im tempted to keep)
20170629_153815-resized-1400.jpg

Anyway we arrived at the Bellarine Big4 which is an awesome c/park for kids, which in turn make fro an awesome c/park for the accompanying parents. My son booked the weekend, a powered site and 2 cabins. I was less than amused to discover on day 2 that the miserable thieving a$reholes at the Bellarine Big4 find it necessary to price gouge us an extra $100 just to have adjacent site to cabin locations, and one cabin was in the next street anyway. A bit of a family tax program. Just to insult right in, that bloody c/park was around 25% occupied.
20170630_152625-resized-1400.jpg

On a positive note, removing the good old fashion reaming to one side, the c/park itself in impressive. Heated indoor pool, enclosed heated camp kitchen, bathrooms, bike track, BMX track, jumping pillows, play room, gymnasium, blaa blaa blaa ... and absolutely enormous sites. I could have driven onto the site and turned the behemoth around. As it was we had ample room to stay hitched, with room to spare.

Tested the annex for the first time. Just goes to show that even though Tebbs canvas have been around for 70 years, they still get it wrong. The van skirt studs didn't line up with the van studs, but the annex looks good and looks over function are very important.
20170701_082946-resized-1400.jpg

It was freaken freezing over the weekend when the sun wasnt high in the sky. Minus 2 on both nights and as expected the diesel heater was punching well above its weight. The problem started when it ran out of fuel around 3am Fri night, my fault. In comparison to as gas heater (removing my stupidity from the equation) I carry a litre of emergency diesel which I put in at ... um ... around 7.30am when I decided to brave the cold. Although I accept your much much less likely to ever run out of gas, its a bonus that I can top it up so easily. Because gas is used for so much, summer or winter, I think gas is more actively monitored whereas I mostly only consider the level diesel tank when the heater turns off :confused:

Day 2 I topped up my emergency 1 litre heater fuel, and put 2 litres in the heater tank thinking that should be enough. That 2 litres should last 20 hours per the 100/hr spec rate, but the heater shut down after around 17 hours which indicates it was thumping away flat out the entire time. The controller temperature was set at 20deg, and the van temperature sat at 18deg. I noticed the bed end was much cooler than the rest of the van, and very cold air was seeping in through the 3 roof hatches. We have cut up some foam interlocking annex mat to block the roof hatches in the heat, so I suspect if we used those along with the storm cover on the bed to protect the bed canvas and create a buffer, the heater would be more effective in lower subzero temps.

All in all tho, its a big van with a big canvass bag hanging off one end, so I think it did pretty well

Slipped a piece of black laminate into the front of the fridge, to add another $10k value to the van
20170706_163323.jpg

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
"We missed you by that much" @Crusty181
Heading there tomorrow for 3 nights got a cheap deal $49 a night for all of us, its a nice park the kids love it although can be pricey.
It would not bother me no oven and cooktop I used the stove only for making coffee when free camping once :)

We have a ceramic heater which probably get used.
Not taking the annex better not show Sarah the Annex pic she want to take it :)

So when do they fix your van another 2 months?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Gee Bruce, it's always fun and games when the Crustycons hit the road, have heard similar stories about Bellarine, awhile back an ExMilitary mob I'm with had a gathering there, discount for the group but a fella who booked 2 days before forgot to mention th4e secret password and got charged less than the other fellas in the group.........laughs and curses all round.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
"We missed you by that much" @Crusty181
Heading there tomorrow for 3 nights got a cheap deal $49 a night for all of us, its a nice park the kids love it although can be pricey.
It would not bother me no oven and cooktop I used the stove only for making coffee when free camping once :)

We have a ceramic heater which probably get used.
Not taking the annex better not show Sarah the Annex pic she want to take it :)

So when do they fix your van another 2 months?
It goes back as soon as the replace couch cushions arrive from the Jayco factory

Reactions: davemc and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Gee Bruce, it's always fun and games when the Crustycons hit the road, have heard similar stories about Bellarine, awhile back an ExMilitary mob I'm with had a gathering there, discount for the group but a fella who booked 2 days before forgot to mention th4e secret password and got charged less than the other fellas in the group.........laughs and curses all round.
I seen to collect problems that for certain

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Aaaaaarrrggghhhhhhhh, ordered a wheel cover, just a cheapy simulated vinyl leather to cover the tyres on Big Mal while it sits in the yard, box arrives in mail today, it didn't look the right shape, I was right inside the box was a flash kids bike helmet, complete with visor, not flamin happy, logged onto to Ebay, did the "I'm not happy"form and find the Australian ebayer I bought it form is actually in China, must have depot in Brissie though as the postage was like 2 days...................I will be very surprised if this gets sorted out in a couple of days, might have a flash Xmas pressie for a G/kid.
View attachment 50157...........................
You should keep the helmet ;)

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now @Crusty181 and the others regarding that other thread which I said I'm keeping away from, I most certainly am staying away as I get to annoyed with the topic and how dense some can be and Crusty181 I did like the pic but I aint going there no matter how stupid a post may be............................today had a lovely morning out in the Yaks at Innskip Point with a Victorian mate, a few big rays spotted but the highlight was a couple of Dugongs, just bluddy amazing...............................getting ready for the big mod on Big Mal next week and she'll be ready to set sail anywhere we want, with the faint odour of Eau D De Truckie of an evening possibly.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Now @Crusty181 and the others regarding that other thread which I said I'm keeping away from, I most certainly am staying away as I get to annoyed with the topic and how dense some can be and Crusty181 I did like the pic but I aint going there no matter how stupid a post may be............................today had a lovely morning out in the Yaks at Innskip Point with a Victorian mate, a few big rays spotted but the highlight was a couple of Dugongs, just bluddy amazing...............................getting ready for the big mod on Big Mal next week and she'll be ready to set sail anywhere we want, with the faint odour of Eau D De Truckie of an evening possibly.
Your serious about not responding !! Replying on a completely different thread .... but its too late, because you posted "over there" to tell us you wont, um ... post, "over there"

No picks of the Dugongs ??

I sense the presence of a new paid up member of the Discerning Diesel Heater Owners Club. Welcome, the secret password is tick...tick... tick...tick...tick... tick...tick...tick... tick...tick...tick... tick...tick...tick... tick...