20' Series Front hard lid door on new 20.64-1ob

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Spoke to the dealer about our van due end of June. The factory is going back to the old design. Looks like anyone who has the "new" design is stuck with it. Doesn't seem too fair!
until the new design ones leak then they will be changed over at the dealers i"d say

Panda Shell

Oct 28, 2014
Kalamunda WA
We have our 20.64-1 due next week and I today rang our awesome sales guy to ask if he has heard anything about this. He tells me that this is all news to him and no-one else has mentioned it either. He has promised to make some enquiries with Jayco and get back to me.
Does anyone have anything in writing from Jayco, to the effect that they have admitted that there is a problem with the bed ends sealing or has it all been word of mouth?

Reactions: Tone and Flossymk1

Panda Shell

Oct 28, 2014
Kalamunda WA
I was told direct by dealer on our 20.63 due mid april, have also seen on other forums where ppl with vans on order were contacted by dealer re hardlid issue.
I will be really interested to see what we actually get then!! I really do like Jayco vans but it seems the flow of information between head office and the dealers (especially WA) is atrocious! I almost get the feeling that apparently 60 odd thousand dollars is not much and its a matter of suck it and see. Our salesman over here has been great but they make him work hard for every bit of info that we request.

Reactions: Smirke

Ozzy

Feb 14, 2015
Hi our 17.56.2 Expanda outback was due of line 17th March have been told the front hard lid had a crack in it seems like there is problem can't get any answers to when it will be ready to be picked up

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
Speaking to one of the Melbourne sales guys at the Perth show, he stated their were issues with the hardtops on the new models. Apparently the Expandas destined for the show were delayed due to the issue. He mentioned that they had to remake the moulds due to problems with sealing/cracks.

As you say, it would be nice for a straight answer as different staff have different stories:blue:

Reactions: Flossymk1

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
I asked our sales guy yesterday, and he says he has head nothing about the problems, they have sold quite a few new hard lid vans with no issues, ours still hasn't arrived, so no van for Easter.

Reactions: Flossymk1

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
We are due to pick up our 17.56-2 next week havnt heard of the lids changing. I guess we will see. The dealer said it was going through water leak testing last week. It's a worry when a new desigh is released, I guess someone has to be the guinea pigs. Pitty the dealer is 200ks away, hope it dosent go back too often.
Hi Tone, I assume you got your new rig by now, hope you love it and the handover went well.
I have done a bit of research over the last few weeks as my family and I are buying our first Expanda, 17.56-2. I have been to several dealers and not one mention of lids leaking or possible changes to the new design. All the display models have the new style lid. I'm yet to ask the dealer the question as I only seen this post tonight. Does anyone have any more details about this problem. Is it all 2015 models? Has anyone spoke to a dealer in Victoria that has admitted their is a problem ? I was hoping to place an order soon but I'm getting a little worried about committing to such an investment and knowing their could be such a major issue?
Any info would help? Thanks

Last edited:

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Hi Tone, I assume you got your new rig by now, hope you love it and the handover went well.
I have done a bit of research over the last few weeks as my family and I are buying our first Expanda, 17.56-2. I have been to several dealers and not one mention of lids leaking or possible changes to the new design. All the display models have the new style lid. I'm yet to ask the dealer the question as I only seen this post tonight. Does anyone have any more details about this problem. Is it all 2015 models? Has anyone spoke to a dealer in Victoria that has admitted their is a problem ? I was hoping to place an order soon but I'm getting a little worried about committing to such an investment and knowing their could be such a major issue?
Any info would help? Thanks
I will let you know after Thursday when we finally grr pick up the van only 6 weeks late grr. I have heard that the delay was because the first lids the early vans didn't fit properly but that isn't confirmed. I asked a dealer a month ago and he said he wasn't aware of the problem but keep the problem quiet and there isn't one right?

Panda Shell

Oct 28, 2014
Kalamunda WA
Well I have been waiting for problems with our 20.64-1 OB hard lids but they seem to be ok! I have hosed the van down a few times and have had no issue with water ingress, so looks like all is good. There are other issues, mainly with the quality of the build, but I will be addressing that after my next trip.

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
I will let you know after Thursday when we finally grr pick up the van only 6 weeks late grr. I have heard that the delay was because the first lids the early vans didn't fit properly but that isn't confirmed. I asked a dealer a month ago and he said he wasn't aware of the problem but keep the problem quiet and there isn't one right?
6 weeks late !!!! We'll wish you all the best for Thursday only 3 more sleeps.

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Well I have been waiting for problems with our 20.64-1 OB hard lids but they seem to be ok! I have hosed the van down a few times and have had no issue with water ingress, so looks like all is good. There are other issues, mainly with the quality of the build, but I will be addressing that after my next trip.
As for build quality, these are to be expected, I plan on tidying things up myself once I get mine ( need to order it first :) I think Jayco are great value for money with good resale value. They do the job. I just hope they at least get the basics right...... Like hard lids leaking. Great to hear your 20.64-1 hasn't leaked.

Reactions: Tone

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic

Hi Panda Shell Congrats! we've ordered the same for a late June delivery can you please tell me the weights on your compliance plate.
Cheers

Panda Shell

Oct 28, 2014
Kalamunda WA
Hi Panda Shell Congrats! we've ordered the same for a late June delivery can you please tell me the weights on your compliance plate.
Cheers

Hi JaycoQ,
Sorry I think you may have asked for this before, but I forgot to take a pic of the plate, so here it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 220

Panda Shell

Oct 28, 2014
Kalamunda WA
I guess the test for lids leaking will be driving at 100km/h in the rain.

Well I had a good look today and found these cracks on the hard lid on the front. They are on the reinforcing that holds the top to the frame and is on both sides. I don't think it will leak but it is definitely a problem.
This van is about 2 weeks old and has travelled about 600km on bitumen roads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 260

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
We hope to get ours in the next 2 weeks, but from what I understand this issue may have only been on the 20.64 models, not much mention on any other forums being an issue on the 17.56 @Cutters, from what I can find lately.
Recently contacted a local dealer and his understanding of the new lids leaking where due to rushed manufacture prior to the C&C show earlier this year they did have some issues on the 20.56. He said the issue was specifically with the 20.64 and not the 17.56.
Apparently the fix is to run a double seal around the lids. I asked if there where any thoughts of changing the lid design or reverting back to recessed style was on the cards, and as far as his aware the fix is a double seal on the 20.64 only.
I failed to see the differance between the lids on the 20.64 & 17.56, so he was going to ask Jayco and confirm the fix and if the 17.56 will also get a double seal and if not, why? I plan to get something in writing before I order !