Just Browsing Cleaning a Weber bbq

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Just want to check I'm not missing an easier way to clean our Weber when away from home.

We use a Karcher when at home and spray the lid, base and plate before blasting it. Happy with that process.

But when away from home the BBQ still needs to be cleaned and I haven't found an easy way to do it. I've tried various BBQ cleaners, oven cleaners and even degreaser....a mistake as it took ages to get the taste and smell out of the Weber.

We've resorted to just wiping, scraping etc when we can then blasting with the Karcher when we get home but someone might know of a simpler solution.

Baby Q is now about 9 years old and doing well, but is black inside.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks ...so far.

I now remember the book said something about leaving it on high for a few minutes but I'm always so keen to eat I forgot that instruction.

I will also try the wire brush trick.

I forgot to say we once nearly evacuated a camping area as we forgot to empty the drip dray after a particularly luscious roast. The smoke from the Weber, when we used it again, was likened to burning tyres! Haven't done that again.

Reactions: bigcol

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
@BigSkiddy After every use I leave it at full heat for five minutes to burn off oil and crap.
I then use a wire brush dipping it in water whilst still on and hot.
You don't want it too clean as it does add to the flavor.

totally agree but don't forget to empty the tray, makes a mess in its bag,
only a few weeks before the weber goes on holiday its gets a pressure clean next week.

shiraz
rearing to go west.
just need a house sitter and harvest date.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
What a wonderful event to look forward to....a Shiraz harvest.

Has it been a good season so far?

I'm a long standing supporter of the SA wine industry and will be heading down there again in a couple of months to continue that support.

Reactions: bigcol

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
I have had this discussion with others. I thought the whole idea of a Weber is to cut down on cleaning. All I do is leave it on high for 5 mins then before I cook on it again I brush it and paper towel it with oil. Empty the tray when necessary. Every three months I take the burners out and clean it with hot water, brush etc. I avoid solvents. My mates wife does not agree and he has to clean it every time, poor bastard. I might be stupid but I cook on the top surface, not the underneath, and at 60 degrees most bugs are D E A D, dead.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It was my faulty memory, and failure to read and follow instructions, which has contributed to my original question.

I will now try to remember to keep burners on after food is cooked and use a wire brush to get the loose stuff. Can't have it too clean, it would spoil the ambience.

Thanks, all.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Like others I leave it on for a few minuets after use then wire brush it but I also re-oil/season the grill whilst it is hot as well.

If you use your Baby q for cooking roasts (as we do when we are away) by the time the roast is done the grill is totally oil free so be sure to re-oil/season it whilst it is still hot.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Bbq wipes are great. If there is a lot of stuff on it I give it a quick squirt with oven cleaner and hose it off. But as others have said, don't clean it too well or you lose the taste

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
image.jpeg

Lashed out yesterday and bought a baby q for the van. Very happy it fits on the old stand.
image.jpeg

Got the 3m bayonet and duffel bag. The old Weber 200 will now reside under the pergola at home.