Dagree's (David & Greer) 2014 17.56.2OB

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How does it do that ?
Our roof top sat has 2 LNB one I use for Foxtel but the other goes to the sat finder unit that runs the dish and it has a loop outlet that I just need to run to the other Foxtel inlet .
All I need to do is work out how to get the cable run behind the micro wave .
So yes at the moment I just split the single one and Foxtel works fine except for the free to air channels
The short answer is .... how the bloody hell would I know, Im a chippie.

I had a single LNB for a Strong decorder. When we hooked up the Foxtel box we needed to either get a dual LNB and twin cabling or split it for the Foxtel box. I bought the Steren to do that switching, because I worked out with one cable I needed to alternate the cable between the box inputs for it to work and a switch would solve the problem of having to unscrew it all the time ..... and it just worked

Because we need to feed signal into both Foxtel inputs I had to switch it over once a day. It would stop working, flick the switch and it loads the programming guide, and it would run all programs for the rest of the day. In the new van I fitted a splitter thinking it would do the same job continuously.

Thats when like you I lost the FTA programs. The only difference was the Steren/splitter so I fitted the Steren in place of the splitter and back came the FTA.

I have no clue what the technicalities are for Foxtel to run dual cabling, but I suppose if they didn't have to and a splitter would work they would go down that path.

The Steren solves your FTA with a flick of the switch once a day.

Reactions: mfexpanda

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
My head is hurting o_O
Our setup is working and I'll leave it as is ;) If we don't get terrestrial I'll setup the FTA dish and if that doesn't work then it'll be listen to the radio, CD's or whatever DVD Mrs Dagree puts on ;)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I like this setup. Thanks for the explanation but I'm probably at least a year away from doing anything about it ...just getting my head around it at this stage.

Continue to enjoy your travels and avoid the rain in the north at the moment.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
The short answer is .... how the bloody hell would I know, Im a chippie.

I had a single LNB for a Strong decorder. When we hooked up the Foxtel box we needed to either get a dual LNB and twin cabling or split it for the Foxtel box. I bought the Steren to do that switching, because I worked out with one cable I needed to alternate the cable between the box inputs for it to work and a switch would solve the problem of having to unscrew it all the time ..... and it just worked

Because we need to feed signal into both Foxtel inputs I had to switch it over once a day. It would stop working, flick the switch and it loads the programming guide, and it would run all programs for the rest of the day. In the new van I fitted a splitter thinking it would do the same job continuously.

Thats when like you I lost the FTA programs. The only difference was the Steren/splitter so I fitted the Steren in place of the splitter and back came the FTA.

I have no clue what the technicalities are for Foxtel to run dual cabling, but I suppose if they didn't have to and a splitter would work they would go down that path.

The Steren solves your FTA with a flick of the switch once a day.
I'll give it a go thanks for the info you techno chippie

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Sounds like a lot of effort to watch tv. We decided not watch tv when travelling. We play games, read books, go night walks, etc instead. Found now that we rarely watch tv at home as well.

Saves a fortune on satellite setup costs, headaches and ongoing fees..

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This most informative thread was doing so well, it got me to tidy up the mess of cables behind the TV and Satking box as well as my WiFi thingy, then @Crusty181's post did my head in like @dagree , but since I doubt I'll ever get Foxtel it's FTA, DVD's or fishing.........though I'm going to see if I can run a HDMI cable under the van to some sort of socket for the awning TV to run the Sat FTA.....one day it will happen.

@peterg is spot on though, not much on either brand of TV, well Shaun The Sheep is cool.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sounds like a lot of effort to watch tv. We decided not watch tv when travelling. We play games, read books, go night walks, etc instead. Found now that we rarely watch tv at home as well.

Saves a fortune on satellite setup costs, headaches and ongoing fees..
What sort of games?? :oops: Im starting to loose interest in the TV now ... walk me through this "playing of games"

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I'll give it a go thanks for the info you techno chippie
The only place youll find those switches is in the USA for about $70 imported or via fishpond.com.au for $16 ... who import them direct from the USA.

I know the Steren 200-310 works, but search Steren 200-315 it appears to be a push button version. There only $24. I bought one but tried it after ditching Foxtel for VAST.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
This most informative thread was doing so well, it got me to tidy up the mess of cables behind the TV and Satking box as well as my WiFi thingy, then @Crusty181's post did my head in like @dagree , but since I doubt I'll ever get Foxtel it's FTA, DVD's or fishing.........though I'm going to see if I can run a HDMI cable under the van to some sort of socket for the awning TV to run the Sat FTA.....one day it will happen.

@peterg is spot on though, not much on either brand of TV, well Shaun The Sheep is cool.
How do you keep up to date with Home and Away without watching TV. New Idea can only take it so far.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
New idea takes it more than so far...it takes it into the realm of imaginative conjecture.

I was reading a New Idea in a caravan park laundry while waiting for the washing to finish and there was an article that announced that the Queen had Alzheimer's, Chuckles was taking over ....all to happen by the end of 2015.

I guess they got it wrong...again....and again.

The magazine is overpriced!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
TV is really Womans Day and New Idea on video, thats why I like Shaun The Sheep or the NRL, escapism............am proud to say have never, ever watched Neighbours, Home and Away or any reality show, send me nuts.

Sorry Dags, we are just chatting amongst ourselves until you get back...........................:D

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
am proud to say have never, ever watched Neighbours, Home and Away or any reality show
Wish I could say the same but........My life is a living hell if Mrs D doesn't get her daily dose of H&A!!!!!! :o

Sorry Dags, we are just chatting amongst ourselves until you get back...........................:D
I'm back now stop ;)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
TV is really Womans Day and New Idea on video, thats why I like Shaun The Sheep or the NRL, escapism............am proud to say have never, ever watched Neighbours, Home and Away or any reality show, send me nuts.

Neighbours and Home & Away are reality shows? ... i feel like such a idiot. The lack of acting should have been a dead giveaway.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Well between trips to the hospital over the weekend for dear ol' Mum, doing some winter weeding (Just love farm strength roundup ;) ) and baby sitting 2 5yo grandsons I found a few minutes to finish what were the planned "LAST" mods to the van!!!!!

Fitted a marine AM/FM wire antennae originally to the stereo when I fitted it...
ant1b.jpg
Worked OK in the metro area but failed the test on our last trip to Gingin!

Called into the local caravan accessory shop and picked up the old rubber duckie rubber aerial and spoke to the "expert" and was told they are not ground dependent like car aerials! Fitted it and worked a treat on most stations that scanned in but a few were a bit dodgy but when handling the cable reception improved! (Might have to have a play around and see if an earth wire from the antennae base to chassis makes a difference?)

While there I spotted the rack with sail/rope tracks and picked up a length to fit to the "off side" of the van for the spare shade wall we have. Did the same to the last van and it was good when parked up with no shade and for parking the push bikes under!
Img_0766.jpg

Washed the van then parked it away under cover before finding something else to do ;)