Starcraft And another Starcraft 17.58-3

megcam

Hi all have been lurking on this forum for some time now and have finally signed up for a new 17.58-3 with delivery by end of October. Only basic options for us with:
picnic table
roof aircon
bigger fridge
bike rack
radio/ext speakers
drifter
Wind up tv ant

Seems the 2015 spec model comes standard with gas bayonet, external 12v & TV outlet. Would have liked extended drawbar (space restrictions apply) & ESC ($ restrictions apply) but pretty happy for our first van. Was doing a fair bit of reading on ESC and may fit one later but for now will focus on a properly set up and balanced rig.

The model has been around for some time now so for those with them what options do you wish you had gotten and what options do you have that you wished you hadn't paid for?

Thanks

Cameron

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
congrats @megcam we have the -1 with the -3 is there a 12v down the bunk end? if not get one put in easier factory.
Is it outback or touring? If Touring have you thought to undersling it?

One thing I wish we got done was get the trifold table.. @Chrisv got one done
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/th...-3-options-quirks-post-them-here.5166/page-22

Another handy thing would of been a external awning light on the other side of the van.

not long to go.. will be fun when its here

Reactions: megcam

megcam

Thanks all. Forgot to mention it is an outback model. Yes have the trifold table on the list of things to confirm tomorrow along with colour choices. Will save the link to @Chrisv 's to my phone.12v outlet above the cupboard down the back is a good idea. Haven't bothered with an external shower so is the offside light worthwhile? Are they bright enough to be able to sort out plumbing etc if arriving after dark?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks all. Forgot to mention it is an outback model. Yes have the trifold table on the list of things to confirm tomorrow along with colour choices. Will save the link to @Chrisv 's to my phone.12v outlet above the cupboard down the back is a good idea. Haven't bothered with an external shower so is the offside light worthwhile? Are they bright enough to be able to sort out plumbing etc if arriving after dark?
Welcome @megcam. I regret forgetting the offside light, and will remedy that at some point. The annex lights are reasonably bright, and youll kick yourself now youve mentioned it, dont get it, and then need it

megcam

For $85 we went with the extra annex light. Decided against the trifold table at the last minute on the basis we would lose a bit more leg room with the wall unit. May regret that later but we are upgrading from a soft floor camper and will only use inside table in bad weather. Now just have to get the car electrics and van home ready in the next 14 weeks.

Chrisv

Jan 30, 2015
Bundaberg
I'd definitely get the 12v outlet beside the bunks for a 12v tv for the kids, the light above the water outlet/fitting would of been good and if you have kids get the bike rack fitted, have a look at burnsy with his option for a rear tow ball mount......we ended up with the Fiamma rear mount type . Also think about some sort of storage at the front a frame for a bbq, we have a webber baby q and its a pain in the bum taking it in and out of the van. We have the trifold table and love it, we fit our sullage hose and water hose in a bag on the front spare wheel, it saves a ton of room in the from boot. Good luck you will love it

Reactions: megcam

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Our Weber Q200 is currently under the bed. We moved the spare to the rear on the -1 to put a box on the front even with the standard drawbar. Just getting around to looking at doing it now.
On ours I am pretty sure this is the access door I have 33x28 cm on my notes which matches below
http://www.rvpartsexpress.com.au/access-door-1-white-399-x-349-black.html

@Spider73 got the spare and bike rack on the rear if you want to do a toolbox?
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/th...up-rear-spare-and-bike-rack.6765/#post-110571

Reactions: Spider73

TerriD

Feb 19, 2014
Northern NSW
Hi @megcam welcome to the forum, we have 17.58.3 touring and love it. Its absolutely magic to tow we have just done 4 days in Dubbo followed by 4 days at Burrendong dam. The floor plan is excellent for families, the more we use the van the more we love it. Hope the wait till October goes quick for you
Regards @TerriD

megcam

Thanks @TerriD! Keeping myself busy with lists of things that need to be done/bought before Oct eg brake controller, WDH, retaining wall to fit the van in the front yard and long lists of mods found on here.

Burrendong looks a nice spot. How did the van go in the cold?

TerriD

Feb 19, 2014
Northern NSW
Hi @megcam , it was very cold there but we spent a few days at Dubbo prior to Burrendong and it was a lot colder there. I leave our jug out on the picnic table and when I got up in the morning there was a layer of ice on top of the water in the jug. The van was fine in the cold we used the aircon while it was effective and when it got too cold (normal for caravan ac not to work below certain temperature) we used a small blow heater and that kept us warm. I came across a guy and his wife there from TAS and he had a LPG gas blow heater (especially designed for caravans) mounted under the bed, it took up very little room and the fan ran off 12 volt. Thats an option I wouldnt mind exploring.
Regards @TerriD