Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
CSIRO Officials admitted that they found about 200 dead crows on the highway between Nyngan and Nevertire, in NSW, where there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu.

The NSW Government approved and the CSIRO contracted a bird pathologist to examine the remains of all the crows and he confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, much to everyone’s relief.

However, he determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, and only 2% were killed by car impact. The NSW Government then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine the disproportionate percentages for truck versus car kills.

After 18 months of research and $2.7 million spent, the Ornithological Behaviourist determined the cause in the deaths. When crows eat road kill, they always set-up a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger. His conclusion was that the lookout crow could say “Cah”, but he could not say “Truck”.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
CSIRO Officials admitted that they found about 200 dead crows on the highway between Nyngan and Nevertire, in NSW, where there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu.

The NSW Government approved and the CSIRO contracted a bird pathologist to examine the remains of all the crows and he confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, much to everyone’s relief.

However, he determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, and only 2% were killed by car impact. The NSW Government then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine the disproportionate percentages for truck versus car kills.

After 18 months of research and $2.7 million spent, the Ornithological Behaviourist determined the cause in the deaths. When crows eat road kill, they always set-up a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger. His conclusion was that the lookout crow could say “Cah”, but he could not say “Truck”.
I can't believe I read it all

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
The only person aI know that has actually hit a crow was a mate from Biloela when he bought a Phase 1 Falcon GT, he reconds it took a year or so for them to come to terms with the speed lol

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When I first saw it I actually miss read the start, I thought it was talking about Cows so it piqued my interest, found it most entertaining.............and @Dobbie I am a greenie but a real one, I'm a country boy not some city, head up bum wanker, cut tree down because you need to use it, shoot cow/roo/duck because your hungry etc..................and I drive 4 x 4's not some yuppy version either and have been known to pack hardware as well.................................need a picture thingy to denote, swig of beer, make horrible noise and spit on ground and kick cat............................sorry gentle folk I'm just a mechanised retired Drover......................

PS: Damn I crack myself up, lol,lol,lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Damn it...you cracked me up as well.

Wasn't having a go at you but ....

(Just for the record: I'm one who tries to conserve, use effectively but avoid all the hype and rubbish from the so called lobbyists)

Anyway...I don't like crows but we're lucky, we don't have any...lots of other fauna .....and it did amuse..

:crutch::doh:

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Avalon, you lucky mongrel @Bluey , I would dearly love to go but, the effort to get to and from the place and the crowds just puts me off.........Did look at a fly in package but would have to mortage a few grandkids to manage it...........................so take heaps of pics.
will just get the video and watch it...........................Anyone going to Wannaka NZ ??????? Well don't tell me, it's on the dream list as well so we won't mention Duxford either.............................Don't know those names then ask Mr google.

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Good morning hope we get heated off today it will be close its nice by the beach this morning but soon will be back in concreat jungel in the city
A mate got tickets for this years air show at Avalon carnt wait
Its raining over here today,nice change from the heat tho:)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just read a write up on a Dodge RAM, yes please Santa I really, really need one, actually Easter Bunny could bring it, I'll pass on the chocolate...

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Just read a write up on a Dodge RAM, yes please Santa I really, really need one, actually Easter Bunny could bring it, I'll pass on the chocolate...
Seriously looking at one of these after my recent visit to the weighbridge.

I looked on the US web site and put together the options to match what they are putting in them over here, and priced it up.

Between what we are paying and what they are costing in the US, with the US$ to A$ conversion there is a A$61,000 difference.

Sure, there is cost in doing the conversion properly, but I think there is a fair bit of middle man profit at this end in that.

They'll need to drop down a bit from the current $140k before they get much market share here, but if they start to get closer to the cruisers similar in price, we'd see a lot more of them.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Shed got an impromptu sort and clean today...................went hunting for the 35amp relay I knew should have been in my 12v box, so after tipping out nearly every box and clearing every shelf, I gave up....shed looks very tidy, like that will last long.
Just have to make my new sat dish post and Big Mal is ready to roll, unless the rates notice arrives, still flamin hot but at least everyone has gone back to work and we have our beach back.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Did a full 12v check of Big Mal today with The Ute plugged in, the relay I fitted under the bonnet to turn the power to van off with ignition worked, used a piggy back fuse in the engine bay fuse box into a spare terminal made life easier than trying to tap in elsewhere.............Checked out that the Breakaway was charging and all good, then had a thought on how to charge the Breakaway when parked up at home, make a lead up with and anderson on one end and an old 7 pin on the other wired to the terminal that charges the breakaway, plug into the van 7 pin and anderson so the house battery should keep the breakaway battery charged up without ginning around with other chargers............................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Getting ready for the hot weekend, been dry recently so we have had a little bit of rain the last 2 days so it will be nice and steamy as well for the weekend.....................................................just going to go a camp on the beach all day I think......................

Big Mal has a vinyl stone guard across the front and trying to keep it looking good has been a big pain, nothing would work, none of the normal auto stuff would be any good for more than a week.............Mrs D suggested her floor polish, Woolworths $6, aptly named Floor Polish in big letters, so put some in spray bottle, sprayed on gave wipe to spread it around and now days later, heaps of sun and a couple of good rain storms, it's still nice and shiny, water beads..............think I'm on a winner, if the Ute had a plastic bumper I would be seeing how it goes as well.....Don't ask for pics as I'm not.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Rain....what's that?

Dry as a fishes' udder here...still waiting for something from the skies.

Send it Huey!,,,,I can't keep the garden going without some water from the skies.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol