Exterior Wind Velocity

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
This may have been covered before but I can't find.
What is the highest wind velocity that an expanda pop top is safe at ? How much wind can they take before the roof is ripped off or the poly skirting is torn?
I have tried to ring a couple of Jayco agents and they can't tell me. Then rang Jayco and they are so helpful (not). Told me there was nobody around to answer my question and they would get back to me. I'll wait for that

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Usually after the awning moves to the other side but before the wheels do a 180....... :p :p

I have had a gully raker storm close the roof on us once, bluddy big gust it was with buckets of water... I think speed would be difficult to pin point, too many variables, a severe gust vould flip you and pop top be okay.

Last edited:

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
My mate was getting around 60 knot gusts up at Cooktown one night a couple of weeks ago.Not much fun at night he said ,already had the awning in but left poptop up .No damage at all.

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
Well don't feel bad if you don't know the answer. I rang Jayco, direct and they couldn't tell me. They said it wasn't the sort of thing they did tests on. The vans are not built to a standard.

I could have told them that.

• Haha
Reactions: BJM and Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Well don't feel bad if you don't know the answer. I rang Jayco, direct and they couldn't tell me. They said it wasn't the sort of thing they did tests on. The vans are not built to a standard.

I could have told them that.
Funny they carnt tell you anything about there product not surprising ask them how the wheels go on mmmmm have to a service manager to ring you back waiting waiting waiting there hopeless at times

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have honestly never thought of ringing a dealer or manufacturer when I have a querie about any vehicle, once I have bought the thing thats it forget about them.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
here is my take on wind velocity.
Having a Penguin camper, we are much more aware of wind and more likely to suffer damage as a result of wind.

It would be difficult to define a specification of wind condition, let alone try to design to withstand this specified wind.

Whilst it would be reasonably easy to define a specification for a wind of constant velocity, unfortunately wind doesn't work that way.

The most damaging winds are gusts, especially gusts that come from different directions. These will be the most damaging ones.
Think about your poptop being hit with series of 30km/h gusts, alternating in direction. The first one pushing the roof to its limit in one direction, then suddenly, whipping around to gust in the opposite direction at 30km/h. That would be massively more likely to cause damage then a continuous wind at 60kmh.

Bracing the roof with ropes will help a lot since it will reduce the damage caused by such wind gusts.

In effect, when people talk of wind speed, it is mostly only an average. A 20km/h wind will very seldom be 20km for a sustained period. Any domestic measuring device will not be capable of providing much help in determining the velocity of wind gusts. Certainly not very intense wind gusts of very short duration. And these are the gusts that will most likely cause the most damage.

Over several years of camping, we have encountered severe wind on only two occasions.
Once at Lake Meredith near Colac which is notorious for strong winds coming across the lake.
The wind was strong enough that it was blowing tents away. We ended up putting the roof down, when a neighbour with a caravan came across and invited us to come inside and wait it out. I later discovered that there were nulls around the shore where the wind was noticeably less than in other places. We just happened to have set up where the wind was actually worse. We shifted about 300m away into a much calmer spot.

Second time was at Port Albert. The wind was really gusting. First pushing the top across in one direction and then whamm, shifting around and hitting full force in the other direction. By 2am, after no chance of sleeping, and becoming worried about possible damage, we pulled up stumps and came home.

As well as tying the roof down. We have done two other things to reduce the impact from wind. One is to point the van into the wind with the car attached. This presents the least surface of the van for the wind to act on and the car provides a wind break.
The other is to unhitch the car and position it to act as a wind break.

take care
Mike

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Very good description on what really causes the damage to non-permanent structures. It is the intermittent high velocity gusts that are the real problem and especially if alternating in direction. In my Penguin, just like yours @mikerezny , I too have been subjected to some fierce winds, fierce enough to bring down 30 metre iron bark trees nearby. Didn't break trees themselves, but pulled them out of soft , dampened ground at root level. Scary!! But no damage. Perhaps it is because I have a basic awning (from sail track, not roll out or fiamma type) which is roped down at 4 points with 6 spring tie downs to good pegs. Also usually have smaller awnings (also roped down the same way) attached to sail tracks at front, side and rear at times if weather looks rainy. I have had 70kph winds in thunderstorm blow right through the awing (no annex attached at that time) and from rear of van with no affect except everything that was under awning was soaked and moved from one side of covered area to the other. But not gusting very much - just horizontal rain/wind - and from the one direction. Just recently at Caloundra caravan park, had winds from the west/south west gusting 60 to 70kph onto kitchen side of van. Much flapping from awing and annex and rather disconcerting seeing other peoples' exterior equipment (gazebos, roll out awnings with no anti-flat, tarps etc) buckling, bending and tearing around you in a crowded caravan park. Bad movement at times, but still stable. Perhaps it is where you camp at times, or the low profile or how well secured with the correct lashings? Anyway, just as a precaution, I intend to change the through bolts for the roof to bolts with external "eye" fittings as you have Mike, just in case more high velocity winds come up. That will give more stability to roof. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the idea.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
This may have been covered before but I can't find.
What is the highest wind velocity that an expanda pop top is safe at ? How much wind can they take before the roof is ripped off or the poly skirting is torn?
I have tried to ring a couple of Jayco agents and they can't tell me. Then rang Jayco and they are so helpful (not). Told me there was nobody around to answer my question and they would get back to me. I'll wait for that
We've had 60 and no issues, and we've been hammered by 80+ gusts on the rise over the beach at South West Rocks in the direct line of fire to the onshore storm. The wind was so back we had to close the rear bed for fear it would rip to off. My son wasnt strong enough to open the van door, and the Princess was struggling

Reactions: Disco Duck

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
Good replies and sound knowledge......thank you.
I am camped in an open paddock about a kilometre from the beach, north of Adelaide, as caretaker of a movie set. The wind comes howling over here from all directions. At the time of writing the original question the wind was forecast to around 50kph and gusting to 68.
During the evening it got really bad and I got concerned so went to pull the roof down but the wind got in under the edge and wouldn't let me pull it down. When I got it down on one end, the other popped up on the edge. Being on my own I couldn't pull both ends down at the same time. This went on for some time with no lull in the wind. Eventually there was a small break in the wind and I was able to get the roof down. A bit frightening there for a while.
It appears that something got bent (either gas struts or the roof lifters) as the roof won't close straight down anymore. It's about an inch to one side on one corner and this means that I can't get the roof latch on to that corner.
So that got me wondering how much they can really handle.
Damn thing probably would have been okay if I had left it up