Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Since I had the wheels off I thought I might as well replace the wheel bearings after thinking about the last time I did them. No pics of this as I have previously posted this before in this thread "Installing new wheel bearings"

At a rough guess this set of bearings have done maybe close to 15-20k The axle seals were starting to show signs of wear but not leaking and the bearings still looked good but since they were apart I thought I'd replace them anyway. Preventative maintenance I call it :thumb:

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Nothing better than preventative maintenance...... Better than doing the job out the middle of nowhere in dusty or muddy conditions with minimal tools!!!!!

Reactions: cruza driver

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Just trying to save you $'s @bigcol ;)
Did a boat trailer bearing a few years ago between Kalbarri and Carnarvon..... Cost me $200 to get a $20 set of bearings up from Gero. Just glad it wasn't the hot season!

Reactions: bigcol

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Since I had the wheels off I thought I might as well replace the wheel bearing after thinking about the last time I did them. No pics of this as I have previously posted this before in this thread "Installing new wheel bearings"

At a rough guess this set of bearings have done maybe close to 15-20k The axle seals were starting to show signs of wear but not leaking and the bearings still looked good but since they were apart I thought I'd replace them anyway. Preventative maintenance I call it :thumb:
Good timing posting this. I said to my wife the it may be time to do the bearings.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I think the D697s that do have white lettering it's an outline lettering like the coopers sometimes have. But it is strange why it's hit and miss.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
How about we all chime in 5cents each and buy @cruza driver one of these of fleabay?

image.jpg

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
The OE tyres on the Expanda are approaching 4.5 years old so I thought I might replace them before they let me down (no pun intended :D) They still have plenty of tread and have never had a puncture. They have covered their far share of Outback roads without issue too. Another reason for the change was I wanted some L/T tyres for there better construction.

Bugger, A little light flashed We have a 2005 16.49.3 Outback expanda we replaced bearings when we bought it but two trips to W.A and two to Rockhampton QLD
plus a couple of trips to the Snowys and Grampians taking there toll looks as if two new tires and a bearing check are on the cards Better safe than sorry.
Thanks for the timely WARNING.
The BT50 on last service I was told to renew back tires in about 10,000 staked one at Noosa lucky they were $50 cheaper the pair fitted than in Adelaide.
Head to Darwin 15th July
with new tyres and repacked Bearings Yes we carry a spare set.
keep those wheels turning shiraz

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
I run D697's on our Discovery, great tyre so far. No white writing on tyre. Recently fitted Goodyear Duratrac's to Cruiser, no white writing either so grabbed some white marker pens off ebay and just did the outline, boring job but looks better

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Bugger, A little light flashed We have a 2005 16.49.3 Outback expanda we replaced bearings when we bought it but two trips to W.A and two to Rockhampton QLD
plus a couple of trips to the Snowys and Grampians taking there toll looks as if two new tires and a bearing check are on the cards Better safe than sorry.
Thanks for the timely WARNING.
The BT50 on last service I was told to renew back tires in about 10,000 staked one at Noosa lucky they were $50 cheaper the pair fitted than in Adelaide.
Head to Darwin 15th July
with new tyres and repacked Bearings Yes we carry a spare set.
keep those wheels turning shiraz
Good idea @shiraz its better than replacing a blown tyre or wheel bearings on the side of the road :hopelessness:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I thought I'd share a couple more little jobs that I've done on the Expanda in the last week or so.

Firstly a trip down to Bunnings and I picked up a couple of battery operated sensor lights. They are adjustable leds that can be switched on manually or via the sensor itself after dark. They are for indoor use and I mounted one under the Heron A/C unit and the other in the ensuite. No more stumbling around for a light switch. :)

The first time we used it was at the Nagambie forum meet and it worked a treat.
008%202_zpsx9fax2w9.jpg

A bit blurry but I'm really happy with the light output, not eye blinding.....
009%202_zpsmrgnta3r.jpg

The last time I switched between the two gas bottles the tap was a bit tight to move. I then noticed it was leaking so when at Jayco yesterday I remembered to grab one. He mentioned its a common problem for the seal to perish over time.
006%202_zpsg56xv7dx.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Firstly a trip down to Bunnings and I picked up a couple of battery operated sensor lights. They are adjustable leds that can be switched on manually or via the sensor itself after dark. They are for indoor use and I mounted one under the Heron A/C unit and the other in the ensuite. No more stumbling around for a light switch. :)

They are a great little light..... Also picked up a double pack of them. One in the fridge and the other under the top bunk so the grandson can see what he is eating ;)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Since having the BT the one thing I have missed is not having the rubbish bag mounted on the spare wheel since selling the Cruiser for when free camping etc. Its came in very handy, we even used it for dirty clothes on some trips. (No we didn't throw them out :witless:)
After throwing the rubbish in the tub of the ute it was time for another solution.

I found my Bushranger branded rubbish bag and thought how I was going to reuse it, I came up with this idea.
Mount it on the stone deflector....I wish I thought of this a couple of years ago :violin:
005%202_zpstvrlpdoo.jpg

004%202_zpstbdypiov.jpg

Last edited: