Starcraft And another Starcraft 17.58-3

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
@megcam OMG where did you get that toilet roll holder from?! I need one, great idea.
And being that I don't yet have my van I have no idea what you did to the drawer. Does anyone have a before pic?
And lastly where did you buy that cool dish drainer? Looks like it would be easy to store when not in use.

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
I would like to know where you got the toilet roll holder as well :)
FiveinAVan ,my dishdrainer is almost identical (collapsible) came from Kmart $10 :)

Reactions: FiveInAVan

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Love the drawer - not seen that before........another mod yo the list!
Also wanting to know the supplier of the toilet roll holder? ( our 1997 caravan in the UK had a Thetford cassette toilet that had a built in waterproof toilet roll holder - pity our new toilet doesn't have the features of one nearly 20 years ago).

megcam

Hi All

Toilet roll holder was an ebay find. Lots to chose from here (I went with the cheapy $10-$12 one) http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...on+cup+toilet+roll+holder+waterproof&_sacat=0 . I dont think it'll ever qualify for an IP type waterproof rating but should stop the old soggy paper problem from an accidental spray or just forgetting to put the roll outside.

Drawer mod is from this site somewhere. Sorry no before photos.

Looks like we got the same dish drainer @SMJ *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* $10 from the kitchen storage section at Kmart. http://www.kmart.com.au/product/collapsible-dish-drainer/712072?gclid=CIqE6tafm8sCFUYIvAodZlQJ2w

Last edited:

megcam

A bit of fun this weekend. Was supposed to be getting stuck into the diesel heater install but the weather in Brisbane on Saturday had another idea. Spent about $14 and made myself a 12v clock instead. Had originally intended to mount the clock near the drifta panel or somewhere else but couldn't quite decide so I made it portable. Clock from ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterpro...hash=item3f5ef3ba4e:m:mZEjakZ5esHq2RAk7Nzu6YQ

$_57.JPG

Enclosure is just a juntion box from Bunnings.
3-DSCF0187.JPG 4-DSCF0190.JPG

Second project was to get the fuel tank for the heater mounted up. Ended up joining to the jerry holder with this:
1-DSCF0184.JPG 2-DSCF0185.JPG

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Reactions: megcam

megcam

95% done on the heater installation. Need to tidy off the fuel line, exhaust & air intake and add the ducting. Have ordered a couple of different air vents which I'm hoping will arrive by Saturday. Didn't want to cut the hole to fit the Eberspacher one and then find out these new ones were slightly smaller. Took me a fair bit longer than other times quoted on here but am happy with whats been done. It's my first real mod I think and there is nothing quite as breathtaking as taking to your floor with a 125mm hole saw. Was a case of measure 19 times cut once. Will post pics on the weekend as I finish it off.

megcam

Got a few things done this weekend. Finished up the heater install and ran it for a few hours this afternoon. Had to leave the van as it was too hot! Winter maybe coming in Brisbane this year but it's not here yet. Had to crank the heat setting to 30c to get things going. As you can see from the pics my install was greatly inspered by @17triton. Tis a great site we have here where we can all learn from each other.
2-DSCN4840.JPG
1-DSCN4843.JPG

I ordered 2 vents online a couple of weeks ago as the Eberspacher one fouls the bottom drawer a little. Hopefully they come before we go away next week end.

Put some shelves in the cupboards down the back. Again inspiration from this forum with some melamine from Bunnings that looks pretty close to the standard finish.

3-DSCN4838.JPG
4-DSCN4836.JPG

I'm not ready to give up my day job to become a cabinet maker just yet but they'll do. Bring on next Saturday for 2 weeks away to enjoy the mods:D

megcam

Pick the van up from its 1 year service this afternoon. Only a couple of warranty issues. The small side window near the main bed cracked near the hinge, 4 LEDs have failed in the awning strip light, the little springs and ball bearings from the arms on the bunk window went AWOL (possibly assisted by small hands). Will see how they go.

Reactions: Geoffury150

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Hi @megcam how does the Paj go towing the van, we are waiting on a 17.58-1 OB to be delivered in Dec and are thinking of upgrading the tug to one.

Is your suspension standard and do you use a WDH?

Whats the economy like towing?

Sorry for all the Q's

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Hi @megcam how does the Paj go towing the van, we are waiting on a 17.58-1 OB to be delivered in Dec and are thinking of upgrading the tug to one.

Is your suspension standard and do you use a WDH?

Whats the economy like towing?

Sorry for all the Q's

G'day @JS4910, sorry to cut in on @megcam, we travelled for 4 months last year with a 17.58-3OB and a NT Paj diesel. We had a DP CHIP and a bigger exhaust which gave extra grunt.
I put a 2" lift Lovells/Bilstein combo.
I did blow both rear shockers on the way to Mitchell Falls off the Gibb River Rd. (Could not blame the car for that).We used a Hayman Reese WDH 275kg. Fuel economy was around 16-17ltrs p/100kms.
Car was pretty well loaded and also had a LRA 81ltr auxiliary tank. Nothing on the roof. Ball weight would be approx 220ish kgs. Great car, very capable, just have to be careful of the towball weights. Very well suited to this size van.
Happy to help if you have any other questions.
Cheers
Greynt

Reactions: JS4910 and G Daddy

megcam

No probs @greynt. The more info the better.

Our NT Pajero is stock motor and suspension and we also use a Hayman Reece WDH. Without it the car is way too bouncy. The Pajero has been great but is getting a bit tired at close to 200k kms. I'm tossing round the pros and cons of spending ~$5k on similar goodies to @greynt ie chip, exhaust & suspension versus trading it on something new.

Fuel economy ranges from 16-20l/100km depending on how much of a hurry I'm in, headwinds, terrain etc. Very happy with the Pajero overall and would buy another tomorrow if I never want tow anything bigger than the 17.58-3 or travel with a dog that is known to be a bit smelly from time to time

Reactions: JS4910 and G Daddy

AndyD

Feb 25, 2014
Croydon Hills
Hi @greynt and @megcam - I have similar questions to @JS4910 about the NT Pajero and 17.58-3 combo - as I'm on the hunt for both (upgrading from our 14.44-4 and an Outlander) so have been scouring the forums for advice and getting plenty :)
We've got a list of extras we're proposing to add to the van from new (going to the show on Thursday) but I'm concerned they'll push us over 2500kgs and trigger the reduced towball capacity on the Paj (180kg).
Would be really interested in the numbers on your vans.
Cheers