Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

taz

Apr 28, 2013
Tasmania
The shelves look great @cruza driver . That's my job this weekend for our van.

I was looking at using 6mm thick plywood, but see you used 12mm. Ours will only have clothes on them, do you reckon 6mm would be ok, or did you use 12mm for a particular reason?

Taz

Reactions: cruza driver

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
The shelves look great @cruza driver . That's my job this weekend for our van.

I was looking at using 6mm thick plywood, but see you used 12mm. Ours will only have clothes on them, do you reckon 6mm would be ok, or did you use 12mm for a particular reason?

Taz
I think 6mm will be too thin unless you strengthen it up which defeats the purpose imo, go 12mm and it won`t sag on you.

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I agree 12mm will hold its shape better imo and if you decide to put something heavy on there you know it will handle it.

It was only about $12 a sheet for the size I bought.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Since we haven't had a chance for any trips lately I thought I would spend some time getting a few small jobs done on the Expanda. As the saying goes "Mods are never complete" :)

1st off we use to sometimes get a small bit of dust in the rear overhead cupboard. Mainly after long hauls on outback roads. It was coming up under the van through the gap at the rear, behind the wall and into the cupboard. Well that's all I could work out and the only way it could get in. I applied silicone to the join of the wall and curve in the roof.
1956202_zpsm00vrfqz.jpg

I then sealed under the van. I'm still thinking about putting an aluminium angle under there too
1962%202_zpsowe5gmpu.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I also used some of the left over aluminium angle from the shelves and created a lip on the front of the shelf so everything wouldn't fall out when we opened the door. 8-) No pic though.

So while I was crawling around under the van I thought I might as well make up some trap doors (as I call them) to cover the big holes in the floor for the A/C condenser. I'm going to dob some silicone on the threads of the bolts so they can't work loose.
Here is one pic I have taken. I made two, one for each side of the chassis rail.
1964%202_zps33nz2s9n.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Moving from outside the Expanda to the inside I thought about what else needed doing. The double door buffet next to the entry door has 2 big open shelves. Things use to get mixed up in there ie clothes. With a spare sheet of ply left over I made a divider so there is 4 separate compartments.
A few "L" brackets were picked up from the local hardware and the job was done. I actually have to thank @Moto Moto :mullet: for this idea as he has done the same.
2013%202_zps5w2t6uln.jpg

2014%202_zpsdlprf0dd.jpg

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Moving from outside the Expanda to the inside I thought about what else needed doing. The double door buffet next to the entry door has 2 big open shelves. Things use to get mixed up in there ie clothes. With a spare sheet of ply left over I made a divider so there is 4 separate compartments.
A few "L" brackets were picked up from the local hardware and the job was done. I actually have to thank @Moto Moto :mullet: for this idea as he has done the same.
2013%202_zps5w2t6uln.jpg

2014%202_zpsdlprf0dd.jpg
Great idea I think I might have to copy you this time mate.