Starcraft And another Starcraft 17.58-3

megcam

Or are you sitting in it outside dreaming of the shakedown trip ;)
The wife says it's dark and I must come inside now. But there are so many LED's I say:p

An awesome day. Handover went well with the only issue being the screw on the table bracket came out while we were there (instead of on the drive home like everyone elses). A little scary pulling out into peak hour traffic on a wet road as this is much bigger than the camper trailer. The Paj towed the van well and will feel better when I fit the WDH and McHitch I have sitting downstairs.

The van fits on the retaining wall I built which is good and it only took me 3 goes to back it in which I'm happy with as I've never towed a dual axle. Didn't take many pics as I was too busy trying to absorb everything so just 1 of the van ready for set up and 1 of me looking a little confused. Now to find the time to get away.

20151027_161832.jpeg 20151027_161849.jpeg

megcam

A question for anyone towing a 17.58 with a late model Pajero (@greynt?) Do you use a WDH? If not what suspension work have you had done? If so do you find the WDH hitch receiver limits departure angle on the vehicle too much? I have dreams of going back to Palm Valley with the van in tow but doubt I'd get in with my current set up. Love to hear others experience towing off road.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have never towed the Starcraft with a paj but did tow the expanda with one and without a wdh. We had kings progressive rate rear springs. The pajs suspension standard is useless for towing a bow trailer. Just check out how much of a pounding the rear bump stops cop on a paj. The expanda had a higher ball load than the 17:58-3. I would think that if loaded sensibly you would have no issues with a paj and no wdh.

Reactions: megcam

megcam

Unfortunately I feel like I've spent more time in the van in my front yard than away at the moment. Life always seems to get busier when you buy a new toy to enjoy. Put a couple of sensor lights in today so thought I'd take some pics showing the off side annex light, jerry can holder, rear spare & bike rack. A quick question for anyone with the Thetford fridge. Does the fan in it avoid the need of adding fans to the vents?

DSCN4785.JPG DSCN4787.JPG DSCN4789.JPG DSCN4792.JPG DSCN4793.JPG DSCN4795.JPG DSCN4796.JPG DSCN4801.JPG DSCN4804.JPG DSCN4807.JPG

Last edited:

megcam

Another weekend away with this time the Big 4 North Star Hastings Point the destination. Got home early from work on Friday at 4.45pm and after finally hitching up the bloody brake controller went into limp mode so I then had to find the manual to then find it had no instructions about how to reset the controller. Gave it the Microsoft fix of turn everything off, unplug and start again. All good. Finally underway at about 6pm in squalley wind & rain. Also got my first taste of being pushed around overtaking and being overtaken by B Doubles. Good fun in the dark and rain:baby:

Nice park with great kid facilities and they even offerred to park my van with the tractor after our late arrival at 8.30pm (cursed day light savings). I declined the offer as I need the practice. Kids loved the water park and kids club and the wife an I enjoyed sitting still with a few beverages. Weather wasn't much chop which seems to be a recurring theme in our little travels but the law of averages means more chance of great weather next time. A couple of pics:
1-DSCN4822.JPG
2-DSCN4824.JPG

Last edited:

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
A question for anyone towing a 17.58 with a late model Pajero (@greynt?) Do you use a WDH? If not what suspension work have you had done? If so do you find the WDH hitch receiver limits departure angle on the vehicle too much? I have dreams of going back to Palm Valley with the van in tow but doubt I'd get in with my current set up. Love to hear others experience towing off road.

Hi @megcam, apologies for the late reply, not on here as much as I used to be.
Yes we use a WDH pretty much all the time. I was looking at airbags, which I still might do in the future. As for Palm Valley, we towed the van in with the WDH still on, and it was fine. We have a 2" lift with 70 series tyres and had no problems, must admit it was just as the grader had finished though... Awesome place, loved it there.
Just make sure you try and get there earlier rather than later, as the spots fill pretty quick. We also topped up with diesel at Hermansberg.

Reactions: megcam