Exterior Did the anode today

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
image.jpg image.jpg Have a go at the state of the anode after 3 years.
I vacuumed the tank and the amount of crap that came out was amazing!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
3 yrs, I do mine every 12 mths, how did you vacuum the tank? just place the nozzle over the hole? or did you make up a smaller tube to fit inside.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
3 yrs, I do mine every 12 mths, how did you vacuum the tank? just place the nozzle over the hole? or did you make up a smaller tube to fit inside.
Got a 1/2 inch hose on the wet & dry vacuum and started a process of flush and suck;)
How's yours look after 12 months?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Maybe Jayco should offer a continuous flow hot water systems with copper heat exchanger as an option.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I do have to admit I did remove it approx. 18 months ago to have a look at it and it still had plenty of meat left on it, so I put it back in.
My biggest mistake on the day was not de-pressurising the unit before undoing the anode. That last turn before it came flying out across the driveway soaking me wasn't the smartest thing to do....haha.

Will know for next time (just gotta find out how to do it..hehe)

Reactions: Chooky and bigcol

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Ok so I see these anode thingys appear to be the element for the HWS and people are replacing them at 6, 12 or 18 month intervals which would be dependant on use. Apart from a physical inspection how would you tell they were failing, warm not hot water?. Seems like a silly solution to heat water as domestic instantaneous HWS don't have these issues, well not the one we use to have.
What is a replacement anode worth.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
No @MDS69 they aren't the heating element they are whats called a sacrificial anode.
Made of zinc, or similar, and are used to protect the tank from rusting.... Same as the small zinc locks you see on outboard motors.
Only way of checking is visual.... Or maybe a leaking tank :o

Replacement cost around the $18 to $30 mark dependent where you get them.

Reactions: bigcol

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
Must be the season, did mine on the weekend, had to cut inch or so off to match length of existing one. Good tip from someone about silicon the joint between unit and van wall - great threads on how to do it, just search with anode on forum

Reactions: cruza driver

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
No @MDS69 they aren't the heating element they are whats called a sacrificial anode.
Made of zinc, or similar, and are used to protect the tank from rusting.... Same as the small zinc locks you see on outboard motors.
Only way of checking is visual.... Or maybe a leaking tank :o

Replacement cost around the $18 to $30 mark dependent where you get them.

Thanks for the informative answer there @dagree

Reactions: dagree