Exterior Did the anode today

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
If you have any probs or can't find a correct size socket let me know and I'll look in the shed and try find the socket and bring with us on the weekend and help you do it over the weekend (Use the parks water to flush it out LOL)

Reactions: Chookster

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
I do have to admit I did remove it approx. 18 months ago to have a look at it and it still had plenty of meat left on it, so I put it back in.
My biggest mistake on the day was not de-pressurising the unit before undoing the anode. That last turn before it came flying out across the driveway soaking me wasn't the smartest thing to do....haha.

Will know for next time (just gotta find out how to do it..hehe)
Sounds like my first anode replacement experience, I was having a giggle to myself as I was reading your post, I got covered in all the white crap from in the tank as well :)

Reactions: Matty4 and dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Sounds like my first anode replacement experience, I was having a giggle to myself as I was reading your post, I got covered in all the white crap from in the tank as well :)

I reckon it'd be a shorter list to ask which member didn't get covered in it the first time they did! :biggrin-26:

Reactions: dagree and Chooky

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Maybe I neglected to mention that I too was covered in white crap. Don't they go off!!!
Didn't say anything cause I felt like a bit of a goose but it sounds like we have a lot of geese around here;)

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
my anode after 3 years and I didn't get wet! cant believe the amount of crap that flushed out, big chunks and all
photos 002.jpg

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Guess it's time I did mine again with all this talk of anodes
I'm just worried I wont be able to undo it, the mobile service guy did it last time and he did it up with a breaker bar.:eek-53:

Reactions: Bonners

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Heading away in a few weeks so thought I'd do a couple of things to the van. Did the anode in the HWS for the first time since we bought it.
4 year old anode
86030BEB-A78E-4331-8682-65A87BB7B676.jpg
My only concern was getting the bloody thing back in. Struggled to catch the thread with such little room for my big hands. The thread in the HWS was also full of buildup from the anode and struggled to get it done up again. I'll test it tomorrow for leaks.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
They can be a bit tricky to get the thread started because of the taper and the weight of the rod hanging inside the tank. I found my 2nd anode I replaced went in much easier but it was a different brand.

Not bad for 4 years old though :thumb:

Reactions: Matty4 and Drover

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Also changed ours last weekend, hardest part was getting it back in. Also read on the pack the repacement came in was that if your magnesium anode needs replacing between 12-18 months, you may need to change over to aluminium anode

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
after changing mine and seeing the gunk I now fill the kettle and saucepan from the cold water tap lucky we have a instant gas system at home,makes you more aware of the house water anodes.
shiraz