20' Series Front hard lid door on new 20.64-1ob

Cooinda2

Feb 1, 2015
we have bought a new 20.64-1ob and was informed to day by our dealer that jayco are having issues with front lid not sealing well!!! So they are going to make lid like the previous 2014 model to fix problem. Just wondering if anyone has had the problem or has been informed as well????

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Interesting. That's the first I've heard of it...
Yes, i was looking at the same model at the Camping and Caravan Show in Perth and comparing it to our 2013 20.63.1. I noticed they had changed the lid design and was wondering about the sealability of the bed ends with the new configuration. It looked ad if Jayco had planned to make sure everything gets wet, so made the ends the way they did. Didnt make sense on an engineering or structural level to me as they looked like the rubber wasnt going to sit right and the lid would constantly move when on the road and affect the weatherproofing. It was possibly a bean counter's idea of saving a quid that turned out to be just the opposite.

They have also messed with the layout at the front end of the interior too that makes it less practical. Dropped the height of the little cupboard to the left of the door that gives an impression of greater space and openness as well as dropping the bed height but it doesnt work for me. They have replaced the cast lifting rings on the under bed storage that break every 5 minutes with razor blade sharp numptily manufactured, cheap and nasty tin plate ones.

Did like the 50/50 split mattress though that should make it easier to pack away. No matter how hard i try i still cock up the process with the old style. It is like juggling jelly or herding cats - whichever is the most frustrating.

Also liked the new hockey stick design, but looks flimsy and the plastic ratchet bit is going to have punters queuing up at Jayco spare parts counters for years to come. Methinks another cheap design that will cause issues. Also, is it my imagination or is the height from mattress to top of bed end tent bit thingo less? I know i have put on a bit of pork whilst in the top paddock these past few months, but it seemed very claustrophobic and low.

Have been pondering for a little while as to whether our Expanda would be the 'van of choice that we would take off in for our, as yet, un-planned couple of years away that should hopefully materialise at some point in the next 18 months. Timing of course, entirely dependent on ongoing new German company personality clashes and relationships as well as both dogs individually impending demise permitting. The former is already not looking good presently and with the latter, at 15 years old, how long can these two little buggers live for? I digress........looking at other vans at the show for ideas, could not help but wonder if we had bought the right 'van after all. Everything else seemed to lack space, openness and storage, when compared to what we already have. Every one that is, except those bloody Cell vans that I keep getting drawn back to - i dont half like the look of those.

I guess time and finances will tell when we are eventually turning the last sod on the Tenterfield Terrier's final resting place as to what we end up doing, when we end up doing it and what we end up doing it in.

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Also glad we got the 2014 model (Only checked the difference in the 17.56.2). Reversed floor plan is good for those that want a full annexe due to the fridge venting issue. Wasn't impressed with the narrower/lower TV cabinet at the front. Did like the look of the 50/50 split mattresses as I also have an issue with closing our rear bed when packing up.... Almost got it down to three attempts to close it without swearing ;)

Not sure about the reduced thickness of the mattress although it gives the illusion of more room between it and the bed roof?

The only other thing I picked up on is if emptying the toilet cassette it is done under the awning or inside the annexe if fitted!!!!!! But then again would save carrying a torch if emptying at night!

Reactions: Cooinda2 and Smirke
Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
Hi @Cooinda2 - I have just got off the phone with our dealer who has just said the same, they are going back to 2014 design on our 20.63-1 run, van due off the line late April - didn't worry me, much rather have something that isn't broken and the privacy screens / flys will fit without waiting for a new design. Was looking at your post last night wondering, so there is a second confirmation.

Also we couldn't get our heads around the dinky cupboard you mentioned either @meandher (a frost) , so that was changed to match the kitchen cupboards profile right quick by the boss.

Reactions: Flossymk1

Cooinda2

Feb 1, 2015
Hi @Cooinda2 - I have just got off the phone with our dealer who has just said the same, they are going back to 2014 design on our 20.63-1 run, van due off the line late April - didn't worry me, much rather have something that isn't broken and the privacy screens / flys will fit without waiting for a new design. Was looking at your post last night wondering, so there is a second confirmation.

Also we couldn't get our heads around the dinky cupboard you mentioned either @meandher (a frost) , so that was changed to match the kitchen cupboards profile right quick by the boss.

That makes me feel bit better!!! I know getting something new can be a risk but never had a expanda caravan before!!!
Might enquire about that cupboard too!!! I'm guessing yours is the 2 beds either end??

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD

I have to say that I am also glad we got a 2014 model from the sounds of things! But I wonder what type of old lid you will get? Will it be the "old old" one or the "old new" one, with the rubber seal running around the outside edge like mine is? (Sorry if that is confusing lol)

The bonus about the "old new" one with the weatherproof seal, is that you can attach the waterproof bed end flys and leave them permanently attached to the van - saves a lot of set up / pack up time!

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
We are due to pick up our 17.56-2 next week havnt heard of the lids changing. I guess we will see. The dealer said it was going through water leak testing last week. It's a worry when a new desigh is released, I guess someone has to be the guinea pigs. Pitty the dealer is 200ks away, hope it dosent go back too often.

Cooinda2

Feb 1, 2015
Passionfingers I'm glad we waited till after caravan camping show!!! Are you getting bed converter as well???

Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
No bed converter - as it was I didn't want to get the bunks, with a 18,17 and a 13 yr old, chances of them coming with us are very rare nowadays, so miss 4 gets a dbl bed unless the others come, so am leaving the lounge as a lounge- plus I am so clumsy I would probably walk or sit on anyone sleeping there one night!

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Spoke to the dealer about our van due end of June. The factory is going back to the old design. Looks like anyone who has the "new" design is stuck with it. Doesn't seem too fair!