Interior Caravan Safety - LPG Detectors

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
@burnsie did you have any Error faults come up when you installed yours? I installed the same one this afternoon hard wired to the Setec, it turns on okay and displays the temp and after 30-60 second it comes up with ERR and then flashes and the alarm goes off.

Hey @AzHaych thats not good news, my install seem to go fine no error codes etc, only problem I had with mine was that the unit is in two parts, and in order for it to work correctly the connection between the two needs to be sealed/connected tightly otherwise the display goes off and looses power from the back section where the wiring connects.

Mine also had the built in battery removed, so I assume yours only can be powered by the 12v as well? I know pressing the buttons a few times takes you through some different displays but sorry haven't seen the err message as yet.

Hopefully the guy comes back to you soon with a solution.....

Reactions: dagree

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hey @AzHaych thats not good news, my install seem to go fine no error codes etc, only problem I had with mine was that the unit is in two parts, and in order for it to work correctly the connection between the two needs to be sealed/connected tightly otherwise the display goes off and looses power from the back section where the wiring connects.

Mine also had the built in battery removed, so I assume yours only can be powered by the 12v as well? I know pressing the buttons a few times takes you through some different displays but sorry haven't seen the err message as yet.

Hopefully the guy comes back to you soon with a solution.....

Hey mate, thanks for the reply this morning.
The guy from ebay came back to me this morning (quick response) told me to check for any dust or debris blocking the sensor and blow it out. When I removed the front tonight to do just that I noticed that the sensor wasn't sitting all the way into its mount. Pushed it in, switched it on and no more ERR code.

Good service from the ebay seller, he said to test it and if it didnt work he would express ship me out a replacement.
Thanks again
Az

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We didn't hard wire the gas detector but added a 12 v plug to the supplied wiring.

The thinking is that we connect it when using the van but it's not taking battery power when van is not used.

Can anyone suggest a reason for not doing this? I can't think of one but may be too simplistic.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
My reason for not relying on the plug and play option @Dobbie ....... "Memory" and "Old Age" :hopelessness:
Me too! Also mine is only on when the battery is switched on or if it's on 240, so it's like unplugging it without having to remember.

Also as we say on here, if there isnt a photo it didnt happen, so here is the photo.

IMG_1729.JPG
IMG_1728.JPG

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Tidy looking unit my problem is though, that it is in the right position for LPG detection but CO will gather up around the roof by the time it accumulates at floor level you could have croaked it.
Or is there a slave unit up higher ??????

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Damn, I posted a reply last night @Holden_man and it didn't turn up on here !!!!!!!!............I thought an article on the other thread mentioned about the CO detector position being up high, the vents in the walls on mine seem to be flowing well so I doubt it would accumulate in mine anyway...lol, what will actually make CO anyway at night ?? a diesel heater maybe ???

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
Hey @Holden_man must be a qld thing re roadworthy when we sold our van in vic didnt need one and then when we sold the latest one in 2014 to a guy in qld we didnt know you needed one or a gas cert we left it up to him to organise

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The gas and diesel heaters combustion chambers are inside the unit, inside the van but its a sealed unit with intake and exhauat from outsude.

Good idea about the gas checks. I had my gas plumber pressure test the system after I added the second bayonet.

I also bought a gas leak wand, to check at the connections.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As I thought stupidity plays a big part in getting regulations made but the same people that the CO detector is supposed to save are probably the same ones that take it down as it makes too much noise when they are using the stove for a heater at night.......

Getting a gas check done is a good idea but like a roadworthy or other safety check it's only good for the time it was inspected but how often should it be done ?????
I suppose distance travelled would be a better yardstick than time as some vans only move once a year.....I have gone round and did the spray with soapy water trick on the connections a couple of times to see how things were.

Reactions: Holden_man

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
So i really want to install an LPG detector in the van, but ive never installed anything like this before....have no experience hardwiring to a battery like this. Im fairly easily taught and pick things up easily and have a good dose of common sense.....just wondering if its still possible for me to self install?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
If you have basic 12 volt experience you'll be fine @Hiluxpanda
Mount it in a location where you can get cables to one of the fuse +ve and -ve connections on the setec and just use a couple of blade connectors and you're done..... Or, alternatively, you could also connect direct to the battery terminals but make sure the +ve is fused!

Reactions: Drover